76 Coupe ( Hovis )

casper1483

Cheers for that pal, I've sorted the fuel leek out and also found a jet blocked, so it's more responsive on the throttle, it's now had the bumpers, spoiler and rear lights taken off and the bonnet masked up so it can be wet flatted again then buffed, it was shiny out of the gun so it's going to be even shinier now, waiting to tax it now so it can have a proper shake down before the rolling road and then billing :-D

• 2 weeks later...

Taxed and Tested, Let the shake down begin,

44912ddd.jpg

Shall be coming to Billing powered by my old 32/36, The twin 40's are acting daft and I cant get to rolling road till the 10th, I think its cutting it abit fine, still goes well and I know the carb is reliable,

Forgot how much fun it is in the rain :-0

The twin 40's were off the clock when it went on the emission tester to the point where we had to change all the filters and blow the line out on the testing machine :-/ , then when it was back near the guidelines ;-) it was flat as a fart and drank motion lotion like a Texan flame thrower, so I decided that because I can't get to the rolling road till the 10th and Billing was on the 13th it was cutting it too fine for the maiden voyage, it is going to have twin 40's but to ensure I will get to Billing I'll do it riding on a 32/36,

Just had a mare with Hovis, it was being a sod to start then had developed a miss fire when it was cold, put this down to a dud plug, so via Fliebay bought some all singing all dancing plugs to cure the problem, 20 mile later misfire again and won't start from cold and then fouls the plugs, not thinking it could be the plugs I spat my dummy out and took off dizzy cap ,rotor , plug leads and king lead and went to the motor spares, all now nice and new, started it up and the misfire from cold was still there, I felt at the four branch and no 3 was cold, spark was going to the plug as I've got four of those things that light up that go on the HT's, turns out it was another dud plug, I've now got a varied selection in but it's on four,

Could it be eating plugs I've had four NGK R BPR6HS and then it had four Bosch Super 4 R 6 891 so not cheap but purchased off Fliebay, maybe I've been unlucky to get two duds or their the wrong ones,

Anybody any alternatives, ????

Mick,

Have you still got those 40's fitted? Is it getting fuel to all four cylinders? To set the fuel mixture on those carbs... Wind all the mixture screws ( the ones with the springs on them ) all the way in and then back out one full turn and a quarter. Then slowly rev the engine and listen for it spitting back through the rampipes. If it spits back whilst slowly incresing the revs, then turn all four of the mixture screws a quarter of a turn out and repeat the slow revving of the engine. As soon as it stops spitting back whilst doing this slow revving up...the mixture is correct. You can easily wind them back in at the next MOT to get it within the limits. Have you also had the tops of the carbs off to check the floats condition and height when fuel needle valves are open and closed and also the needle valves seats for pitting/wear which usually causes fuel to dribble out of the rampipes at idle or when the engine is shut off? Give us a ring if you get stuck Mick.....Luke.

Hey up pal, it was on twin 40 dcoe's, now on a 32/36 webber, fuel was dripping from no 2 on to exhaust manifold( not good ) coming from between manifold and carb, tried all things you said prior to removing, think there's sumat amiss inside that I keep overlooking, think I'll have them done up by that garage in Dinnington, then refit and rolling road......

Just been reading a thread on here about ride hieght and it made me think of the ride down fully loaded with three people, tent and beer, think I'm going to put standard GTE rear springs on, may be abit high empty but loaded it will be ok, plus it might give it a bit of ground clearence for the puddle duck ..........

just purchased a stable mate for Hovis,

b97b5ae1.jpg

drove it home today, 70 faultless miles, even original radio works, handling is different, its like a jelly on the corners but really smooth on the straight, ive seen this car before as i donated an axle to it, its not as bad as somebody made out, yes its abit rusty and if you were going to fully restore it then yes you probably would need some of the things listed, I on the other hand intend to use it as an every day Hack, most of the nuts and bolts stuff has been done from head gasket, belts carb refirb to a new clutch,credit to the last owner,I will only replace stuff as bits fall off, its not getting modified, might get GTE alloys on some time in the future as ive got some with good tyres on so why buy some more,Im led to believe there isnt many of these left, theyve all been raped by the valver lot of all their sumps and gear boxes, I'll try to keep this out of their hands till such a point where its dropping to bits,

Yes Luke it does look like a scared cat :-)

Edited by casper1483
  • Like 1

Ha Ha,You read my mind Mick. Darren's got a spare Red top sat in his garage and so has Rob. I'd stick an Ascona front end on it with a 400 bumper and lose the rear spoiler. It would look like a big Kadett coupe. No, seriously it looks like a really good car. I'll look forward to seeing it soon. ...Luke.

• Like 1