V8 Question - Changing Th Sump (Why?)

Jongould

Hi,

Quick question regarding the V8 conversion, I know I need to change the sump and I am guessing its because for ground clearance, is that correct?

I am weighing up my options, at this point I am thinking I may modify the sump myself, get it welded at a lower (higher) level and use less oil, I will have to modify the pickup but that should be no problem...

Alsom gearbox, I have been told its a pretty simple fit with no firewall mods needed unless I want to position it further back, anyone know if that's tru?

This is all in a 1983 GTE

Cheers

Hi,

I've not long finished my V8 conversion so hopefully i can give you a few pointers. If you sit the engine forward the box should fit ok, maybe the od adjustment to the bulkhead but by doing this you loose a lot of space at the front for the rad etc.

Rad will fit but much tighter and you will need to remove the radiator side mount panels.

I sat my engine much further back this time but i had to totally change the bulkhead and tunnel which is a much bigger job but now complete the car handles well and i have plenty of room all round the engine.

The reason you have to modify the sump is because of the clearance to the subframe. The sump is steel so i cut and fabricated a new one but also keeping the same oil capacity which is important and also modifying the pick up pipe.

Jason

Hi,

I've not long finished my V8 conversion so hopefully i can give you a few pointers. If you sit the engine forward the box should fit ok, maybe the od adjustment to the bulkhead but by doing this you loose a lot of space at the front for the rad etc.

Rad will fit but much tighter and you will need to remove the radiator side mount panels.

I sat my engine much further back this time but i had to totally change the bulkhead and tunnel which is a much bigger job but now complete the car handles well and i have plenty of room all round the engine.

The reason you have to modify the sump is because of the clearance to the subframe. The sump is steel so i cut and fabricated a new one but also keeping the same oil capacity which is important and also modifying the pick up pipe.

Jason

That's kinda what I knew, thanks for the conformation. I will decide on where to put it then, I may get it back a few inches, will have to see when I got it lined up...

Few other questions then, what did you do for mounts? I was thinking of just cutting the land rover ones off and welding them straight on where I need them, also I guess you used a TR7 gearbox (LT77)?

I don't suppose you have any pics or a build thread do you?

Cheers

Jon

I cut the manta mounts off the cross member and made new mounts to line up the position of the engine then welded back to the member, i guess you could use the land rover ones although i didn't get these so had to make my own.

Yes i've used a LT77 box. I don't have a build thread on here as never took the time to work out how to up load them. I have a few pictures i could email you if you give me your email address

Jason