New To The Club - Mk1 Cavalier Sporthatch V8

andy88890

Hello, just recently joined the club after purchasing a 1980 MK1 Cavalier Sporthatch fitted with a Rover 3.5 V8. I saw the car on ebay and thought I'd have a bid and was really quite suprised when I won! No doubt there was a fair few of you guys watching this car. I fell in love with it as soon as I heard the engine. Bad news today from the garage today, there is a lot of corrosion and work needed on the underside of the car (more than the guy selling let on) at least £600 quids worth they reckon, so I'm rather gutted and at a loss as to what to do next!

Anyways heres a couple of pics for those who haven't seen it.. any ideas on what to do are welcome!

KGrHqRHJFcEelCRcEBQU5S9Ppw60_3.jpg

KGrHqJqIFOUof8BQU5zGGW60_3.jpg

KGrHqNikFBJBeY395BQU5Z9GOo60_3.jpg

KGrHqRk4F9LQZHkdBQU5ZGr02w60_3.jpg

T2eC16R0E9s37F0gVBQU5U9RgUw60_3.jpg

Yep, saw that car on ebay and I still reckon you got a bargain. It's been for sale for the last couple of years on and off.

How bad is it underneath, what actually needs doing? There may be some club members local to you who'd be willing to come around and have a look, and possibly even do some work on it for you. There are a few members slightly further afield who know these cars inside out and I'm sure would do an excellent job on the welding rather than MOT bodges if you decided to go down that route.

That would be great as Id really like to save it! Drove it half a mile to the garage and despite the work it needed I thought it was a brilliant car! As for work not entriley sure as it was a quick phone call this morning, but they mentione chassis work, inner arches, sill work (inner and outer) and one of the custom exhuast manifolds which I knew about.

Edited by andy88890

Hi Wellcome to the Manta fold.

As said above, sounds like a tipical manta. Just like the coupe I have in at the moment.

I am one of those " few members slightly further afield who know these cars inside out" .

I may be able to help you out if you don't mind a trip to Coventry.

Hi Mantaray, I would be happy as long as the car was Mot'd and running correctly, and I could then work on the aesthetics as and when. My only real problem is getting the car to someone like yourself.

Cheers Rab Id really like to keep the car and do it up.

Most garages now won't touch rust and many now will not even weld brackets back on.

I suppose if they can charge £80 a hour for labour changing clean plugs or pads then why would they get their hands dirty?

Looks a good car but you need to get it to someone who knows their stuff on these rare cars and isn't going to pull your pants down.

Good luck with it.

Might be a help ( unless I've missed it?) to put where you are based?

Edited by Kevin Abbott

Hi Andy, living in Stevenage makes me your Manta Club area rep (are you a club member?)

The rot issues are fairly typical for this type of car (Manta / MK 1 Cav) but can be sorted, Mantaray is a good bet,he has Manta running through him like a stick of rock, knows these cars and is willing to do rot repair work unlike commercial garages.

getting it to Coventry shouldn't be too hard, (if only my Bedford recovery truck was on the road not laid up with rot holes itself i'd move the cav for you) if you know someone with a vehicle that can tow there are places that hire out car trailers for the day or see how much it cost to get it transported, it's not that far so shouldn't be out of this world cost wise.

be good to get that back on the road, a Manta / MK 1 Cav with a Rover V8 engine was always a good combination, more power and torque with no increase in wieght.

Edited by MANTAMAN

Ive been ill the past week hence no replies! I am a fully paid club member :) glad to know there are people nearby I'll have to get to some meets once the car is back on the road. The car is in the garage as of Friday having the engine serviced and the manifold welded up. This garage also sounded much happier about tackling the rot, which seems to be mostly inner sills at the rear, and inner arches at the front. Purely for convenience Im giving these guys a chance as the garage is literally round the corner from my house. If this fails Mantaray will be my first port of call!

I had a quick rumage around under the seats of the car prior to taking it to the garage (what a fun 2 minute drive!) and managed to find an original owners manual, service booklet, and an OMOC member card from 1995! I will upload a picture of this, this evening. Im pretty certain its one from this club but you guys will be able to confirm.