My Manta Gte Hatch Project

Gedly

Thanks, I like the colour, It's quite solid underneath as it hasn't moved in ten years. It needs some filling in places but the main problems are the rear valence / spare wheel well and around the rear lamps have rotted due to the rear window seal failing, just need to find a valance if they are available?. If they are not available I will have to plate them.

I already have some twin lamps and 17s sat waiting in the garage. I have to admit I would like to drop a red top in but I'm not sure what work is involved in doing that.

Nice hatch mate ;-)

A valver is going to cost you about a grand all in unless you buy a better xe or rebuild one. If you can do the work yourself. 2k if you can't.

Get one in if you're going to keep it long term.

The xe makes the manta into the car GM should of built and would of if vauxhaul hadn't ditched the manta because of what they called was the new coupe. The calibra.

The calibra is a hatch. They sold it as as coupe.

hi there i have a new complete rear panel if thats any use to you, i also have a mk 1 cavalier sportshatch rear panel that is the same panel but has the small holes for the badges, thats cheaper than the manta one. both parts are genuine opel / vauxhall parts. contact details 07977950044 cheers drew

Thought I spotted a 4 speed gearlever, definitely not standard for a GTE!

As for unleaded, have a look on the spark plug side of the head, if you can see P2E stamped on it (I forget where, either between plugs 1 and 2 or 2 and 3) then yes, it's fine for unleaded.

I've got the grey lock slider surround for you if you're still after it, let me know when you're about and I'll drop it over, wouldn't mind a look at the car as well!

Hi mate. Mmm got me wondering now if it's a proper gte. Just a thought I also have a corvette and can go on a site enter the chassis number and it tells me everything about it is there anything like that for mantas?

I'm in On weekend if that Anygood.

Hi mate. Mmm got me wondering now if it's a proper gte. Just a thought I also have a corvette and can go on a site enter the chassis number and it tells me everything about it is there anything like that for mantas?

I'm in On weekend if that Anygood.

Someone may correct me but the 4 speed was not fitted to the 'C' reg Mantas of either kind. Some people have retro fitted the 4 speed gear lever, to older cars that have added a 5 speed box to keep the car looking period. Have you any pictures of the gearbox?

Rob

Edited by robah

I checked today with the DVLA as I am waiting for the log book and it is definitely an 86 Manta GTE.

The only other info I have other than that is it was first registered in the isle on man, I still have the isle of man plates in the boot. but am waiting for all the docs from the guy I bought it off.

Im new to mantas so what could I be looking at?

Wipers on the headlamps?

Four speed box? I'm going to check if it has five gears in the morn.

Anything else I should look for?

The engine number is

20e#0253083

I'm intreaged now.

20E means it's definitely a GTE engine and not an earlier carbed one that's had the injection fitted. Can't figure out why someone would fit a 4 speed box as that will have involved chopping the tunnel for the gear lever to go through, unless it was all someone had to hand after the original box died perhaps? The fact it's from the IOM might explain that, I guess Manta spares aren't very plentiful there without bringing them over from the mainland. Robah's right though, the 4 speed box was dropped in '82 with the last of the two-slot B series cars.

Pretty sure headlamp wipers were standard fit on GTE models with square headlights, just not on the later Exclusives which had the quads on the front.

Looks like a proper GTE to me, just got a 4 speed box fitted for some reason. To be honest it doesn't really make much of a difference in any real terms, there's plenty of cars out there with weird specifications!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I used some chrome paint from my local DIY shop and some lacker. I used the same on my corvette over a year ago and she is still as bright., if you don't lacker it I find you get marks if you get any oil on it. Also I had to clean everything off with a wire brush and thinners to make sure I got a perfect finish.

Edited by Gedly

• 9 years later...

Just purchased this car very solid old shell requires welding to drivers swan neck and lower front valance damaged  will make a nice car may sell as rolling shell our cut but seams a shame to cut inner wings battery tray floors and boot floor mint even the fuel tank looks solid had 4speed fitted at some time but 5 speed tunnel top is still there with hole cut for 4 speed 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Manta hatch said:

Just purchased this car very solid old shell requires welding to drivers swan neck and lower front valance damaged  will make a nice car may sell as rolling shell our cut but seams a shame to cut inner wings battery tray floors and boot floor mint even the fuel tank looks solid had 4speed fitted at some time but 5 speed tunnel top is still there with hole cut for 4 speed 

Certainly not a scrap car by sounds of things. The 5 speed tunnel tops come up very frequently if wanting to change that and the swan kneck rail repair bits or complete replacement kit, can be purchased. Luckily now, swan knecks are not a death knell for a car.

• Like 1