Omega V6 Front Calipers

mickappy

got Calibra Turbo Calipers on my Manta, Mick. They are the earlier Cally T calipers so not as big as yours, but I see no reason why you should have issues with the calipers and discs as you suggest.

I was gonna do exact the same as you until Mantasrme and Kev told me I could use the RS500 discs eith the calipers i was using.

Bolt pitch of GM calipers is a standard size across the range.

Edited by opel2000

Depends what year of omega i think. The earlier ones will bolt on but i'm not sure if the later ones will.

I bought a pair of mk4 astra calipers thinking they were the same bolt spacing and they are much larger spacing :(

Clive has the 284mm early calibra turbo calipers and RWD cossie discs (they have the right offset not to need a spacer) which is a nice easy conversion for big brakes.

Could use vectra v6 calipers and volvo 740 turbo discs as the vectra calipers are meant for 288mm discs and the volvo items are 287mm

Interesting, not heard of the volvo discs as an option before. Can they be re-drilled to fit the manta hub without hitting any of the existing holes?

i made the mistake of thinking all vauxhall hub bolt spacing where the same too, ive got some vectra c calipers i was going to use with 302mm discs but the spacing is miles off:( vectra b calipers tho are the same which i already run with 288mm discs on my hatch.

looking at the omega 296 discs now, they are 58.4mm tall.. where as the manta ones are 55mm (laid flat). not sure if these will fit??

prob end up going with the 288mm set up again.. and im not sure they will go under 16" wheels??

The 288 and 296 Omega A 3000 (Carlton GSI) front brakes is a direct fit both discs and calipers. But you need to get a small bit of material removed from either your hub or the disc (4 mm inside the disc) so its centered in the caliper. And of course it needs to be re-drilled to fit the hub. I have a set that will go on my Manta A series project, and those discs are massive i tell you ! B)

The 288 and 296 Omega A 3000 (Carlton GSI) front brakes is a direct fit both discs and calipers. But you need to get a small bit of material removed from either your hub or the disc (4 mm inside the disc) so its centered in the caliper. And of course it needs to be re-drilled to fit the hub. I have a set that will go on my Manta A series project, and those discs are massive i tell you ! B)

From memory the carlton has a 59 or 60mm offset and the manta has 56. So you've skimmed 4mm off the mounting face of the disc?

Not sure i'd be happy with that idea myself. You could just use 4mm spacers between the caliper and upright to move the caliper inboard the 4mm to line up with the disc of course.

Oh and if you need to machine the disc and drill 4 new mounting holes its not a 'Direct fit' ;)

As the Omega discs are twice the thickness of original Manta Discs on the mounting surface this is not something i really consider an issue. Plenty of material left. It is possible to space out the caliper to fit the disc alignment but i am not to keen on that idea. I have had a caliper that broke a bolt and teared off. Made me crash the car as the caliper blocked the frontwheel. An putting in a 4mm disc sounds like a bad idea to me.

Maybe the optimal way would be to remove 2mm from the disc and 2 mm from the hub.

When i was reffering to it as a direct fit i was talking about the calipers. Other disc combinations are possible, and the Honda Prelude disc is a possibility that will make it a direct fit. Sorry about that mistake, i can see i wasn´t clear on that ;)

Not had a set of the carlton discs in my hands so didn't know the fronts were that much thicker.

Still not sure i like the idea of thinning them but if you've run them and had no issue thats a good sign it works ok.

Think i'll stick with the 284 setup and cossie discs that are 56mm offset to start with

As for the direct fit comment i just didn't want someone to read it and buy the bits only to find it isn't as simple as that.

No, discs should never be thinned down, can't believe i actually read that, modern sliding calipers hould centralise themselves on the discs anyway, the pistons are never gonna reach their limits in case people were thinking that is a conern.

Edited by opel2000

No, discs should never be thinned down, can't believe i actually read that, modern sliding calipers hould centralise themselves on the discs anyway, the pistons are never gonna reach their limits in case people were thinking that is a conern.

Its not the disc that are to be thinned down. Its the mounting surface of the disc to get the right offset for the disc, and as stated one can remove 4 mm from the mounting surface of the hub instead and get the same result if people are not ok with removing material from the disc.

The disc needs to run right in the middle of the gap between the brake pads, thats why you need to offset it correctly..

Its not the disc that are to be thinned down. Its the mounting surface of the disc to get the right offset for the disc, and as stated one can remove 4 mm from the mounting surface of the hub instead and get the same result if people are not ok with removing material from the disc.

The disc needs to run right in the middle of the gap between the brake pads, thats why you need to offset it correctly..

I'll say again................

I WOULD STRONGLY ADVISE ANYONE NOT TO GO "THINNING DISCS DOWN ANYWHERE ON THE MANUFACTURERS PRODUCT" Manufacturers are not in the habit of using excessive materials if they do not need to.

It is advice such as this that causes modified cars to fail and attract attention and clamping down on modifiers from the DVLA

Also with twin piston or with sliding type calipers, they will always centre themselves on the disc, excessive piston travel should be easily spotted upon installation.