Xe Conversion Questions

Ems

I've got a early xe with the dizzy on the back. I'll be using the standard injection system. I've read various forums and opinions seem to vary on the following?

Does the bulkhead need any mods?

Will the Manta servo be in the way?

What throttle cable do I need?

If I want to move the dizzy to the front can the 1.8 bracket be used and what else do I need?

I got a new Ashley Manifold with the engine, will this need any modifications to fit?

Thanks

i have all the bits inlet different cam small cover for the back of the head where dizzy goes coil pack ecu loom airflow meter all c20xe 16v cals and cavs after 93 2yrs have them bits think ecu is pt yours is GA or GQ my guess its up to you if you want to loose your heater or not you can go front dizzy drive route is the other way to suit your set up

Edited by redmanta xe

All I know is the engine I've got has a coscast head, the wiring loom has a octane plug and the ecu is possibly FP. So if I went dis pack I'll have to change the inlet, ecu, cam, wiring, etc and fit a lambda sensor?

To answer your questions:

The bulkhead doesn't NEED modifying to get the engine in but taking a little off the lip dead centre makes it easier to get the water pipe on/off

e203-16v%20(6).jpg

Servo isn't a problem, don't remember vac pipe being a major issue either think i just used the manta top half and astra lower with the one way valve joining the 2

Throttle cable is a standard manta one, pretty sure its GT/e one but its been a while since i fitted one now.

As for the dizzy it fits where the heater box is (you can see the line in the pic above where the heater comes to and the rotor arm would be in it never mind the dizzy cap)

So you can either remove the heater and mount it elsewhere. I mounted it where the battery used to be but boxed inside the car so no engine bay fumes, next one i will be using one of the new micro heaters along the bulkhead in the engine bay. But there are several options out there now

Or you can relocate the dizzy to the front of the engine (never done it that way myself so can't help with how to, but if you do that might as well run carbs)

Or convert to a dispack xe setup, which means changing the ECU and Wiring loom, adding a cam sensor to rear of head, blocking oilway in exhaust camshaft, adding coilpack, adding lambda sensor and boss to exhaust

Little extra XE info for you

The early XE with the dizzy came in 2 flavours, the first were 20XE without a cat and without a lambda, then they changed to C20XE with both cat and lambda before changing to the later dispak version.

The 20XE has a different loom than the C20XE as there is no provision for the lambda and also either the throttle body sensor or AFM are different plugs if i remember rightly (could actually be both) I have a 20XE in my rally car so can check the plugs if need be but if your loom doesn't have a lambda plug then its a 20XE if it does its a C20XE

While any XE ecu will run with a dizzy engine some run better thn others.

The earlier engine when matched with the right ECU gives the most power of any standard XE setup (hence why its in my car :D ) and is much more responsive all round. I tried 3 different ones back to back on my local fresh air dyno (long uphill section just down the road) and its a noticable difference

The dizzy is the biggest issue with fitting the XE in a manta, if its a road car Dispak is very easy but a little less power and technically tighter emmision standards for the MOT

If its a rally car then the earlier 20XE and a bit of work for the heater is my choice (but i like the power :ph34r: )

• Like 1

I have a dispack on mine didn't need to modify the bulkhead as it doesn't foul but should have as the new heater pipe rubs the bulkhead and will cause issues down the line,

I bought a mounting bracket to run 1800 dissy off the front. I don't need it so if you want it give me a shout.

A 57i kit would be ideal.i run one on my c20Xe setup. i also have an Ashley exhaust manifold. it is a good fit but I did have to adjust (bend) it slightly to clear the suspension outrigger. i also fitted the socket for the lambda sensor to the manifold just after all the pipes join into one. on the heater front, i grafted a VW polo heater onto the original manta flange. this just clears the distributer but I need to either replace it or add some ducting as the air intake sits in the engine bay next to the dizzy. My manta is in its garage at the moment so i wont be able to get you any photograhs for a couple of days.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Various parts for the fuel injection have corroded quite badly so I might change it to dispack.

Will any c20xe dispack system fit?

Do I need to change the exhaust cam?

Do I need a blanking plate where the distributor used to be or does a sensor go there?

Thanks

The best option is to use the micro heater box. From what i hear they are brilliant pices of kit.

Your other option of course woukd be to save alot of money and fire an Ecotec in it, for the same money as an XE conversion you could have a Z20LET installed negating the need for bulkhead mods ecu giggery pokery etc.

I have a Manta sitting on my drive with a 2.0 ecotec engine fitted and it runs a treat, im even thinking about using a Z20LET in my new build..... just thinking mind lol.

I know the 'newage' engines get a bad wrap but its a cheap way of getting more power and a good level of reliability.

I've personally had 4 Xe/Let engines and all throw up the same issues sooner or later.