Hc Viva Estate

spiney_norman

Hmm, what could be lurking in here I wonder?

20120812_105824.jpg

So with a bit of chopping...

20120812_110339.jpg

20120812_112258.jpg

Blimey! It's one of them!

20120812_113632.jpg

It looks a bit tatty, but apart from having most of the glass broken and the steering column snapped it's really good. 13k miles from new, totally original, interior is immaculate. Even got both the Vauxhall badged plastic covers for the Carello spotlights on the front.

20120812_120901.jpg

My Dad and his partner stopped to look at a house that was for sale as the elderly owner had passed away a few years ago, and as they were about to leave spotted the garage amongst the undergrowth. A quick look revealed the car, so after a few calls to estate agents, solicitors etc I'm now the owner!

20120812_122134.jpg

I don't really have a lot of interest in Vivas if I'm honest, but the thought of it being dragged out with a chain through the roof and straight off for scrap would've killed me, so with the help of my Dad and another local enthusiast friend of ours we dragged it out into the first daylight it had seen in at least 17 years.

Hopefully I'll have it running soon!

Out between Pontarddulais and Grovesend mate! Don't think the garden had been touched in at least 15 years. The damage appears to have been from someone trying to steal it, so I'm guessing that was years ago when they could've actually opened the garage door easily.

Novashed, I actually quite like the estate look for some reason, but then I've always had a thing for Cav Sportshatches as well. Maybe I'm just weird like that :)

It's ridiculously rare being a very late 1300 GLS estate, according to howmanyleft there are 13 left taxed and I'm betting most of those are the 4 door saloon versions. Another one saved from the crusher!

Ged, it's down at my Dad's place in Carmarthenshire, unfortunately I've got nowhere in Cardiff to keep cars off the road. Might be interested in the wheels to get it through an MOT if they're the same stud pattern, need to check that first!

Falk - I did consider getting hold of a 2.3 slant engine out of a Magnum or an FE as a straight swap, but I don't think I could bring myself to do that to such an original car. It'll be lovely again one day!

good find, i picked up a droopsnoot sportshatch that had been in the bushes for 9 years and the body was completly rotten everywhere, sold the car on fleebay last week or you could of had the glass out of it. goodluck with it, i do like the old estate cars thats why i bought welders ascona estate. viva stud pattern is slightly different from the opel 4x100 pattern.

not 100 percent sure of stud spacing its not that different but if you put for example manta wheels on it bends the studs to locate the nuts properly. i have a couple of viva rostyles that need a refurb, you can have the wheels if you cover postage. but i am away in holland this weekend so wont be able to sort out til next week let me know. cheers drew

Yeah, it's 4", so if y'fancy them chevette HS or droopsnoot firenza rims, check as the snoots 4" an d'chevys are 100mm.

Norm, totally agree with keeping her original. :) . My experience with them slant 4's is they're too slow, old an heavy and even though me an me ol' man had a mk1 cav 1300 that had 4 1256's in though it's life, i'd try her out and see how you liked it anyway.

Might put electronic ignition on though. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Had a good day on this yesterday, and it now has a windscreen and steering column fitted. Most of the interior is stripped out of the back so I can clean all the tiny bits of glass off it properly, today's plan is to get the rear tyres sorted so it's easier to roll about and carry on stripping the front seats and carpets out. Might even have a go with a gallon can and see if I can get her running later.

Had a proper look underneath yesterday while fitting the bottom end of the steering column, and there's not a spot of structural rot on this car anywhere I can see. There's one little hole in the bottom the the NSF wing just behind the wheel and that's about it.

Still looking for a set of locks/keys and an indicator column switch, anyone know if the switch on a Chevette is the same? Certainly looks it, and I know where there's a rotten Chevette I can have for nothing.

No pictures as apparently my Photobucket account is undergoing maintenance, but things are definitely moving on so I'll get some up tomorrow. Lots of little jobs done today, refitted the mangled spotlight off the front after straightening it out, and while I was down there sprayed the little mesh grille in the front valance satin black, just looked wrong in orange. Got busy with the chrome polish and now have shiny (if slightly spotty) bumpers, chrome rings on the wheels and door handles. Oh, and it's got 4 nearly new tyres on now so I can roll it about properly!

I'll be taking the tailgate lock to my friendly local locksmith tomorrow just on a long shot, they're a bit old school so might be able to make me a key to fit that and the doors. While I'm in the area also going to pull an indicator/wiper column switch off my Dad's mate's completely rotten Shuvit.

Sadly, I found some rot today. Looks like the back end of the sill's been jacked up by some sort of barely-trained monkey in the past, and it's been pushed in quite badly. That's rusted out and the hole spreads behind a bit of chrome trim that runs up the front edge of the wheelarch. I haven't taken it off yet to see the full extent but I will do tomorrow, wish me luck!