5 Speed Box Trouble

mantaboy89

Having trouble with the gearbox on my cav, after about 300-350 miles the clutch starts dragging and its difficult to select gears, adjust the clutch and it ok for another 300 or so miles but then needs adjusting again, checked the cable and its fine, it happens gradually over 300 miles so has left me confused about it, hope someone can help.

When you say adjust the clutch, do you mean the cable or the fork? I know it sounds daft, but you've got the locking nut on the end of the clutch cable as well, right?

Only other things I can think are the cable stretching if it's a new one or if it's a really old one it could be starting to fray inside the outer. If you've been adjusting the bolt at the top of the bellhousing for the clutch fork, I'm guessing you've been using Loctite or something like that on it?

I know you've probably been through all this given what you do for a living, just going through the obvious stuff because it's amazing how many times I've been caught out by really simple things that I should have spotted!

Check the other end of the clutch arm, the one thats on the adjustable ball pivot.

I've had one where the lock nut wasn't tight and the use/vibration was winding the adjuster stud out so the clutch couldn't be disengaged fully.

Thanks for all the help guys, it does seem to be a dodgy earth strap, changing it tomorow, been having a bit of starting difficulty with it to so hopefully a new strap and cable will sort it out, anyone got a rough idea what mpg i should be getin from a 2.0s with 5 speed box?

yes .had the faulty engine earth lead a few times over the years. lead is made of copper & can look ok but just crumble away when pulled. this causes the heavy current drawn by the starter to find its way through anything it can. throttle cable,choke cable,clutch cable.speedo cable !!!