Brake Servo Faulty?

rcmedic

hi there

i think i must be going mad, i have recently changed the front calipers on my '87 GTE as they were sticking on all the time and i could not find a rebuild kit.

after buying new calipers i still had no front brakes so suspected the master cylinder, yet again no rebuild kit available so got a new one.

great i thought will be out with the manta now get some use out of her, but no still no brakes

they bledd up fine front and rear and i have brakes, but as soon as i start the engine and the servo comes into play my foot goes to the floor and no brakes.

is this the servo?? or am i missing something very simple.

also i noticed when testing the brakes when the pedal is depressed now with the engine on there is air coming out from behind the pedal and i know this did not do this before, i know there is a filter pedal side of the servo could this be the problem?

any help tips or advise greatly appreciated, at wits end now

Barry

Sounds like a knackered servo. Similar thing happened to me a couple of years ago when the bulkhead side of my servo rotted through.

If you're really careful you might get away with changing the servo without disturbing the master cylinder and needing to bleed the brakes again, but I can't guarantee your car will be the same as mine was!

Before you start swapping servos check that your new callipers are on the right way round with the bleed nipple pointing upwards. It's an embarrassing mistake I've made myself :rolleyes:

It is possible to make that mistake, I agree, but that would not cause air leakage around the rear end of the servo, is the fluid level dropping in the resevoir, but no leaking of fluid on the deck which can be caused by the fluid leaking/getting pumped into the servo? I also suspect it to be a servo fault, as the afore Brains of Scotland & Wales deduced. Good luck with it.

Edited by Julian

If the callipers were originally stuck then the pedal would have been hard. If the pedal now sinks to the floor the sound it produces will be different and could be misinterpreted as leaking air. Always worth checking the easy stuff first.

hi there

thanks for all the advise will be checking it all out again at the weekend, if can get another servo will change it as its off the car now after stripping it all out again.

good news is getting quicker at bleeding the whole system now, the amount of times i have tried this, so might make pit crew yet !!!

once again thanks for all the advise

Barry