Rear Disc Conversion.

taylorblue5

Hi, im looking for some info on the parts required to convert to rear discs on my gte.

I have the mk4 Astra alloy calipers and a set of ford weld on mounting brackets are these suitable?

I know from what reasearch i have done on here that vectra diesel discs are used with an astra handbrake cable, Which type and what are the handbrake arrangements i.e drums etc?

If anybody has any info id be much grateful and also looking for required parts.

Also would like to know if there is any specific way to remove the hub assembly, i.e the plate that the studs mount to as mine is stuck and dont want to wreck it with a prize bar.

Nearly finished E36 GRN, on the straights!! Cheers.

Hey taylorblue5

Not done it on a gte but have done it on an a. http://www.theopelproject.com/?p=105

using cossie calipers. its easy, i used the standard cable as on the cossie ones mounted at the top you can use the standard brake cable, just keep the part that fits the drum backing plate, small plastic bit and short metal tube as this hold the cable on the setup i used.

The half shafts will need a bit to remove them as they will probably a bit stuck in if they have never been removed. They use a slide hammer http://toycrazy.net/tech/pics/slidehammer.jpg

im sure you can improvise!

best to fit a new gasket as well. I used BMW 1.8i discs on mine

Hope this helps a bit?

Andy

Couple of points that may help with this:-

When you remove the rear shoe back plate you will need to make up a thin spacer to make up for the thickness of the metal you have just taken out!

Or you could just cut the back plate to do the job!

When welding on the brackets the best way is to fit the new disc making sure its up square against the 1/2shaft flange and the centre spigot hole in the disc has fitted snug over the shaft spigot. Now bolt the calipers to the ford flange and fit new pads. Then place the calipers in the position you want it to sit and using a very low air pressure operate the calipers to clamp it to the disc. This will now hold the calipers true and square while you tack the bracket to the axle tube. You can then strip it down and weld up as required!

I did this same mod with my manta A a few years back.

I had some spacers made up to the correct distance and just bolted the bracket to this so no welding required. i have the template i made but i dont think it will be right for the astra callipers but just right for the ford cossie ones if anyone else is looking to go this route.

I was planning on buying a set of bolt on adapters from Epytec.de. They are made to take the VW Girling rear calipers and discs from VW Golf, Etc. Its also easy to make the handbrake work on these as they are hydraulic and does not have a internal drumbrake..

Hi,

If its any help to you I have looked into this and the weight of discs and calipers is significantly heavier than that of drums and cylinders, can't remember exactly but its quite a few kg's. The drums are fairly large and provided they are propoerly set up and lubricated they are prettly good. I use my manta only on the track and drums are adequate. Don't mean to put you off but its a lot of agravation for very little gain in reality.

Thanks for the info guys! much oblidged.

Tbh Opelman i get ur point but i cant stand the sight of drums behind my nice alloys, lol.

Glad that im on the right track anyway!! I was planning on running a set of wilwood 4 pots up front but cant really justify the dosh for the power im running atm, Anybody know of the best brake set up x cost??

Best option if you don't want to spend too much is a set of volvo 4 pots, they fit straight on without adaptors and you can use vented discs i think from a B series, ran them on my A and they work a treat, might be able to get some off ebay and refurb them. The wilwoods are nice but you need adaptors making up and they don't have dust covers so not the best if its an every day car.

Im sure somebody else will have a different solution, but hope this helps a bit.

Andy

Feck me man, you do not want to be putting Volvo four pots on the rear, the pedal travel when you have these on the front is bad enough due to having so much fluid displacement from the master cylinder, not to mention the overbraking you will get on the rear, the bloody pedal will be hitting the floor before any braking effort is realised.

For anyone else reading this thread, I can only echo Opelman's post,. When the rear drums are set up correctly and the backplates cleaned and greased on the shoe contact points, they do work very vey well, quite surprising the amount of people that think their front brakes are crap due to little braking effort on the rear due to poor maintainence on these old cars.

As for rear drums behind alloy wheels, I always paint mine black so they do not show up as much, wish i could do the same with the front too as even running cossie RS500 discs they still look small behind 17's

Hey opel2000

The volvo 4 pot's was in reference to taylorblue5's later question ( I was planning on running a set of wilwood 4 pots up front but cant really justify the dosh for the power im running atm, Anybody know of the best brake set up x cost??) and a cheap option would be the volvo ones on the front. cheap to buy and refurb and go straight on with no problems and run vented discs with them. Im sure drums are fine on the back as they have been used for years, but its down to the maintenance that i think most people change them over as once you have discs on you hardly need to do anything with them. Had them on mine for years without any problems and doing the conversion was probably quicker than changing a set of those pesky shoes :-) just my opinion!

Hey opel2000

The volvo 4 pot's was in reference to taylorblue5's later question ( I was planning on running a set of wilwood 4 pots up front but cant really justify the dosh for the power im running atm, Anybody know of the best brake set up x cost??) and a cheap option would be the volvo ones on the front. cheap to buy and refurb and go straight on with no problems and run vented discs with them. Im sure drums are fine on the back as they have been used for years, but its down to the maintenance that i think most people change them over as once you have discs on you hardly need to do anything with them. Had them on mine for years without any problems and doing the conversion was probably quicker than changing a set of those pesky shoes :-) just my opinion!

Aha I see, thought it was a bit of overkill putting volvo 4 pots on the rear :unsure: and yes will agree that the shoes can be pesky, or indeed Very Pesky, but there is a method to chnage them reasonably easily and quickly but it still doesn't remove the maintenance issue and non adjusting self adjusters :thumbup

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I used volvo 4 pots on my opel gt

the discs were honda ones and i got a new pair off ebay that were vented drilled and groved

They even drilled out the centre hole 4 me at no cost

cant remember who they were but they are the ones offering drilled groved or both as your option

they were about70 for the pair

if you google it there is a guide out there

Hi

In my manta the front have the conversion to audi discs 256mm and calipers from the cavalier(vectra A)

DSCN1037.jpg

To the rear i read in a german site a manta owner that use big wheel cylinders from a Frontera, i will buy ones to try don't know if is a good solution but i will check