My Canadian Manta Project

x-pat mike

here is a rendering i had done of my pro touring style manta, hope to have an sr20 det and 5 speed, but it may just get an ls1 as it will fit easier, also hope to fit an irs of some sort if i can get one narrow enough,

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb453/kryptonite1967/72_Opel_Manta_Render.jpg

• Like 1

this is how it looks at the moment, it is a 58000miler and was ziebarted from new, the inner door plastic has never been off and as the windscreen rubbers are junk i cut the corners to check for rust and they are solid, battery area is just starting to go , same the other side but overall is good condition i think,

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb453/kryptonite1967/mantaarrival002.jpg

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb453/kryptonite1967/mantaarrival010.jpg

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb453/kryptonite1967/mantaarrival009.jpg

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb453/kryptonite1967/mantaarrival008.jpg

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb453/kryptonite1967/mantaarrival007.jpg

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb453/kryptonite1967/mantaarrival006.jpg

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb453/kryptonite1967/mantaarrival005.jpg

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb453/kryptonite1967/mantaarrival004.jpg

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb453/kryptonite1967/mantaarrival003.jpg

the bumpers are already off, ready to weigh in the aluminium! these are like 3/8ths thick!! and i am on the lookout for euro bumpers but having no luck so if anyone has any even in rough condition i am interested .

did the irs work well though? or is it not on the road yet? i have the e30 on my list as it is only a few inches wider but i also want some dish to the wheels so it may not work, i had a narrowed c4 vette irs in my nova but the caster/camber changes cause handling issues on less than smooth roads, the work to fit one is not really an issue as its what i do for a living working in a hotrod shop, but if there is not much improvement i might as well just narrow a 9" ford axle and know i can never break it!

• Like 1

not used it, still a work in progress. but i know of a kaddett C that has used with great success. with the e30, camber agles are a big issue with lowering, i have modified the trailing arm poinst to compensate for camber also flipped the subframe upside down to aid mounting too.

if i was to aim for big power id go for volvo 240 beam axle, (i did have one! but sourcing LSD unit was too difficult), hence the bmw unit with plentiful strong LSD options

• Like 1

i have heard about the e30 issues regards camber etc, but why cant the carrier be mounted higher in the car so the suspension runs at stock height? is it because there would be too much to cut out? the e36 is same width but has upper links too to avoid camber change i believe but havnt seen one fitted yet.

well, after measuring an sr20 det it is wider than the frame rails!! over the turbo and intake its 25" and the sump fouls so its not an option at present, the s2000 honda is narrow enough but nearly 3" too tall and shifter is too far back, i have the chance to buy a new v6 3.6ltr from 2010 camaro with 6 speed auto and paddle shift if the measurements work out, this motor has 5 miles on it! car got damaged during delivery, so this may be another different option, 304 hp so it should scoot pretty well,

i think the holes are too high up! but i had planned on scooping out the lower edges to help blend exhaust in,

The v6 believe it or not is longer than the v8!! as the direct injection fuel pump runs off the back of the cams on this motor, i have read up a lot on sr20 motors and they are prone to spinning bearings and throwing rods so not sure about them at all now, wacky mick wilkes has offered to source me some redtops and ship em over along with bellhousing adapter for t5 mustang trans, so i am looking at keeping it all gm with a redtop(apart from t5!) am also looking at a miata (mx5) for an irs and possibly front suspension too, although i have been told that a pontiac fiero has very similar front to manta and maybe a brake upgrade could come from that, i will investigate more on this,

i know! but it is too easy lol! my nova had the ls6 in it which was 430hp, i would probably do an all aluminum 5.3 as they are dirt cheap compared to ls1 or 6 litre and still 330hp, i just wanted a standard tranny and a t56 and clutch will be way more than the motor cost (2-2500 bucks) i can get an sr20 and tranny/ecu etc for 2000bucks, i have thought more about the v6 and maybe notching firewall to clear fuel pump etc, i will not be running stock heater unit as it was all broken, i will probably run a small vintage air heat/ac unit under the dash, i like the v6 because of the 6 speed paddleshift option, and as far as i know no one else has transplanted such a new motor design, where i work we have a hundred or more ls motors and trannys in stock and we fit them all the time so thats why its no challenge to me, there are lots of oldschool rodders here and in uk that are scared of all the electronics involved with these motors but they are so easy to wire these days, and run so smooth with twice the gas mileage of a smallblock motor that i will probably never use a carb again! and if they do go wrong you plug in a 40 dollar scanner and you know exactly what to go to to fix it, if any guys on here need ls info i can sort it for you,

me and my big mouth about the ls1 being an easy fit!! bought a block and heads home to test fit and was shocked at how much change will be necessary to fit it if i go that way, the corner of the head is on centerline of m/cylinder so even without the booster it aint going to work, so would have to put brakes at front like others have, and firewall will go 3-4" back and way larger tunnel! so now i am waiting on wacky mick wilkes for all the specs on a redtop/t5 trans install, still debating on mx5 front and rear suspension, just have to narrow it a couple of inches,

nissan was my first choice, but after having measured one it is wider than the ls motor with all the intake and exhaust etc, the height is an issue as i dont want a hood bulge and it is really close! shifter is also a little too far back, i know it wont cost too much to upgrade the sr20 to 320hp but a stock 5.3 puts this out already, and a lot of sr20 motors are getting pulled out due to spun bearings etc so its put me off a little with these, i am still far from decided yet on motor choice,

i pulled the r/h front fender/wing! today to check the rust issues i found in front floor section had not gone too far into hinge panels, i lucked out as they are good, it looks like the only welding this car ever had was to repair a small front end accident, it has had a front nose piece and two wings, and they tacked the wings at front to save bolting !!! i also mocked up some spare suspension arms and they are very close to stock a series arms, these would use the stock chrysler ball joints that all aftermarket hotrod suspensions use, this would allow dropped spindles and big brakes off the shelf, i put a few pics of the ls in there, it still has to go back at least 4 inches over 2 inches towards m/c and lower by 2-3 inches, cant see yet how headers would fit, without cutting the front rails out! if anyone has dims for a redtop turbo i would be grateful, i.e height to bottom of pan, width etc

manta001.jpg

manta002.jpg

manta003.jpg

manta004.jpg

manta005.jpg

manta006.jpg

manta007.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

v8 ftw!

lol! it still might be, but, if i go that way then all the floors will come out and a full chassis will go in to take it! its header clearance is a big issue as i cant just widen the rails because of the front suspension! looks like a mx5 irs is the way to go for easy narrowing etc and then put t-bird centre section with lsd,

that ford looks tiny in there! it also sits way lower than my ls is at present! how does it work with the ford motor being front sump! we build mustangs and always have issues with getting them low and sean hyland who is a performance ford guru said there werent kits available to swap it over, i have never personally looked for this as i am not a ford guy, unless its a cossie motor! what do you use for a heater with this conversion? very clean job by the way!

• 5 weeks later...

i have now measured up a mx-5(miata) 1.6l with 5 speed and it will fit as the original does, over here they are like 300 quid for a motor, i have a flyin miata turbo setup for one that puts 240hp to the wheels so should go well! the irs cradle will need to be narrowed 5 inches and i will order custom axles for the ford t-bird centre section, these will be as much as a motor !, there are cheap brake upgrades for the rear and i am measuring up tomorrow for fitting mx-5 front arms too so i can use those brakes for a balanced package, i will hopefully be putting the car up on a fixture in the next few weeks, so i can sort out the new rear rails for the irs, i may even run full rails if i go with front mx5 suspension points too, i wanted to keep it all gm but over here it is not practical as i have to import everything from europe and the costs are too much for the performance it would give, i have had a really hard time sorting wheels out as most cast ones dont have 7" up to 9" widths and most 3 piece start at 18" which is way too big for this car as well as 1000 bucks a rim! i have been looking at the 9496ul nickel rims in 16" which will at least give me a starting point to set up the chassis and ride heights etc, will hopefully get more pics up soon,