How Much Weight Can I Take Of A Crankshaft?

costasa

I was searching in ebay for a 2.2 crankshaft and it apears one

This crankshfat was reworked and weights less 1kg from the original weight.

picture off the 2.2 crank (ebay)

$(KGrHqF,!iUE9juP+tjUBPZNTDpLeg~~60_12.JPG

I wonder what will be the ideal weight loss when reworking and balacing a crankshaft?

Thank you

Don't know the answer to this one but i will pas on what i have been told by my engine guy and some info from another guy we both know, Tony Scott. He does bike engines for the top lads who do the TT. Basically both advise not removing anything other than what is necessary to balance the crank, they reckon work on the flywheel (i removed 7kg from mine) and the front pulley (removed 3+kg i think by replacing with an alloy one). Bill said that if you do start removing material the cranks can be a bitch to balance afterwards plus your cutting into the forging, whether this can weaken them i'm unsure but there is that possibility.

I know that alot of guys do this and prob have no problems i just didnt want to risk it for a kg.

HTH

Chris

• Like 1

Don't know the answer to this one but i will pas on what i have been told by my engine guy and some info from another guy we both know, Tony Scott. He does bike engines for the top lads who do the TT. Basically both advise not removing anything other than what is necessary to balance the crank, they reckon work on the flywheel (i removed 7kg from mine) and the front pulley (removed 3+kg i think by replacing with an alloy one). Bill said that if you do start removing material the cranks can be a bitch to balance afterwards plus your cutting into the forging, whether this can weaken them i'm unsure but there is that possibility.

I know that alot of guys do this and prob have no problems i just didnt want to risk it for a kg.

HTH

Chris

Thank you for your advice Chris, i will try to find some one expertise in cranks and engines in my zone.

In the topic i leave this link to a article talking about cranks

http://editions.amospublishing.com/AEW/default.aspx?d=20120323&pagenum=50