Backlask / Clunk In Tranmission - 16V 20Xe

opelman

Hi,

The symptoms are as follows - when lifting off the trottle down a hill there is what sounds and feels like a fair amount of backlash somewhere in the drive train. It is most noticeable when the rear wheels are driving the engine, so much so that I often dip the clutch to prevent the slack from going 'back and forth'. I have checked the propshaft joints but cannot find any slack. Does anone have any ideas please ?

No they are the same..................

...............but on the manual they have a big U bolt and lump of iron bolted to them so if the torque tube moved back and forward the block of iron will hit the crossmenber before it goes 1/2" On an auto there is no such thing as, I believe, they didn;t fit it because they are smoother in changes. The rubber bearing in the front might give you a bearing sound but shouldn't introduce backlash.

I'd check the passenger side engine mount too. I used to tear loads of rubbers to pieces, that and the gearbox mount if the lever moved back and tooa lot between power and overrun but again that shouldn't give back lash just sloppy feel

Is this car running really low suspension? Both my old GT/E and current Ascona had this noise. I think it's to do with the angle of the prop U.J's on lowered cars. I've modified the Ascona's torque tube crossmember to raise the front of the torque tube and straighten the prop up and this has reduced the noise considerably. I chopped up a couple of these crossmembers , saving the cage off the top of one and then chop the cage off the other one. Weld a section of 1" box section between the two and then box it all back in, seam welding as you go . You can get new bearings for inside the rubber mount from ALYMAC on here so you might as well fit one of these while it's in bits. A cheap modification that makes sense when you look at the angle of the prop and torque tube before and after. I also had to "relieve" the transmission tunnel above the torque tube slightly with a hammer to give a little more clearance after this modification, though you could probably just take a little material off the top rib of the torque tube's alloy casing to give the same effect. Luke.