Saved From The Scrap Man

paulsV8

Had a call last week form a chap I hadn’t heard from for years, and I do mean years! He had a Manta hatch which he had put into storage (a barn) 12 years ago after reversing it into a tree, and thought he'd get it back on the road. He’d taken it to a local garage to have them look over it and start it up. Unfortunately they reported back that the fuel pump had seized and temporarily installed a BMW pump, and after replacing the rotten fuel hoses in the engine bay found all the injectors weren’t working (blocked) and needed replacing.

Consideration the cost he had so far spent and how much he would have had to pay to get it all fixed thought he’d try and sell it as a non runner, and then the garage phoned to say someone had reversed into the front of his car and smashed the head light!

So he phoned me to say would I like it for £250 as that was the price a scrap man had quoted him.

What could I say?

Unfortunately time had certainly taken its toll, what with the mice and squirrels making nests inside the car! I’ve never seen so many acorns there everywhere from the engine bay to glove box, tyre well, you name it they were storing them there!

Well here she is number 4!

Hatch01.jpg

Hatch02.jpg

I've removed the damaged bumper and tried to install a new fuel pump, all the hoses are rotten so I’ve dropped the tank, and I’ve never seen so many holes! Now curiosity has gotten the best of me many a time so I‘ve cut open the tank to see how bad it is. Full of rust.

Hatch05.jpg

Hatch06.jpg

All cleaned up.

Hatch07.jpg

Hatch08.jpg

Externally cleaned back to bear metal red oxide primed and stone chipped it.

Internally I’m using Tank sealer, should do the job nicely.

Hatch09.jpg

DIY Fuel injector cleaning

In regards to the injectors I’ve set up this little number. Using a 10mm syringe I filled it up with neat injector cleaner, plug the injector on to the battery and using an air hose blast it through. It takes time but there all working now.

Try this link;

http://youtu.be/VFJlTfHyrUk

Hatch11.jpg

• Like 1

Now I've got a little problem. I've cleaned up all the brackets etc looked through the Manta work manual to see the layout of the pump etc and guess what they only show the coupe.

Mantacoupefuellayout.jpg

Now which of these would be the correct way to go, Pic 1?

Mantahatchfuellayout02.jpg

or pic 2?

Mantahatchfuellayout01.jpg

Any ideas?

Oh I forgot to mention, any idea where to get a replacement pre-filter? The manual states both filters to be changed every 2 years or every 40000 km.

Not something I've even done on the other cars. I think I'd better get that done!

nice work saving that ,and such an unusual colour too . i always wondered what the inside of an injection tank looked like. i would go for pic 1 for the fuel pump pipe work. that looks the most familar to me when i changed all my pipes. as for the pre-filter i didnt have one so didnt know it should until now.

keep up the good work. paul

Thanks guys. The roof has started to go rusty so I will have to cut it off and convert it to a solid roof. Although I had thought of going a bit more extreem and converting it into a pickup. I saw a 400 done many years back at Billing, but that was a convertable / pickup. Never saw the car arround or heard what happened to it after the show.

What do you reckon?

Maybe I shoud do a couple of mock up photos first.

hi. the pre filter is only used on the coupe tank. the hatch gte tank should have a mesh unit on the end of the pick up pipe in the tank .pic 1 is correct.pic 2 would put too much strain on the plastic outlet from the pump.due to the bend in the hose. also dont forget that the haynes book shows the pipes the wrong way round at the engine.the supply from the pump goes to the t piece & around to the injectors & to the pressure regulator,leaving the regulator at the centre pipe back to the tank return.

dont forget that the haynes book shows the pipes the wrong way round at the engine.the supply from the pump goes to the t piece & around to the injectors & to the pressure regulator,leaving the regulator at the centre pipe back to the tank return.

Oh how I wish we'd had the internet when I built mine. That 'wee mistake' caused hours of anguish.

Cheers

D