Manta Gt From South Africa

Stev0

for those of you who saw me introduce myself a while ago, i'm happy to report i picked her up on the weekend.. still licenced and running..

the only three things not original on her is the carb, wheels and spotlights.. apart from a slight overheating problem she starts immediately everytime, burns white and drives super smooth.. all electrics work perfectly, minimal rust, windscreen slightly cracked, dash board sun damaged and bonnet paint burnt from the tarpaulin she was kept under. still can't believe i got the guy to sell!

IMAG0006.jpg

IMAG0019.jpg

DSC04237.jpg

DSC04245.jpg

IMAG0007.jpg

Drove her around the weekend, an absolute awesome vehicle! got 4 different (and decent) offers in one day, excluding the asshole who tried to pull me off the road.. so just for the record and to avoid broken hearts, this car is not for sale ;)

what you guys think?

• Like 1

Thanks mate,

Ye she's an absolute gem of a find.. The roof is vinyl and if i'm not mistaken it is indeed original..

I'm very much split in two minds about original vs slight mods.. this car is very very original for it's age and i'd feel kinda bad replacing the brake booster with something more effective, trading the wash water bottle for something more sleek or swopping the lazy old lump for something lighter and more powerful, BUT on the other hand technology has come so far since 1972, and why shouldn't she have better stopping power, better suspension, a lighter, more efficient crossflow motor? the original carb is unattainable so I'm very much inclined to favor the idea of a nice set of sidedrafts, and since i'm going that far, why not "improve" other areas too?

I don't know Rob, maybe the manta owners of the UK have suggestions...

paul that looks really good.. must run like a beast.. what drivetrain and differential did you put in? looks like a custom built radiator.. i like what you've done by stripping that radiator shroud out and mounting the radiator directly onto the front cradle..

The gearbox is a Getrag 265 from an Opel Monza matched to the Rover bell housing, Commodore prop shaft and narrowed Commodore B GSE rear axle with LSD and disc brakes. Front hubs and stub axles are also Commodore B. Brakes are Willwood callipers on the front and Senator 38mm callipers on the rear. The brake master cylinder is also Commodore which is mounted no the relocated Manta brake servo. The chassis legs have been extended forward and new cross members constructed one in front of the radiator between the two chassis legs and one running below the radiator as can be seen in the photos.

The last image is an earlier photo showing the 3.9 Rover engine I had in the car a couple of years ago, just to illustrate the relocated brake servo.

Chassis300405003.jpg

Chassis300405004.jpg

enginebaystripdown033.jpg

enginebaystripdown032.jpg

Mantainthemaking008.jpg

fronthubs005.jpg

Engine02.jpg

Edited by paul1393

thats very impressive.. I doubt i'll modify mine to that extent but only time will tell.

i was thinking of a 20SEH motor with twin 40 webers linked up to the original drive train.. Maybe use the bottom end off an isuzu 2.2L (straight fit on the opel cylinder head) for that extra bit of torque..

Is that drive train and diff good for additional power or should i seriously consider a replacement?I'm looking at 100kW max for now.. LSD would be quite nice but they're pricey..

You'll be fine with the stock drive train. The 2800cc Manta produced in small numbers in Holland had the stock drive train with the Commodore 6 cylinder engine. I would imagine the torque from that motor would exceed the 20SEH or even the 2.2 and 2.4 CiH 4 cylinder motors.

I think there was a 6 cylinder CiH engine fitted to some Opel sold in Africa or was it badged Chevrolet in S.A.? Could be another option for you! The bell housing bolt pattern on the 4 and 6 cylinder CiH engines are the same.

• Like 1

You'll be fine with the stock drive train. The 2800cc Manta produced in small numbers in Holland had the stock drive train with the Commodore 6 cylinder engine. I would imagine the torque from that motor would exceed the 20SEH or even the 2.2 and 2.4 CiH 4 cylinder motors.

I think there was a 6 cylinder CiH engine fitted to some Opel sold in Africa or was it badged Chevrolet in S.A.? Could be another option for you! The bell housing bolt pattern on the 4 and 6 cylinder CiH engines are the same.

invaluble info that can only be picked up from experience.. many thanks paul, i'm quite keen on the straight-6 route, for the sound those motors produce.. :drool:

Thanks mate,

Ye she's an absolute gem of a find.. The roof is vinyl and if i'm not mistaken it is indeed original..

I'm very much split in two minds about original vs slight mods.. this car is very very original for it's age and i'd feel kinda bad replacing the brake booster with something more effective, trading the wash water bottle for something more sleek or swopping the lazy old lump for something lighter and more powerful, BUT on the other hand technology has come so far since 1972, and why shouldn't she have better stopping power, better suspension, a lighter, more efficient crossflow motor? the original carb is unattainable so I'm very much inclined to favor the idea of a nice set of sidedrafts, and since i'm going that far, why not "improve" other areas too?

I don't know Rob, maybe the manta owners of the UK have suggestions...

As always mentioned on this site, it's your car do with her what you like. Like other Manta A cars paul1393 especially (Gorgeous Car), they look stock from the outside, as the lines are great on the car (IMO). Good luck with what ever you do, the car is in good hands I believe.

• Like 1

Well, i've been looking around here and there for a suitable powerplant for the manta.. I'm still deadset on not going all aluminum V8 (for now), so I considered following the TE2800 route, source me an old straight six commodore motor and stick that in, but although i'm going to have the desired sound, all fingers point to the motor being too heavy for the application.

The more favored route would be the 20SEH, keeping it brand specific and parts are dirt easy to get hold of. Because its a RWD i obviously want a bit more torque than your average 8v kadett, i'm considering using the 2.4 isuzu sub-assembly with the opel 8v head for a better power delivery low-down.. that, coupled with a decently tuned set of 40's and oversized valves will give me exactly what i'm looking for..