Manta 1.8 Berlinetta To New Zealand

Titson

Here we go then.....

First of all how do I get pictures into this.!!

Sitting back in the UK is my Black Berlinetta 1.8s, dry stored for longer than I can remember and needing a fair bit of work to restore I am now considering bringing her here, she has the burnt orange interior and although she looks rough would actually clean up internally quite well althought the bodywork will need doing and the engine either rebuilding or replacing, now do we keep her standard which would be my preference or do we fit Injection to the 1.8 engine... any thoughts welcome on this one and what parts do I need to scavenge, have everything to rebuild at least 3 GTE's but nothing engine wise for a 1.8!!! Although I do have a spare engine somewhere, failing that I may just swap all the 1.8 gear out and stuff in a CIH engine etc.

Edited by Titson

I've fitted a injection system, ecu, cylinder head, etc from a mk1 astra GTE to my 1.8. You also need a Manta GTE fuel tank and pump, and to modify the throttle cable as it needs to be very short. If you want the ecu inside the car you can modify a Manta GTE loom, I have all the information if you want to go down this route.

Edited by Ems

I've fitted a injection system, ecu, cylinder head, etc from a mk1 astra GTE to my 1.8. You also need a Manta GTE fuel tank and pump, and to modify the throttle cable as it needs to be very short. If you want the ecu inside the car you can modify a Manta GTE loom, I have all the information if you want to go down this route.

Hi Ems,

That would be brilliant if you had the info, have all the fuel tank etc just nothing for the 1.8 as I said so any info would be very much appreciated,Then I guess the the problem would be in locating the astra or injection set up!

as far as i recall you need a GM injection cylinder head because the ports are a different size to the carb ports. Also the Manta 1.8 litre is a lower compression engine

if you are going to go this route then it would probably be easier to get a whole engine, which could be a 2 litre SEH ( H for high compression) these are the engines that graced the Cavalier MK 2 SRi 130 and were fitted to earlier MK 3 Cavaliers which can be bought for very little as MOT failers to serve as a doner car. this would make a better Manta than a CIH 2 litre, more power, less wieght.

as for the rest of the car, keep it standard, the world needs a Manta with the Burnt Orange (or did they call it teracotta?) interior preserving, i have a Berlinetta with that lovely lime green interior waiting its turn for restoration, People need to see what taste was in the eighties!!!

as far as i recall you need a GM injection cylinder head because the ports are a different size to the carb ports. Also the Manta 1.8 litre is a lower compression engine

if you are going to go this route then it would probably be easier to get a whole engine, which could be a 2 litre SEH ( H for high compression) these are the engines that graced the Cavalier MK 2 SRi 130 and were fitted to earlier MK 3 Cavaliers which can be bought for very little as MOT failers to serve as a doner car. this would make a better Manta than a CIH 2 litre, more power, less wieght.

as for the rest of the car, keep it standard, the world needs a Manta with the Burnt Orange (or did they call it teracotta?) interior preserving, i have a Berlinetta with that lovely lime green interior waiting its turn for restoration, People need to see what taste was in the eighties!!!

Quite agree, I want to keep her standard as that is what I prefer, but at same time just have a slighter better engine version!! So figure this is the easiest route as have a few injection tanks back at home.

The 2.0 SEH is another option as is a 16 valve, on my car I've got the 1.8s Manta block with the 1.8E Astra GTE injection system and cylinder head.

You could place a wanted ad on the mk1oc website as many Astras have been converted to 16v, the engine was also fitted on the pre 86 mk2 Astra GTE.

You'll need the 1.8E head, injection system, inlet manifold, airflow meter, ecu, etc. The Astra thermostat holder at the front of the cylinder head is important as it has a temperature sender for the ecu. You can use either the Astra or Manta loom, depends if you want the ecu inside the car or under the bonnet.

The connector that goes on the ecu is the same, two of the connectors under the bonnet from the Manta loom are not used so can be cut off.

You'll need to adapt some of the water pipes and the throttle cable, but it's easy enough.

One advantage is improved access to the starter motor and steering column.

The 2.0 SEH is another option as is a 16 valve, on my car I've got the 1.8s Manta block with the 1.8E Astra GTE injection system and cylinder head.

You could place a wanted ad on the mk1oc website as many Astras have been converted to 16v, the engine was also fitted on the pre 86 mk2 Astra GTE.

You'll need the 1.8E head, injection system, inlet manifold, airflow meter, ecu, etc. The Astra thermostat holder at the front of the cylinder head is important as it has a temperature sender for the ecu. You can use either the Astra or Manta loom, depends if you want the ecu inside the car or under the bonnet.

The connector that goes on the ecu is the same, two of the connectors under the bonnet from the Manta loom are not used so can be cut off.

You'll need to adapt some of the water pipes and the throttle cable, but it's easy enough.

One advantage is improved access to the starter motor and steering column.

Thanks, I don't particularly want to put a 16v in, would much rather keep it at least as close to standard as possible, so sounds like the SEH is a better bet and good idea re the OC, will try them as well.

Anyone on here got one for sale?

• 2 weeks later...

well as you asked so nicely titson, i have a 2.0 seh engine just came out of my gte coupe everything you will need to fit into your manta ie sump, exhaust manifold, down pipe, all wiring ecu all you need to have it in and running within an hour not really sure if i want to sell it but will only sell for £200.00,i am gonna keep the gearbox but will leave the clutch on the engine.interested or anyone else tex me,07778991431 and i live in alresford hampshire.

well as you asked so nicely titson, i have a 2.0 seh engine just came out of my gte coupe everything you will need to fit into your manta ie sump, exhaust manifold, down pipe, all wiring ecu all you need to have it in and running within an hour not really sure if i want to sell it but will only sell for £200.00,i am gonna keep the gearbox but will leave the clutch on the engine.interested or anyone else tex me,07778991431 and i live in alresford hampshire.

Hi Gary,

Very interested in your SEH, I need to talk with a mate in Yorkshire about how we would pick it up and also a mate in Northampton who sometimes comes down your way. I take it the engine has everything from what you are saying, so would be good.

Will be in touch,

Kind regards

Steve

• 5 weeks later...