C20Xe Manta - Hesitation Under Load

GMC

One by one I'm solving all my niggly faults following my engine transplant.

Ok, here's the latest one;

When engine is cold it runs a treat. Once warmed up the engine hesitates under load, eg......

on light throttle it's fine, then apply medium to heavy throttle and it's basically dies, splutters & stammers for 2-3 secs before gradually picking up.

I think it's one of two things thats causing the problem (or both)

1. I fitted a new fuel pump. One of these from ebay.....http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3f160e04f8

A fuel pressure problem? What fuel pressure should I be expecting? I can borrow a gauge to check it.

2. I fitted one of these 'cheap cone filters' from ebay.....http://www.ebay.co.u...=item19cf9aacfb

I believe redtops don't like performance filters. Could this be causing the problem? If returning to a standard air filter box, should I use a C20XE box or a Manta box (I know the manta box has an air flow meter but this is easily removed)

Your comments and any other thoughts would be appreciated

Edited by GMC

Good point mate....early C20XE with distributor (not coil pack)

Standard injection (new injectors)

Rebuilt engine

Standard distributor

New leads, cap, rotor arm & plugs

New temp sensor

Everything in good condition.

Hope this helps

Edited by GMC

Thanks again cdi, It isn't wired up yet, but planning to do it very soon. I got the info from here on how to read the code using a flashing light, so will set that up. The fact its happening under load and when warmed up I'm sure it's fuel or induction related.

Any other info or similar experiences from anyone else meantime would be grarefully received.

Edited by GMC

Thanks again cdi, It isn't wired up yet, but planning to do it very soon. I got the info from here on how to read the code using a flashing light, so will set that up. The fact its happening under load and when warmed up I'm sure it's fuel or induction related.

Any other info or similar experiences from anyone else meantime would be grarefully received.

Hi GMC,

I was suffering with a similar problem a couple of weeks back, 1st thing to check is the electrical system!

I had a poor contact on the terminal for the XE loom so the ECU was not getting enough juice to power the injectors under load or high rpms. So make sure the ECU is seeing the correct 12V and all the power connections & earths are looking clean & secure.

FYI power down the ECU every time for 30sec just incase the module is adapting to incorrect, this will also give poor performance!

If you are still suffering after that check the amplifier under the coil is fuctioning as it should!

Good luck! :thumbup

Dom