Breaking 1.8 Hatch Too Rotten To Fix

mantasrme

Some of you will have seen this on e-bay recently, on its third time of being listed i couldn't stop myself and bought it.

I'd been to see it when it was first listed and knew it was only a breaker but rather than some one buying it, removing those parts and scrapping the rest i thought i'd strip it.

That way everything useable will be removed and can go to help other cars rather than be lost.

I'm hoping to have room this weekend to strip it down of anything useful and then scrap the shell, so if you want anything let me know

Sump, steering column, windscreen, axle and radiator are all spoken for already

IMG_1740Medium.jpg

IMG_1742Medium.jpg

IMG_1747Medium.jpg

I'll update this with parts and prices as i remove the bits and see what condition they're in but i wanted to get the advert up incase people want bits i wouldn't normally remove

Its located in Harrogate N,Yorks and i can post smaller stuff but large/ fragile bits would ned collecting

Hi Fella

Any of those wheels in perfect nick? If so, I'll take 'em subject to agreeing a price as I need one or two for my 1.8S Berlinetta.

Also, what sort of nick are the drivers and passenger side door rubbing strips in? Not sure if the hatch and coupe doors are the same ( - I think they are but maybe someone could confirm)? If they are really good with no scratches and nicks (and will fit my coupe) then I'd be interested in those and also and any rubbing strip retaining clips as some of mine have disintegrated. Bit far for me to collect but happy to arrange a courier if you are willing to box up for me.

Cheers

Andy

Shame, looks like quite a good car, but then again they always tend look like that until you lift the carpets and start to poke around!

1.8 hatches are the least loved example of the breed and I suppose it's had three goes at finding a loving owner.

On the basis that you wouldn't kill a salvageable car I've sent you a pm about the fuel tank sender please!

Hi Fella

Any of those wheels in perfect nick? If so, I'll take 'em subject to agreeing a price as I need one or two for my 1.8S Berlinetta.

Also, what sort of nick are the drivers and passenger side door rubbing strips in? Not sure if the hatch and coupe doors are the same ( - I think they are but maybe someone could confirm)? If they are really good with no scratches and nicks (and will fit my coupe) then I'd be interested in those and also and any rubbing strip retaining clips as some of mine have disintegrated. Bit far for me to collect but happy to arrange a courier if you are willing to box up for me.

Cheers

Andy

I'll have a look at the wheels and door strips tomorrow for you.

Hi Dave, could i have the washer bottle and pump with brackets etc? Also the door seals and the internal glass guides that help seal the glass against the b pillar seal? Cheers.

No prob with washer bottle, i'll check the seals and get back to you

I'll have the heater blower and the rubbery GM stamped thing that always breaks and cracks (that is if it isnt broken or cracked!)

Do you mean the fan or the whole housing?

Shame, looks like quite a good car, but then again they always tend look like that until you lift the carpets and start to poke around!

1.8 hatches are the least loved example of the breed and I suppose it's had three goes at finding a loving owner.

On the basis that you wouldn't kill a salvageable car I've sent you a pm about the fuel tank sender please!

Looks quite good in that first picture but it really isn't.

The roof is holed all around the sunroof and the underneath of the floor is so rotten and crumbly i'm supprised its not fallen in two

IMG_1745Medium.jpg

I'll work mt way through the PM's next so you should all get replies soon

Hi do you know, is the fuel tank on this the same as the GT/E?

I'm thinking the inlet / outlet probably isn't the same on a carbed model but if I'm not mistaken they're part of the sender plate and could be changed with the one in my GT/E?

If so and its decent would you mind packaging it up and shipping to Belfast?

hi david

can i have the plastic bit that surounds the sunroof lever,pair of window winder handels and the piece of mesh from grill above battery

thanks gary

I'll take them off at the weekend and check them for you

Cheers boss

The 4 wheels on the car are corroded and scuffed, the spare looks very good it has one slight mark on one spoke

wheel1Medium.jpg

wheel2Medium.jpg

£10 for the wheel

Hi do you know, is the fuel tank on this the same as the GT/E?

I'm thinking the inlet / outlet probably isn't the same on a carbed model but if I'm not mistaken they're part of the sender plate and could be changed with the one in my GT/E?

If so and its decent would you mind packaging it up and shipping to Belfast?

From memory the none injection tank doesn't have a return pipe or the swirl pot type piece in the bottom of the tank, so no thet are different i'm affraid.

Also with how rotten the underside of the car is i doubt the tank won't be rotten aswell.

I'll take them off at the weekend and check them for you

The 4 wheels on the car are corroded and scuffed, the spare looks very good it has one slight mark on one spoke

wheel1Medium.jpg

wheel2Medium.jpg

£10 for the wheel

Great I'll take the wheel. Any news on the rubbing strips?

Great I'll take the wheel. Any news on the rubbing strips?

Sorry forgot to look i'll check

It's a long shot but what condition are the doors and bonnet? Might be interested in front screen too if it's okay?

Cheers, Bob.

Also does the sunroof mechanism work? If so I would like the sunroof please.

Bob.

Bonnets shot as is the bottom of the NS door, will check the OS one, sunroof and screen at the weekend for you.

Well the shells stripped and ready to be disposed of tomorrow.

When i took the front wings off the tops of the a-pillars fell off, and the rest of it was just held by the underseal there wasn't really any metal left

The front crossmember had rotted so badly bits of it had fallen off and the front panel was no longer attached to the rad support :huh:

IMG_1761Medium.jpg

IMG_1754Medium.jpg

Both rubbing strips are damaged on the doors, but i think i might have some more somewhere so i'll have a look for them. Got several spare clips.

Hi Dave, could i have the washer bottle and pump with brackets etc? Also the door seals and the internal glass guides that help seal the glass against the b pillar seal? Cheers.

Bottle and bracket are good. Door seals are in very good condition. Say £10 for the seals and bottle plus postage

Which glass guide do you want, the one thats glued to the window glass i have but the little ones that sit at the top/rear of the door by the outer seal are gone.

hi david

can i have the plastic bit that surounds the sunroof lever,pair of window winder handels and the piece of mesh from grill above battery

thanks gary

Sunroof lever trim is good but a little dis-coloured, mesh is ok, only one of the winder handles still has the knob on though.

Let me have you address and i'll pop them across to you.

Also does the sunroof mechanism work? If so I would like the sunroof please.

Bob.

Sunroof mechanism is in good working order and the panel is out for you. The interiour fabric has a bit of a rip in it but that can be changed across for yours. £5 plus post for the panel.

I'll work through the PM's next

• 2 weeks later...