My Sportshatch V8

andy88890

Thought Id start a project thread as Ive now got some progress pictures. I bought the car on ebay about a month ago requiring 'a little work' Turns out it needs rather a lot. It had a Rover 3.5 V8 conversion done in 1991 by a company in Oxford which Im still researching. The car sounds great and as you can imagine is pretty pokey especially with the manual 5 speed box as well! Anyways heres a few pictures of when I first got the car.

KGrHqRHJFcEelCRcEBQU5S9Ppw60_3.jpg

KGrHqJqIFOUof8BQU5zGGW60_3.jpg

IMG_1290.jpg

IMG_1293.jpg

T2eC16R0E9s37F0gVBQU5U9RgUw60_3.jpg

T2eC16R0E9s37F0gVBQU5U9RgUw60_3.jpg

Progress photos from the garage. Repair work to the rear drivers sill, front inner wing and progress work to the passenger side sill and large hole(s) to the brake servo area. The sills are going to be waxoiled and Im really happy with the quality of the work so far.

IMG_1401.jpg

IMG_1400.jpg

IMG_1402.jpg

IMG_1403.jpg

IMG_1398.jpg

IMG_1397.jpg

IMG_1399.jpg

I know this car! It belonged to Steve Messenger. He used to live in Stanton St John, Oxford. I remember when he bought it in 1991 or 1992, however can't remember him ever using it. It was stored at his Dads house. It had the conversion done before he got it. I don't know who carried out the work.

Edited by paul1393

Ah someone who knows it! Yes I found an owners card under the seat with his name on. From what I know he sold it to a friend of his who did nothing with it and then it was sold to the guy I got it from. Be great to find out more about it, I did make contact with the owner after Steve but havent heard from them about all the mods it has.

Whats your plans for the car? Im in later stages of finishing my Manta hatch with TVR 4.0 engine with 5speed LT77 gearbox, rear diff 1041 locker from a 940 volvo est.

Bias pedal box full roll cage etc. If you need any help with any mods ask away.

How are the brakes coping with the extra load(BHP,Torque)as i believe the rover engine is lighter if not the same as the 2.0?

Good luck with the welding, i think i went through 2 bottles of gas.

• 4 weeks later...

After a bit of head scratching and lots and lots of measuring we cut the spring cup brackets off the Manta axle and welded them on the Volvo axle, making sure the brackets were welded on the right angle so the axle fits square to the car and also the diff flange is facing the gearbox correctly once the car is on the floor. I've also used spax lowered Manta springs and the original arms.

The Volvo axle comes with a 2 link control arms so i fabricated a box section in the floor to allow for this.

The axle is about 40mm wider than the Manta (i think i've remembered that right) so i've been able to use Volvo 5 stud alloys wheels which fit under the arches just right and of course the axle comes with disc brakes as standard which is a bonus.

I had a pair of front hubs made to the same 5 stud pattern so all looks good.

Edited by bris jas

Small update, all welding work (both sills inner/outer, bulkhead, pass. side inner wing, floors) is now completed and sills have been waxoiled. Dropped off a set of new shocks and a second hand brake servo last Saturday so the car just needs MOT'ing. I say 'just' trying to be positive, the brakes need complete refurb, a lot of the electrics (lights etc) need cleaning up and a few other bits and bobs. But Ive nearly got it back!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Dan, still in the garage mate, had to fit a new servo and the only one i could get my hands on was a Manta A one so theyre modifying it to suit my car. Once thats done though it should be back on the road!

Really like the wheels on the car and was pleasantly suprised to find they are quite valuable! If I wever do come to sell them though you can have first refusal ;)

Edited by andy88890

• 9 months later...

Well thought I'd pop in and give an update. Believe it or not the car is now Mot'd (although still in the garage) as its been a nightmare with getting all the electrics recommisioned, had a lot of trouble with relays etc. Its got an overheating issue at the moment so thats beeing investigated. Its been with this garage over a year now so I am not kidding myself that it will be done before Christmas as they do jobs on it as and when they have some spare time to keep my final cost down. Fingers crossed for the new year so I can finally fit the recaro interior and all the other goodies I've accumulated!

• 1 month later...

Breaking news!! Its finally coming home this Saturday! All Mot'd and road legal now. Started her up last night at the garage and its sounds amazing. All I need to do now is get a new radiator as the current one is half blocked. You guys have any idea what my current one is off? Dont think its standard cav/manta as it looks a lot bigger to me. It has the filler at the top on the right hand side, I thought it was the SD1 rad, but looking at pictures of them they dont have a filler where mine does?

rad1_zps59c61ab5.jpg

rad2_zps5f087092.jpg

And a few photos I found after a lot of digging around on the internet for the cars history!

360_e0db9ae50a7707d60d057d253894319f_zps

360_e0db9ae50a7707d60d057d253894319g_zps

360_e0db9ae50a7707d60d057d2538943195_zps

Edited by andy88890
  • Like 2

get a new radiator as the current one is half blocked.

Take it out first and flush it through from both directions, also,whilst your at it, flush the rest of coolant circuit particulary the heater matrix, they always clog up with silt, if the radiator still appears blocked (if it's got sludge/silt in it will wiegh a lot more than it should) you could try something to flush it with, Halfrauds must sell something or even kettle de-scaler.

Otherwise looking good, who'd suspect an old brown Cavalier to be capable of going really quick !

• 5 months later...

Hi guys, need some help... is anyone in the Burnley area that would be kind enough to collect a wing for me, package it up and send it to me? I'm desperate to buy it from ebay but can't justify an 8 hour round trip!

OR

If someone has a good sportshatch wing passenger side (no indicator hole) I would be interested!

Edited by andy88890