'83 Gt/j Project

zublet

Hey all,

About time I posted up a couple of pics of my new baby! Its a 1983 GT/J, totally stock and standard and never molested.

So far ive concentrated on the engine:

New head gasket

Head skimmed

Valves ground, polished and reseated

New rocker cover gasket

New oil

New filter

New thermostat

New air hoses

New manifold gasket

& various other bits and pieces

On the to do list still is mainly bodywork, the sills have gone and im going to put new rear arches in as theyre getting pretty crispy!

The interior is sound apart from the usual drivers side seat bolster wearing through, but im sure i can sort something to tidy it :)

Also this week:

New clutch (complete)

New thrust bearing

New clutch cable

aaaand courtesy of Mick in Barnsley (thanks again!), a nice replacement axle! the whining from my current diff is giving me a headache :o

Anyway some pics

DSCF1793.jpg

DSCF1794.jpg

DSCF1795.jpg

DSCF1796.jpg

DSCF1798.jpg

DSCF1799.jpg

DSCF1801.jpg

DSCF1802.jpg

DSCF1803.jpg

DSCF1804.jpg

DSCF1805.jpg

DSCF1806.jpg

I know! it was made for it! Havent had a chance to look at the fan yet, as soon as the axle is on i'll have a root around for the problem.

Oh, and I also need to remember to plug that drain hole up near the battery tray. :)

Cheers Crazydave :) I must admit, im a fan of stock cars, although a nice modded one still tempts me sometimes ;D

• Like 1

looks nice, my 1.8S looked like that too when I got it, bit different now tho.

rear wash wipe must have been an option when it was ordered

shame someone has cut an aftermarket sun roof into it, but that was all the rage in the 80's

I am about to do the rear arches and outer sills on mine when the parts arrive from the UK.

be prepared for some surprises when you get going with these repairs and have a close look at the condition of the chassis legs, plenty of other cars on here than have been done so worth having a rummage around but you will see what I have been up against here

http://forums.mantaclub.org/topic/26862-hello-form-new-zealand-manta-gsi-project/page__st__180

Nice to see a stock "poverty spec" car that hasn't had higher level trim added to it. If I recall, when they came out the GT was base and GT/J was the slightly better model- I think wash wipe was standard but don't quote me. Because there was so little differenct in the spec, GM dropped the GT/J after only about a year and merged the two trim levels into one.

The trim is mega rare and so unusual to see, don't think I've ever seen one in the flesh myself. Keep it as it is and enjoy, it's probably not far off unique!

Thankd for posting it! :thumbup

Thanks guys!

This week the new back axle went on without a hitch and sounds perfect, dead chuffed with it :) Also got round to getting a new clutch put in, the old one was getting heavy and worn so it needed to be done.

As a result shes now driving like a new car, *touch woood* the gearbox is a beauty so the car is mechanicly sound now! :D

Now for the welding....