Manta B Lamp Bar

Redrobie

Hi, I am looking for a set of two up two down lamp bars for my Manta B. Problem is I don't want to have to butcher my bodywork or front bumper anywhere that will be seen. Difficult on that nose. So if anyone has a set or even can provide drawings and measurements that would be great.

Cheers, Bob.

:) would be interested in this myself....

I have seen some very tidy fixed installs on the Manta, However most of those involved bolt up brackets to the bumper.

I am probably going to fabricate a bar, fix the lights to the bar, use quick disconnect lamp steadies and wire the lights to water proof plugs just behind the bumper

will come up with a simple way of decoupling the bar, unplug the lights and have the ability to take the complete light bar assembly on and off as needed

wont be a 5 minute job and should not be invasive in the area of the bumper area

confident it can be done in a way that makes it look like its supposed to be there.

have not seen anyone do this yet, the idea is in my head and will be looked at soon as I need to hire a tube bender soon to finish off the roll cage and will form the tube for the light bar at the same time.

That sounds ideal. I had not thought of quick release to get the lights off for normal use. I would be interested of you produce a couple. I really don't want to drill the bumper but slam panel and any area behind the bumper line would be okay to drill mounting holes etc.

Two bolts that hold bumper to chassis, and a bracket that come up in that radiator vent in front spoiler,

or alternatively, buy a second front bumper, and drill it,

see parts for sale:

1986 Gte Front Bumper several of £10 each, emmm!!

Edited by brady

That would be a great idea Brady, except it's an early chrome bumper B I have got and spare bumpers don't come up for sale all that often. I want it to look like some guy had done it up for a bit of fun at his local motor club way back in the day and also to augment the pitiful headlights it has. I guess making my own brackets that avoid the panels and bumper may well be the only way forward.

• Like 1

sounds like rutts has probably more idea on this, sounds like he has actually seen what I have never seen, but I have an idea of how I want it done, needs to be solid otherwise the lamps will vibrate and be shining all over the place.

I was also planning on integrating tow eyes that can be used when the bar is removed, using the bar mounts as the same fixing points, the single tow eye on the sub frame causes damage to the front spoiler getting the car winched on an off the trailer.

Edited by opelmantagsi

I'm sure they actual made a lamp bracket for the early B's although i'm not sure where they attached to so might need a bolt in the bumper for support.

Its the big plastic bumper that makes it hard to fit lamp brackets, especially if you want to be able to remove them quickly.
Should be pretty easy to build a bracket for yours with the chrome bumper as there's a load of room to get around it. Simple support bar across between the chassis rail ends and then bring steel forward from that either above or under the bumper. Use bolts from above to hold the 2 together and they can be undone through the radiator tray area.

My old road rally setup with the plastic bumpers was very simple and easy to make but wasn't that quick to remove (not that i ever did).
The inner and outer front bumper were no longer attached to each other in the normal way. Instead there was just one nut and bolt through the plastic behind the numberplate that held the cover to the frame, and the original wing clips. It never wobbled or rattled but meant i could whip it of for access in 30seconds flat. Took a little longer to refit by myself, but quick with 2 people to line up the wing clips.
The lamp brackets were then just deep bits of angle iron that touched both upper and lower lip of the rear of the mounting bar, then bolted through to the front of the bar through a tube (to stop it crushing the frame).
The cover could be fitted with the lamps on and just secured with the single bolt. Not the best description but it looked like this with the plastic off

e203-stage%20(1).jpg

Since then i've redone it completly so the lamps can be removed in a about 1 minute as its now a stage rally car and i don't leave the lamps on.

• Like 1