Cibie Mounting Rings

opelmantagsi

• 4 weeks later...

anyone know if these are available anywhere?

looking through the threads on here they are no longer stocked?

http://www.demon-twe...-mounting-rings

I also need the black bezel rings and will try to source the headlights themselves in NZ

I take it this is for the quad headlights?

It is the first time I have seen this thread :rolleyes: and can contact Demon-Tweeks if you are after these specific ones.

I am after the bezels for the Quads aswell as I have had to patch up the ones I have until locating decent replacements.

I tried a few months ago - Demon Tweeks no longer stock and Cibie no longer produce them, they had no interest in restarting either. In the Tech section somewhere on here is a 'fix' to mount the lamps using threaded bars etc but with no surrounds as such. I tried the universal 5 3/4 inch mounting rings available from kit car parts suppliers etc but they dont fit inside the lamp surrounds. Good luck trying to track some down, your project looks amazing!

I tried a few months ago - Demon Tweeks no longer stock and Cibie no longer produce them, they had no interest in restarting either. In the Tech section somewhere on here is a 'fix' to mount the lamps using threaded bars etc but with no surrounds as such. I tried the universal 5 3/4 inch mounting rings available from kit car parts suppliers etc but they dont fit inside the lamp surrounds. Good luck trying to track some down, your project looks amazing!

that's great feedback on the kit car mounting rings, I thought that could have been an option but it sounds like a no go - thanks for the info, saved me some time, money and hassle.

I struggle a bit with the search engine on this site, I did find that repair on here but not having the actual rings to work with is my problem, right now I have 2 x bare irmscher plastic quad shells with no lights or mounts and 3 x Hella Optilux shells (one sent over by Kevin Abbott) with lights and mounts, but the mounts on two of those are badly corroded and the lamps have a bespoke mount on the back of them and the entire unit semi sealed unit is very hard to find, if worse come to worse I will need to talk to Kevin Abbott in more detail about converting the shells to BMW E30 smiley lights,

another thought was to use big cibie super oscars for high beam, BMW smiley for head light and side light, remove the 5 3/4 high beams and put a 5 3/4 air bellmouth in and use the hole as an air induction point, or just blank off the hole completely.

would be good to have a pinned thread on here that covers off the quad head light problem and alternative fix / conversion methods

off course the ultimate solution would be to be able to source replacement parts

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

anyone know if these are available anywhere?

looking through the threads on here they are no longer stocked?

http://www.demon-twe...-mounting-rings

I also need the black bezel rings and will try to source the headlights themselves in NZ

some on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Opel-Manta-Twin-Light-Brackets-/110945692972?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19d4e0ed2c#ht_500wt_1199

If you can get those nests, get them sent to me and I'll send them with the rear panel?

Back in the day Trevor Lewis used to make the nests from fibreglass using a split mould technique.

Maybe you can make a mould and pour some up?

The e30 lights fit but the mounts need threaded rod bonding to the back of the lights and they are such a tight fit you lose some adjustability.

Nelson Stuart did the smiley light conversion too and took some good pictures. Manta400.com if it's still up or a google search for his build thread.

I believe getting the original nests off ( black plastic and corroded bolts) can be a right PITA too so reusing them may be out of the question.

The lucas ones didn't have nests, but they had plastic rods to hold the tabs on the back of the light. They break too or the metal tab snaps off.

I'll have a look to see if I've any cibies in the loft

I'll speak to Trevor later to see if he knows where the mould went

Edited by Kevin Abbott

I will have a crack at those, once I have one as a template I can get more made up

If that is your bid mate thats on the site already I will not bid on them. I will be willing to go half's with you if necessary to allow Kev to try and get some manufactured by Trevor Lewis :)

If you can get those nests, get them sent to me and I'll send them with the rear panel?

Back in the day Trevor Lewis used to make the nests from fibreglass using a split mould technique.

Maybe you can make a mould and pour some up?

The e30 lights fit but the mounts need threaded rod bonding to the back of the lights and they are such a tight fit you lose some adjustability.

Nelson Stuart did the smiley light conversion too and took some good pictures. Manta400.com if it's still up or a google search for his build thread.

I believe getting the original nests off ( black plastic and corroded bolts) can be a right PITA too so reusing them may be out of the question.

The lucas ones didn't have nests, but they had plastic rods to hold the tabs on the back of the light. They break too or the metal tab snaps off.

I'll have a look to see if I've any cibies in the loft

I'll speak to Trevor later to see if he knows where the mould went

Kev that would be great if you can do this as I think there could be a market for them :)

I've spoken to Trev, he has the mould but the rings will come to me bare, i will have to source the bolts/wingnuts and springs.

I don't think he can be bothered dealing in singles or sets, I'm gonna buy bulk.

I have not negotiated a price or even know what sort of money a finished unit will be.

I won't be getting rich on them that's for sure!

I'm gonna dig in my loft later today to track some fixings down, i'm sure iv'e some new ones i can copy

Watch this space ;)

Edited by Kevin Abbott

I can get these machined out of Delrin, they will probably be better than the originals, I just need a template

fixings / adjuster wise I can probably get these made out of stainless steel, but again I would need the originals to see how it all works

would need to see the bezels before I can say if these can be reproduced.

making new ones will have an upfront cost for CNC programming but once the program is written it wont be a big cost to have a number of these made in batches.

I have sent Nelson Stuart and e-mail hopefully he will point me in the right direction re smiley conversion as an option

the guy with the 3 x rings on ebay says he can post to my family in Aberdeen so should be an option to send to you Kev

pretty keen to see if we can reproduce these and offer to club members

yes its expensive here too but not as expensive as the UK

its good stuff, they use it for making gears and stuff, very hard wearing.

I have a set of delrin engine mounts here if anyone is game to try them, I just used them for mocking up but some guys here like delrin mounts because its not as harsh as billet.

OK quick update

I managed to secure those items off ebay so as soon as I get them here I will be looking to get the 4th one made here in NZ by my guy that does custom CNC engineering work for me

If this is a success then I will maybe look at getting a batch made for on selling

Will look at stainless steel fixings for obvious reasons

Derek

I looked into the fixings and Cop measured the original ones for me

M5 bolts, 35mm long, springs 23 mm long prob m6 size

All available from ebay in stainless apart from the springs. Talking to a bloke who is making some springs for some dental equipment for me he said there is no longer any off the shelf spring suppliers in the UK as the major one went bust..So i made some springs at work the other day using orthodontic wire and forgot it was sprung so got to the end of the wire and promptly ripped knuckles apart with 0.7 SS wire

Hmmmm fun... ER no

pretty sure I will be able to get SS springs here, the kiwis are good at these sorts of things, being so far away from the rest of the world they are used to making up parts to get them rolling again

the dairy industry here means SS is one of their more common preferred & preferred materials.

Edited by opelmantagsi

pretty sure I will be able to get SS springs here, the kiwis are good at these sorts of things, being so far away from the rest of the world they are used to making up parts to get them rolling again

the dairy industry here means SS is one of their more common preferred & preferred materials.

Defo Interested in replacement parts for mine in whatever material they come in. Nice work guys :)

• 3 months later...

quick update on this.

looked into getting these made here from the new ones I picked up off ebay a while ago, its do-able but may not be cost effective

I had a very close look at these and there was some information on the bodies that allowed me to track down the original manufacturer / supplier I have heard back from them now and I am just waiting on the prices and quantities available for sale. Never realized that being a detective comes as part of being a Manta lover.

When I hear more I will update this thread, but its looking very positive.

quick update

these are available from the original supplier to Demon Tweeks - Morette

contact Harold e-mail export@morette.com

price is 24.92 euros per ring

Also Morette are looking to make a complete new aftermarket quad light conversion kit very soon, contact them in about 1 month for details. The new conversion kit is based on the irmscher version