1978 Manta Sr Berlinetta - Australian Version!

GTREA

Hahaha

Yeah don't worry the car looks rubbish in real life....the amount of time I need to spend editing the photos in photoshop before I upload them to make the car look good for you blokes is unbelievable :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yes my mates not happy I painted the bay before the engine goes in, but I don't care if it gets damaged, I got a few aerosol cans mixed up to fix up any scratches etc.

Once the motors in its staying in!

Little more work today

Bonnet painted

IMG_2335_zps2fc912ba.jpg
Quite a few imperfections....but compared to what it was, it will do just fine :)
IMG_2336_zpse41e7394.jpg
I rubbed back a guard and buffed, I was going to do more but my only buffing pad flew off the machine 1/2 way thru the first guard and into my asshole neighbours back garden!....I will not see that pad again, so I finished by hand, still came out alright for now.
IMG_2333_zpsc1fdf2b1.jpg
Also tidied up my now strengthened suspension arms.
IMG_2326_zps93b0e89d.jpg
IMG_2325_zpsaeb6983e.jpg
I went with an alloy look as I like it against the black underside of the car, the gearbox and engine will be the same colour......the engine crossmember will be chassis black.
  • Like 2

Brakes arrived today :)

297mm Holden Commodore, straight fit.

Should lock the fronts up no problem now haha, Commodore Left, Manta Right :)

IMG_2353_zps34d5e4bb.jpg

Calipers

Manta, Volvo (girlock), Commodore

IMG_2356_zpse16865b1.jpg

IMG_2357_zps94fd1fe2.jpg

IMG_2360_zps08507c08.jpg

And the last test, clearance to the rim

IMG_2365_zpsfc779ad1.jpg

Plenty.

Heavy barsteds though, and the Gemini bearing (the larger one) which is supplied with this kit does not fit, you need to use the Manta one, which I did for photo purposes here, will need to source some new ones before I fit up for real.

The smaller end bearing is the same.

Edited by GTREA
  • Like 2

Ironically it's the manta keeping me from billing!....it's taking all money ATM :(

Just a local solution to the problem Derek.

Being commodore based means pads are plentiful and cheap and the fact it's a direct fit no pissing about appealed to :)

Track width is increased 5mm per side so hopefully no issues there

Yeah screw it I paid the $30 for a year to upgrade my photobucket account

Edited by GTREA
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Slowly slowly catch the monkey
Cannot progress to much until I get my front cross member back from a mate whom is doing some welding on it
20140417_1738061_zps34f9853a.jpg
Painted the whole car, bar the doors as I ran out of paint.
20140417_173842_zps64e935a7.jpg
Bonnet did not work out to well few small reactions and a few small dents I never noticed previous, will sort out later.
20140420_125404_zpsddd414a1.jpg
Fitted up the fuel system including a Walbro GSL392 pump.
20140420_125122_zps774cf914.jpg
I went to fit the boot carpet that came with the car today......and well I could'nt!....please tell me this is not Manta Boot carpet and I am not indeed stupid! :)

20140420_191508_zps0fcc4f80.jpg

• Like 2

Good!, I thought after all the thinners I have inhaled lately it had effected my judgement :)
I went down and bought some plush pile black carpet, and will make my own ;)
In other news I got my engine crossmember back after a mate had cut down the Bump stop cones for me.
So I can now start reassembling the whole car.
Crossmember in and Brakes fitted
20140425_143611_zps8406229b.jpg
20140425_165519_zps237467b4.jpg
20140425_165540_zpsf027d181.jpg
I had to space the caliper out using an M12 washer, otherwise all went smoothly........thought id fly thru this but it still took me all day!
Finally the cars a roller again, so I push her out for a bit of a wash.
20140425_173309_zps09005ba2.jpg
20140425_175147_zps2ed8926e.jpg
Tomorrow I will get it rubbed back and buffed, then I think I best clean the garage!! :)
Edited by GTREA
  • Like 6

Is that the ring spanner you have been looking for? On the bottom bolt/nut F/N/S shock!!! 3rd pic. I went for a visit to Vauxhalls many years ago, 1960s, and watched the Wyverns on the production line, and that's what your photos remind me of, more modern, I know, but NEW! As I said before. You are doing a great job of that car.

Edited by Julian

Hahah no I think its just an optical illusion Julian, its just part of the upper wishbone ;)

Starting to put the rear half of the car back together

20140428_154244_zps34b882ef.jpg

Not to sure about the red tail light surrounds.....what is the significance of the red?....were'nt some models black?....I think I would prefer black.

20140429_152745_zpscb1b57f9.jpg

20140429_152807_zps40e9ce67.jpg

20140429_152856_zps9e87edf4.jpg

20140429_152929_zps5eebefdc.jpg

German Tyre pressure placard

c0e2014c-d33f-4e73-b998-e319547dfa67_zps

20140429_153644_zps4f32e7bc.jpg

• Like 2

This is looking a fantastic build. I even had my wife interested in your pictures and build the other night, and she is never normally!

Re the rear lights. The earlier B models like yours and mine had the red surrounds on the rear lights. It was the later models that had the black light surrounds.

It's going to come down to personal taste. It you want to keep it looking as authentic as you can, then keep the red. But if you want to bring it more up to date and modernise it as much as you can, try and obtain a black pair. The reds are rarer and not so easy to come by though!

Dave

• Like 1

Problem with the red surrounds is that they get sun bleached & fade.

Although i like original on a car i think the black surround rear lights would look nice against the sapphire blue paint.

I like the fact that in spite of the mods being done you are keeping the chrome bumpers & brightwork, so many people have tended to mod older two slot "B's" & tried to make them look like the later face lift "B's" by removing the chrome bumpers & side rubbing strips.

Have you decided on the interior yet, are you going original or a later interior ?

By the way awesome project & interesting to follow, keep the updates & pics coming.

• Like 1

Dave hit the nail on the head regarding the tail lights, the red is chalky and faded looking, especially noticeable against the new paint.

Going black would mean it would look 'fresher'

I love all the brightwork i wouldnt have it any other way ;)

I am just so thankful this car was 100% complete, all the bright work is in really good condition considering the cars age and the condition the car was in itself!

Except the wheel arch trims which are to far gone, I have some 10 mm self adhesive chrome trim coming to replace them.

The Berlinetta badge as well as some of the rubber bump strips are going to have to be held on with double sided adhesive tape, I got the best stuff I could find, but am still worried they may blow off!

Interior will be 100% original, it is in fantastic condition ;)

• Like 1