When To Buy An Opel Manta?

Jack

I am in some confusion because I will own a Manta for sure but I am not sure when. I don't really want to use a Manta as an everyday car because I would rather buy one for driving with the club and concorse.

Also if it isn't an everyday car, how do I go about using one car as an everyday car and keeping the Manta at the same time?

Any advice would help me to get my head in the right place again.

Thanks alot in advance,

-Jack.

Hi Mike, thanks for the reply.

I thought about a council garage and I didnt realise they were that cheap, and I also wondered about the actual security level of the council garage are they fairly sturdy garages?

The insurance seems hugely cheap and i'm 20 years old so I don't know what the insurance would be for me, any ideas?

It will be an absolute pleasure when I get one and can't wait to be behind the wheel of one.

-Jack.

Ok, thank you both for the good advice I feel as if it is actually doable to maintain two cars at the same time especially with policies that cheap. I have had a look around some classic car dealers and I have a dealer on my doorstep who have genuine mint classics there but I havent seen any opels there at all. Although I could request one.

On the whole of it they are very well priced for such a good car and I've read some advice on buying them in terms of rusting E.T.C.

Do you know if there are any official websites for strictly original mantas? I have seen clasifieds but obviously a full website of them all original would be a great thing.

Cheer's,

-Jack.

I would suggest waiting til your 21 or over and ringing around for insurance then. Or, if you do buy one, PM me for an insurance quote. I got a mate of mine insured at 21 on a 1950's Austin Atlantic 2.6 litre for about £205 a year! I work for a company that has a classic insurance underwriting arm, so can sort some good quotes with full details.

As for looking for one, on here in the For Sale section, carandclassic website, or the dreaded fleabay would be your best option. I don't think there's a site dedicated to original manta's but be patient and the right car will turn up. I found mine by chance on a remote website for free! Have spent a bit on it, but the car is totally original and I'm only the 3rd owner.

Good choice for a manta though fella, can't go wrong. I bought my first one a month after I passed my test when I was 17. (That was way back in 1987 mind!!)

Dave

Edited by smiffy220

Hi Dave,

Well I have some good news, I am 21 on February the 20th so no too long to wait now. I havent yet passed my driving test funnily enough but it will be out the way by christmas time so I don't know whether it will make a difference since I havent had the 3 years experience I would of had if i did it when i was 17.

My plan is to buy a 1.0 litre car for commuting to work and back then insure the manta as a second car with classic insurance, how that will work out i dont know i havent tried to insure one yet. at least i know i have somewhere to put a manta because there are several garages i can rent out for a small charge each month but depending where my actual career goes in the future, it will have to do unless i find the money for a house!

Regards,

-Jack.

Note: what are rare mantas like i200's like to run price wise in comparison to an exclusive? just curious.

Hello Jack.

Well mine,

IMAG0014.jpg

cheap as chips.

Taxed for 6 month, Ins P/A £85 Classic policy "HELPS BEING AN AULD FECKER THOUGH LIKE ME :D garaged at hoose, any service work repairs to keep cost doon dae yur sel, or if needin advise plenty gid folks on here willing tae help yae oot.

Yul be aroond £65 tae fill yur tank and if yur heavy on thi right foot as one should be in awe Manta better see aboot a tanker tae follow yae ;) have fun wi yur manta when yae find it and jist mind yae need tae drive it every inch owe thi road unless yae git Kevs power steering adaption. Gid luck wi yur test yur first hurdle tae gang ower.

cheers rab.

Edited by Rab
  • Like 2

Hello Rab,

That is a beautiful car, what I promised myself with an i200 is that if i ever buy one i wont buy it if the current owner will take care of it more than i will since its unfair on the car. i want to make sure when i buy a rare manta like the gorgous i200 that i keep it in mint condition at all times.

how much is "cheap as chips"?

Cheer's,

-Jack.

Rab's old shed is worth about £500, I offered him £623.45 and a fish supper but for some reason he told me to sod off. :blink:

Check out the insurance before you buy anything, my company will not let my 23 year old on my policy at all, their minimum is 25.

The vauxhall version can be picked up cheaper than the Opel although they are the same vehicle from the same plants, good thing about the Vauxhall version is that they aren't common like that Opel muck, there's 1000's of them about. :P

• Like 2

Hi bud,

Nah opel version all the way for me :) is there any insurance companies that you would recommend? A few hundred quid is nothing for classic insurance and if its old enough it will be tax exempt even though tax isnt an issue anyway, its cheap. i live near sheffield so finding an actual manta will be the difficult part really because i see alot of good examples elsewhere like in scotland and belfast.

Have you got a vauxhall version?

jack

It won't be tax exempt mate, unless you go for a pre-73 A series! I still pay £218 a year to drive 400-500 miles if I'm lucky.

Personally I prefer the Opel version, but that's just personal choice. I like to see the Cav Coupes too.

A pic of an earlier B series to keep those dreams alive mate:-

P1010275.jpg

BTW - Rab's car is gorgeous - I like the i200's too.

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

I love the i200's they are very rare and awesome cars it would be a total dream to own one for myself. hope that day comes!

Tax isnt even on my worry list because its a cheap thing to pay its mainly insurance and a place to keep it, but if i do what i need to do that wont be a problem.

when you said that rabs care is gorgous, you talking about his i200? and is that a google picture of a b series or do u know where to find them?

thanks for the reply,

jack.

Hi Jack,

Piccis all the genuine article und thur owners posting. Plumsters offer declined as he hid forgotten thi BROON sauce!! ;) Tak a look intae thi "projects" forum/threads yul see some awesome cars and work in progress gangin on,will give yae some idea whits in the guts owe oor Mantas and where rot issues might arise and what is required for repairs, or mods one can do wi yur manta if cash flow allows.

cheers thi noo rab.

thanks rab,

i was actually thinking of looking of those forums myself, shouldnt me too difficult tp pick one up at a descent price and if i do find one, i'll check in with you first. :)

i wont be doing any mods since i want it as original as possible, thats my intentions. i am capable of the easy work like servicing but havent worked on a manta in a long time but it will be good to take a challenge on though.

cheers,

jack

I'd say keep your ears to the ground and see if you can pick up a gte hatch, they go way cheaper than coupes and can give you an easy way into Mantas

You WILL ​ need to learn how to weld, turn spanners, paint, fix electrics, find obscure parts, work autojumbles, fix on the move, invent and then eventually if you are still sane. Love your Manta :D

Hatch's sell for less than coupes but in no way are they inferior to the coupe ( apart from the bloody tank, but that can be overcome too)

Learn the ropes on a hatch ( cheaper to buy, same to run and fix though) and then if you want get a coupe, I personally think both are great and have had plenty of both in the past and still have a coupe and fingers in my hatch too

Good luck and welcome to the club

BTW, Danny manta has had his GTE coupe since I first met him at the age of 15, the old bugger is 25 now!

Haha! Hi Kevin,

Very good point about learning how to fix it in several important ways, infact the only few things that i havent done is find obscure parts and never fixed any manta electrics. havent invented anything either. :)

I will do some research into hatches because i have always looked at coupes, out of interest do they have any advantages over the coupe? I have heard different coupes and there is one I heard on tickover and up to 3000 rpm which sound really smooth with little noise which was strange, is that one a berlinetta?

thanks mate,

jack

Hatches can carry more stuff but the boot in a coupe can carry it's original engine while you thunder around with the new 16v engine under the hood for 6 months ( true story :huh: )

The engines run the same in both types

The early cars had carbs, b series, hard to keep in good condition and prone to carb icing in bad weather

The mk1 cavalier can be an even better way into the marque, i started in a 1256 mk1 4 door car and was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ​ jealous when my wife was given a 2 door 1600 by her Grandad with a full Webasto sunroof that was waaaaaay faster than my cav

My first cav was £200 back in 1990

My first Manta was £2500 in 1995 at the age of 24 I was a GOD in that car! A 1987 Exclusive in Monaco Blue, proper Irmscher one too

Imagine having a 8 year old Manta!!!!!

No one knew what a Manta was, God knows what people think they are now!

Edit, they even gave me a bloody 2 year warranty on it!

Edited by Kevin Abbott
  • Like 1

Hi Kevin,

Carbs are hard to keep in good condition? i'm surprised i thought they would be easier to keep in good nick than a fuel injected model, youve inspired me to do some detailed research on how to upkeep a carb manta. :)
Thing is with coupes is that they look alot nicer with the boot extension, i do want to own a hatch because its something i would like to do with my experience in manta ownership, better for my knowledge of upkeep to have different versions e.t.c.

If I ever wanted say an Ascona or especially a Monza, where is the best place to seek advice on those? Apart from the manta those are my favourite cars.

thanks for the good replies.

many regards,

jack

Edited by Jack