Manta A Automatic ?

ansbro79

hi guys im a newb lol so hi :) need help and advise from the guys in the know. that would be you lol. ive been after an A series manta for over a year. i do actually want one that needs work to keep me busy until summer...of which year im unsure lol. a friend of a friend is selling a A series 1976 1.6 Automatic manta. now i really wanted a manual but was wondering if you guys could give me some pointers in whats needed to get a bigger lump in the auto which engine gear box etc or should i hold out for a manual. ive heard of autos being converted to manual...... help me guys as i guess their is nobody better to ask..... thanks for your time daz

Hi Daz

Welcome to the club!

The auto will be just right, as you can just drop the Getrag 5 speed box from the later mantas (which is needed as the old 4 speed is not as good as the 5 speed) into it as you need an auto prop for the conversion :-) It needs a bit of work on the linkage but i can supply pics if needed.

And the A series will take any on the opel manta lumps, 1.9, 2.0 and even the 2.2 and frontera 2.4! but the 2.2/2.4 need a bit more work! or if your up for a coversion to something better a lot of people drop the Vauxhall 2.0 16V in them. You should find lots of info in the project secion of the site. Im more for the old school CIH original engine, as with a bit of work you can get some good power out of them. Mine started life as a 1.6 and has moved up a little bit in power, just not got it finished yet :-)

The main thing on the A series is to have a good look at the bodywork as you can spend a lot of time and money putting this right!

I hope some of this info helps you in your quest :-)

Andy

p.s your in the right place for parts help as well as think i have found most places to get bits from while doing mine up!

cheers andy for the reply :) the car itself is in good condition just passed an MOT pretty solid car. paint work is crap. just thought a 1600 engine from the 70s would be pretty tired lol. not after a ferrari just a lump that holds its own in modern day traffic. 2.0L or 2.2. really appreciate your input looks like with a bit of graft the auto wont be a bad move. i may be in touch with advise :) was looking at the 2.2 auto lump from the omega but the later manta swap mght be easier. cheers pal highly appreciated :)

Hey Daz

No problem.

I ran a 1.9 bored out to 95.5mm (2.0l over sized pistons) with a 2.0l big valve head, that was ported and it was putting out about 140bhp on dyno.

I would be a bit careful going with a 2.2 CIH engine as the head has raised intake ports and a different thermostat housing, which dosnt sound like a big problem, but trust me it takes some solving :-) and money :-(

I think i would go with a 2.0l bored out 96mm or maybe you might be able to go 97mm and a good flowed ported 2.0l head with big valves if your sticking with the CIH as parts are easy to get and you should get 150bhp without too many problems and wont cost that much (this is with twin webbers as was my engine)

im sure you will get loads of different advice from people on here as they all have their own preferd tuning options.

a few bits on my blog if your interested www.theopelproject.com

Andy

checked out the blog mate. full of helpful info. will defo let you know how i get on with the manta so will prob be in touch over often. at least you have pointed me in the right direction as i was about to go down the wrong road :o would much rather keep an old skool engine and get the most out of it. 130 bhp is as much as i need. cheers mate very helpful :)

No Problem mate, always happy to help out.

Should be some better pictures up on the blog in the next few weeks as have almost got the last few bits i needed to get the engine back together!

Just drop me a PM if you get the Manta and need any help etc.. i also have the original workshop manual, so can scan any sections if you need to work on any bits and dont have a Haynes manual.

You usually find the autos have had an easier life as opposed to say a 1.9SR

Andy