79 Cav Hatch C20Xe

mantaboy89

So i have owned my 79 hatch for 3 years now and its spent most of that time on the road, (had two stints at about 10 months each) and considering i only bought it for the engine at the time i dont think its done too bad. I bought the car for 290 quid in january 2010 after the engine in my gte blew up, was going to full the engine use it in my gte and then break the car, but after getin her home and givin her a once over decided to try and get it through an mot. All it needed was some fresh fuel, cleared the lines and unstuck a siezed clutch plate. and what do you know she fle her MOT. Used the car for 10 months then garaged it for the winter. Done a little bit of work to her while she was off the road including bits of welding, rebuilding the brakes, 5 speed box and lowered and stiffend suspension along with an ally bushed adjustable arb bar. Did try to fit injection also but scraped that idea when i couldnt get it to run. so went back on the road for another 9-10 months and went back into the garage in september last year. Been racking my brain trying to figure out what to do with her and when i was offered a mk3 cavalier sri for 200 quid i decided i would use the c20xe engine in her to build a good reliable classic. She is now stripped down and on the spit waiting for welding to start, altogether have rear arches and sills to replace, front jacking points, floorpans and chassis rails/swan necks. Yet agian as i always do ive given myself a ridiculous deadline of the end of august so will be putting a lot of hours in over the garage this summer. Once she is complete she should meet the following spec

79 cav hatch with all rot cut out and replaced with new steel, rebuilt c20xe on injection. 5 speed 1.8 getrag, rebuilt rear axle and torque tube, sri/audi front brakes, braided hoses, polybushed throughout, powder coated front axle and suspension arms, spax adjustable shocks with standard gte springs, ajdustable panhard rod. corsa c pas column, aftermarket central locking kit and a nice stereo system.

All in all should be a great practical every day car when its done that i am hoping will do me for a good few years. Pictures below of progress so far. No going back now.

When i had her on the road

cavnorthwales12_zps3f860a4b.jpg

And where she is now

DSC_0189_zpsaee76178.jpg

DSC_0146_zps4b67c263.jpg

fnepictures149_zpsc019af3d.jpg

fnepictures164_zps233934ea.jpg

fnepictures194_zpse124076a.jpg

Let me know what you guys think and all help and tips appreciated.

• Like 2

So i have owned my 79 hatch for 3 years now and its spent most of that time on the road, (had two stints at about 10 months each) and considering i only bought it for the engine at the time i dont think its done too bad. I bought the car for 290 quid in january 2010 after the engine in my gte blew up, was going to full the engine use it in my gte and then break the car, but after getin her home and givin her a once over decided to try and get it through an mot. All it needed was some fresh fuel, cleared the lines and unstuck a siezed clutch plate. and what do you know she fle her MOT. Used the car for 10 months then garaged it for the winter. Done a little bit of work to her while she was off the road including bits of welding, rebuilding the brakes, 5 speed box and lowered and stiffend suspension along with an ally bushed adjustable arb bar. Did try to fit injection also but scraped that idea when i couldnt get it to run. so went back on the road for another 9-10 months and went back into the garage in september last year. Been racking my brain trying to figure out what to do with her and when i was offered a mk3 cavalier sri for 200 quid i decided i would use the c20xe engine in her to build a good reliable classic. She is now stripped down and on the spit waiting for welding to start, altogether have rear arches and sills to replace, front jacking points, floorpans and chassis rails/swan necks. Yet agian as i always do ive given myself a ridiculous deadline of the end of august so will be putting a lot of hours in over the garage this summer. Once she is complete she should meet the following spec

79 cav hatch with all rot cut out and replaced with new steel, rebuilt c20xe on injection. 5 speed 1.8 getrag, rebuilt rear axle and torque tube, sri/audi front brakes, braided hoses, polybushed throughout, powder coated front axle and suspension arms, spax adjustable shocks with standard gte springs, ajdustable panhard rod. corsa c pas column, aftermarket central locking kit and a nice stereo system.

All in all should be a great practical every day car when its done that i am hoping will do me for a good few years. Pictures below of progress so far. No going back now.

When i had her on the road

cavnorthwales12_zps3f860a4b.jpg

And where she is now

DSC_0189_zpsaee76178.jpg

DSC_0146_zps4b67c263.jpg

fnepictures149_zpsc019af3d.jpg

fnepictures164_zps233934ea.jpg

fnepictures194_zpse124076a.jpg

Let me know what you guys think and all help and tips appreciated.

Love this colour same as mine.

I will have to invest in a spit look forward to you progress

It will scare you how long that will take you i have been working on my sr cav for a year.

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd419/andrewf21/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx_zpsa1b9a27d.jpg

Edited by Andrew Findlay

Doesn't look that bad, and having it on a spit makes it so much easier to repair and make a neat job of it.

Oh and while you can get a corsa C column to work you won't be able to use an original steering wheel as the top is a completely different spline style.

You need an aftermarket boss and a wheel that will bolt to that, so aftermarket again like momo omp etc.

When i was first looking at options for power steering i tried a C column and couldn't find a position it fitted without having to relocate a lot of stuff.

Might be easiest to sell the C column and get a B. With the shell stripped on a spit its very easy to fab the mounts for the B and hide it all behind the dash.

You also get to keep the steering wheel/switchgear and cowling original.

Looks like she might be going to the scrap yard in the sky. After grinding back the underside she needs arches, outer sills, inner sills, floorpans, swan necks, repairs to the front panel, inner wings and footwells. Anyone wanna do the work? Haha

Looking for a shell now.

Edited by mantaboy89

Looks like she might be going to the scrap yard in the sky. After grinding back the underside she needs arches, outer sills, inner sills, floorpans, swan necks, repairs to the front panel, inner wings and footwells. Anyone wanna do the work? Haha

Looking for a shell now.

Thats about what i would expect from most cars that have had work over the years to keep them on the road, infact if the lower back panel/lower 1/4's, battery tray, and washer tray don't need work its better than what i normally see.

You will struggle to find a shell that doesn't need work, unless you find one thats already had the work done to it.

They pretty much all need some welding doing if you strip off all the under seal and see whats going on behind it.

If you do one part at a time and plan the order a little first its not that bad to do.

Plus you will then have saved the car and know that its solid and good for another 34 years on the road

• 4 months later...