What Lsds Will Fit In A Manta?

JohnClayton

This rally car:

http://forums.mantaclub.org/topic/24398-87-coupe-clubman-rally-car/page__gopid__200480#entry200480

currently has an open diff in it, so what models of car out there can be a donor for an LSD that can be bought for reasonable money and will bolt in (without too much faff)?

If there aren't any suitable Manta diffs, can a Sierra or Granada Viscous LSD be fitted in?

Righto -roughly how much will it cost to put an LSD into a Manta diff, do you think?

last time i had one done, it was around the £350 mark to have it taken out of a diff that i had blown the pinion bearing in and put it back into another manta axle.

That included new bearings, crush washer and setting up the mesh with a new CWP.

I believe the price of the bearings has more than doubled since i had it done.

Quaife Opel Manta/GT/Ascona LSD ATB Differential

http://www.motorspor...l-p-269064.html

£700 inc VAT

PhantomGrip LSD-Kit Opel Manta

http://www.mts-motor...-Kit-Opel-Manta

279 Euros

There are also 2 on eBay (new) for £900 and £745 approx

The phantom one looks like what people used to do with a slab of steel and an arc welder creating a locked diff. That's what a grasser or banger racer will do but on a road car it's not a good idea as it will cause traction problems going around corners due to the wheels travelling in different arcs..

Fit a proper plate diff from zf or a copy from gripper,the quaife ones don't grip correctly either as they are a geared diff

I have been in cars, driven and experienced both plate and geared diffs

Plates are the best most progressive ones you will use

Edited by Kevin Abbott

• 2 months later...

ZF is the name of the manufacturers.

They made the OE spec diffs for the manta aswell as rally/race diffs (OE spec have ramp angles and pre-load more suited to the road, but thay can be changed to rally spec)

I can only think of 3 companies that make/made LSDs for the manta ZF, Quaife and Gripper.

ZF no longer make new diffs so you'll only find them in used condition, they are a plate diff and the replacement plates are once again available. Not sure if different side gears are available currently though.

Quaife will make new diffs but require a silly amount to be ordered to run off a batch (10 or 20 i think it was) and they are a torque biasing diff (ok for road, but no wherenear as good as a plate and useless for competition)

Gripper are the only ones who sell new diffs currently, and again they are plate diffs and any ramp angles or preload is available from stock (as are spares).

They are not cheap at around £850 but they are very good and work very well (its what i run in the rally car)

I'm not including the Phantom grip thing as its not a real LSD in my eyes

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Plenty of stuff fits and are cheaper than a manta LSD

If you can fit an axle from another car and do it on your own then you're on to a winner.

If you have to pay someone to fit it then it will be a much much more expensive.

I'm getting retro power to do mine ( 4HA )

And I don't think I will get any change out of 2k

But I will never have to put another diff in the car.

• Like 1

Plenty of stuff fits and are cheaper than a manta LSD

If you can fit an axle from another car and do it on your own then you're on to a winner.

If you have to pay someone to fit it then it will be a much much more expensive.

I'm getting retro power to do mine ( 4HA )

And I don't think I will get any change out of 2k

But I will never have to put another diff in the car.

Wouldn't cost £2K to fit a Manta LSD, would it?

But I'm assuming the 4HA setup will include four-link, the lsd, plus rear discs (and maybe five-stud hubs, if desired).

In which case you get a lot for the money, And done by people who know how it all goes together,

A standard Manta axle with a decent lsd set up in it will cost around a grand, more if you then add a steel torque tube, rear disc conversion, uprated doughnut and bobbins, nylon bushes etc

If you manage to find a lsd in a manta axle then if it's not stripped down and rebuilt ( £500+) then if it goes bang due to a worn pinion bearing ( the weak link) you are into a rebuild anyway

Yea the 4HA is going to be done like a 400 axle, i already have 2 xjs lsd units ( massive items) and a variety of ratios to play with from old 4HA axles

I have converted the 4HA to 5 stud 5x120 as I'm using BMW split rims and i will make my own rear disc kit.

Callum from RP put me onto nissan skyline discs and calipers they have had good success with on the 4HA

Good luck with the hunt :)

There may be some pics of my axle in my build thread..

http://forums.mantaclub.org/topic/30404-manta-400-r-cosworth-update-jan-2013/?hl=cosworth

Edited by Kevin Abbott

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

There's some useful info on this forum thread

Opel manta b lsd gripper diff, anyone have?

http://www.britishrally.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=57015&sid=a887934a49a757df5756b07a179f19e4

[info pasted out below, for reference]

Simple! Ask Jon Balinger, walking encyclopedia on Manta's.

icon_post_report.gif Top

icon_user_profile.gif icon_contact_pm.gif  
icon_post_quote.gif  

spacer.gifMantasport

Post subject: Re: Opel manta b lsd gripper diff, anyone have?
icon_post_target.gifPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:51 am 

icon_user_offline.gif Senior Member 4_star_rating.gif

I doubt you will find a second hand gripper diff for a manta anywhere for sale to be honest.
Manta LSD's do come up secondhand occasionally but only the old ZF type, not often in the uk but try German E-bay for more available diffs

Anyone with a gripper lsd in their car won't be selling it unless the car is totaled, and even then they will most likely build another car.

icon_post_report.gif Top

icon_post_quote.gif  

spacer.gifdrew19

icon_post_target.gifPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:54 pm 

icon_user_offline.gif Newbie 1_star_rating.gif

Assuming it is the standard axle then
Ascona A 1.9 had one as standard
Kadett GTE coupe had them as standard
Both of these were ZP plate diffs. 
I was lucky enough to find them in scrap yards a long time ago £25 each they cost me.....
So you don't need one from a Manta as the Ascona A and B series, Manta A and B series,
RWD Kadett all have the same axle ASSUMING they had the 1.9 or 2.0 engine.
Happy hunting.

icon_post_report.gif Top

icon_post_quote.gif  

spacer.gifTJMsport

icon_post_target.gifPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:50 pm 

icon_user_offline.gif Newbie 1_star_rating.gif

Just be careful that you get the correct offset diff to suit your crown wheel and pinion as there is approx 4mm difference between some ratios.

Regards
Tim
Edited by JohnClayton

There is another manufacturer of LSD for Mantas, they are Titan Products,see www.titan.uk.net, and they list diffs for both types of axles (3.44:1 and higher and 3.67:1 and lower). They are plate diffs and you have a choice of steel, sintered or carbon plates, steel being the cheapest. I have been quoted £750.00 + VAT for the sintered type. If you want a want a ZF LSD diff I have one for the high ratio axles when I get a chance to extract it from the axle.