New Respray Needed?

NetFrog

I'm a total newbie when it comes to cars, I like to drive em but other than a wheel change I really do know very little!

I bought an opel manta B hatch earlier this year which in the main is in lovely condition, it had a full respray done in June 2011 I think it was so really not that long ago. However I am noticing bubbles coming up on the roof which I assume is rust coming up from the underneath?

There are a few other areas that it is happening too also. Not too major right now but my guess is that it will only start to get worse.

So what do I do? A full respray or is it a case of a rub down over the areas and then resprayed in patches?

It really is a lovely car and was rebuilt by a guy on here so I want to try and keep it in tip top condition and hopefulyl learn a few bits on the way about cars!

Cheers

Don't panick!!

The roof area around the sun roof is prone to rusting from the inside out due to condensation on the underside of the roof. Now you can try and to do a quick repair and reprint here but it will keep coming back until you cut out the offending item. The simplest sustainable solution is to cut out the entire sunroof and replace it with another one. I have never done this myself but believe several members have done using renault Clio sunroof??

I replaced the entire roof skin with that of a non sunroof manta but that's a big job and not for the faint hearted or unskilled! Take a look at my project thread and you will see where the dreaded rust likes to live!!

http://forums.mantaclub.org/topic/23539-manta-b-project-underway/

Maybe some pics of the effected areas would help with advice!

Edited by upk

I'll see what I can do about pics. The sunroof itself was wax sealed shut to avoid this problem and it not the only area it is happening in. I'll gram me cam and when the sun decides to pop out (hahaha) i'll post a couple of piccies.

Having looked at the cost of bodyshop works i'm not all that impressed, seems it is cheaper to get a whole car already in mint condition than go to these guys. I suppose everyone needs to make a buck though!

I replaced the entire roof skin with that of a non sunroof manta but that's a big job and not for the faint hearted or unskilled! Take a look at my project thread and you will see where the dreaded rust likes to live!!

http://forums.mantac...oject-underway/

YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well thankfully mine is not anywhere near that bad hahahahaha.... I would not know where to start. I work in IT and although I am a bright enough chap I would seriously need to study a new occupation/skill to begin this type of work. Happy to start with the basics and work my way up though. Mantas in particular I am fond of as my best buddy donated me his after he died in a RTA.

The one I have really is very nice and I have some pics of the restoration, as this was done only last year I am a little confused as to why it is bubbling already. I'll get those pics on here as obviously that would help with identifying the issue!

What type of bubbles are coming through?

Large ones full of water are caused by rust but you can also get something called microblistering.

Microblistering is small pimples caused by water in the paint and or lines when the car was sprayed

Both types will mean a respray but the latter means at least you have no rust to worry about :-)

What type of bubbles are coming through?

Large ones full of water are caused by rust but you can also get something called microblistering.

Microblistering is small pimples caused by water in the paint and or lines when the car was sprayed

Both types will mean a respray but the latter means at least you have no rust to worry about :-)

I wouldn't call them large but neither are they "pimples". I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow which may help.

On the matter of respraying - can sections of the car be resprayed to avoid the expense of a full respray which from what I see can cost in the region of 2.5k which is not a small amount of money!

Cheers