Gearbox Sealer

Hi

I have the old getrag 5 speed in bits for a clean up and check over before it goes back in the car but wanted to know whats the best stuff to seal the 2 parts back together and to seal the bolts in? I popped up to the gearbox place near me and they just said use a silicon sealer? is that correct?

Thanks Andy

Edited by 611

Did i not send some to you last time, i know you did ask about it. The proper stuff you need is 93165267 which is a grey sealant for use on alloy parts, its also used on V6 Oil Cooler plates, Sump pans etc ect.

I used this all the time and have neverb yet had a leak

Cost is £10.91 and i have them in stock

Cheers

Andy

if you cant get the proper stuff ...well seal is excellent on engines , it does a good job on astra 8v cam carriers and never leaks 100% perfect for that application .i dont see why it couldnt do a gearbox, i would say its suitable for the job . id reccomend it for any 2 metal faces with oil behind and hot cold. .

i know gearboxes usually have a silicone sealant on them , unless you can get the exact stuff (as andyc says) normal sealer/gasket will probably leak within months .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WELLSEAL-100ml-Jointing-Compound-Gasket-sealant-engine-block-Stag-/251136927197?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a78ed65dd

Hey Dan, thanks for the info.

Andy C, i just got the oil from you as hadn't planned on taking the box apart, but as i have been waiting ages for some goodridge hardline fuel fittings thought i would do it while im waiting :-) its now in bits and almost ready for painting.

I think i might have asked you about it but couldn't find the info. I will give you a shout next week to order some.

Thanks Andy