The Iva For Modified Cars.

simon p

There has been a lot of discussion on the forum over the last few months regarding the IVA rules which may or not apply to modified Mantas.

The IVA or individual vehicle approval is test for modified cars must pass if they have fallen foul of the DVLA points scoring to allow your car to retain it's original identity. If your car doesn't score the required amount of points, it is treated a new car and hence the need to be put through an IVA, similar to that a kit car needs. If it passes, it will be issued with a Q reg.

The points scoring requirements are list here:-

The “8 points” Registration System

To put this system into context, people must understand that you never own the registration document for a vehicle. It is purely on loan and they can remove the right to registration if a problem arises.

The “8 points” system is how they determine whether a car should retain its original registration. First they assign each major part of the car a set point score like this.

• chassis or body shell (body and chassis as one unit - monocoque ie direct replacement from the manufacturer) (original or new) = 5 points

• suspension = 2 points

• axles = 2 points

• transmission = 2 points

• steering assembly = 2 points

• engine = 1 point

To retain it’s original registration, the vehicle must score 8 or more points from this list. However this must always include the 5 points for the original UNMODIFIED monocoque shell/chassis. This doesn’t sound too bad, but say for a B Series with a redtop XE conversion, aftermarket suspension and a disk brake axle on the rear you’d have 7 points. The problem with this system is that if/when you take your car to be DVLA inspected it is down to the tester’s discretion on whether he allocates the points or not. The DVLA actually define each part as "the original part that the vehicle left the factory with". Obviously this is impossible to implement, as all the parts listed have at least a fair chance of being replaced throughout the life of a vehicle, not for modification but for warranty claims and servicing. For instance it's fair to say that if you go to a test with performance suspension parts fitted rather than OEM standard replacements you will lose those points.

What constitutes an Unmodified Monocoque?

Firstly it’s probably best to explain what a monocoque shell constitutes. From the DVLA definition:

“What constitutes a monocoque is that of how an OEM manufacturer would view it. The chassis or `cage` assembly and all components that form it, less any cosmetic panels or infills that make no structural consideration to the monocoque or its component parts.”

I have been talking to Keven Rooney from http://www.the-ace.org.uk/ to help me with various things i have going through my 'shop and i think he can provide the club with some great info too. He and his team are all nationally known custom car builders and have been talking to the powers that be for a long time now. Their aim is make everyone who is interested, aware of the legislation and what can and can't be done to retain the car ID. Of course you can build anything you like but it may have to have to go through IVA test

Some things i've already disussed mainly revolves about building a modified car from a monocoque. For example, if you want convert a Manta to a 400 replica, it will need an IVA. This is because you have modified the stock body from it's original design. On the flip side, if you can get a V8 engine into an UNmodified body, that potentially fine. It's all down to how many points you score when you mods are complete. All this info has helped me alot and helped me determine what i can do in the future.

He has kindly agreed to come on our forum to answer any questions or queries anyone has. He has NOT offered to come on here to be abused, etc. The guys at ace are only interested in trying to help. We all have our own views as to whether this is right or wrong but this thread is just to discuss the facts. Personal opinions are not relevant.

Enough of my ramblings. If you have anything you who like to ask, Kev or his guys will do ther best to help. Remember they only want to help you make an informed decision on what you build and the best way to build it.

Interesting, I thought to lose the points for suspension you'd need to change the type or mounting points. i.e. aftermarket springs and dampers that replace OEM like for like would be exempt.

Also with regards the monocoque, I think I am right in saying that welding things to the shell is fine, it is only cutting that voids the points.

So an interesting point to know would be how easy it is to pass an IVA... for example if you've literally only lopped a bit of extraneous stuff from the shell (i.e. the oem radiator mount in the case of 6pot conversion) and fitted like for like swaps to an uprated set of springs and dampers and a quaife quick rack. Are there lots of original bits of the manta which would no longer meet modern regs? (I know there are all sorts of regs regarding glass type and radiuses on corners for kit cars and the like)

I am well aware I could look the last bit up, but I thought I'd just throw it out there and see if anyone knows first.

Cheers

At billing, I spoke to a few people in different clubs who said they wouldn't open their bonnet at car shows in case vosa were there. Rumours that they were starting to hit car shows to catch out folk who didnt do IVAs.

I take it you need both original axles to get the 2 points? You dont get one per axle? (ie, same front and an atlas rear axle or something)

Hypothetically, if I kept a manta A shell intact, used the steering assembly, and slapped in the engine and running gear from an audi a3 quattro, with the manta shocks and springs I wouldnt need an IVA. (tho it'd be a challenge getting manta supension on audi subframes.....)

what about cars that where modified years ago? will these need iva test?

There is a cut off point, I can't remember when that is now but I fitted a 24v engine into my Commodore 5 years ago and that was clear :)

Cheers,

Alf.

PS.

I should say it's when you can prove the engine was fitted, there are many cars that had engines changed years ago but the owners never got round to registering the change, they may have a problem?