Hello! Just Picked Up A Mk1 Cav Coupe!

Rob36

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Brown Job. Yeah mate she now has a ticket! Needed weld to the NS sill and inner rear arch, new front pads, wiper blades and rear number plate bulb! Thats it! She's currently in a mates body shop getting a bit of colour on the quarter panel above where the welding was done, also getting a bit of surface blistering dealt with on the boot lid. Luckily Im a signwriter / vinyl sign maker by trade so Im doing a sign for him in exchange for the work. Shes then good for the road! Ive picked up a Mk1 Carlton rad (new old stock) and then change of fluids/new thermostat/rostyle refurb (spare already done) and we're pretty much there! Just need to sort a wear patch on the drivers seat. Oh and by the way, in answer to previous posts, she's actually L500 Flamenco red!

Edited by Rob36
  • Like 1

Super cool!

Just for info, a bit late now, but if you want to upgarde the brakes next time you change the pads, I really like EBC Greenstuff. It's a road grade Kevlar and you get 25-30% improvement over standard pad braking (am guessing this is the twin-pot system from the fact that the car is "S" reg). Going to fit them to my "S reg next time.

Before the rad is fitted, you might like to consider getting a radiator repair shop (if you've got one locally) to fit a radiator drain tap. Really useful to let 90% of the coolant go instead of having the full head spurting all over you when you go to change the coolant, and handy to be able to drain a bit off if you want to top up with extra antifreeze, etc. Hey, that reminds me, - teaching my grandmother to suck eggs again - remember to use the old-style blue antifreeze, not the modern orange stuff, it's powerful bad for old engines!

By the way, nice to have my guess proved right that a Belgian-built car would use an Opel colour.

See you at the Llandudno Extravaganza, then?

BJ

• Like 1

Interesting thought about adding the rad tap. How much dya reckon that would cost> Funds are starting to get a bit low for the moment! Yep, we're planning on doing the Extravaganza I think! Do you have to be a fully fledged club member for entrance to the field by the way? Im sure someone told me that you did?

I got the V5 through today - had to apply for one coz the lady I got the car off had lost the paperwork unfortunately. Anyway - turns out...ONE previous owner - the ladies dad! She never updated the docs when he passed away.

Rad tap should be a cheap thing, any decent place shouldn't really charge much more than £10-15. After all, it's just a question of drilling a hole in the brass lower tank and soldering/brazing in a ready-made tap. Or cementing it in if it's a nylon tap. If you can get one, the metal taps are much better, the nylon ones tend to age-harden and then the lugs snap off when you go to undo them. It takes years for it to happen but it's still really annoying and then you have to get the tap taken out and a new one put in. If you are a good solderer/brazer there's no reason why you couldn't fit your own drain tap - I am a lousy solderer so get it done by a professional!

As far as I can remember the Extravaganza is open to anyone, including private entrants. The advantage of being a paid-up member at any sort of show is that clubs have Public Liability Insurance for their members, useful in this litiginous age! You could call then or check on the website to see Ts&Cs?

I think that the more you look into this car, the bigger the A1 find it's turning out to be. One-family from new cars still turn up, but less often these days for obvious reasons. Mine had 4 previous families - unfortunately, I think one was the Addams Family!

BJ

• Like 1