Sparkless 2.2

Shug

So, running on 4 cylinders like a bag o spanners. Sounds like timing but can't move distributor any further cos vacuum advance hits cylinder head. But when it was on carbs it wasnt that far round. Difference of about 20 degrees.

Actually, if you are feeling really brave you can set the number 1 position in the dizzy where ever you want, remove it and put a long flat screwdriver down into the oil pump and turn it, then put the dizzy back in then do the timing to number 1 lead to the new position, repeat until happy.

Didnt realise you could adjust the oil pump bit like that. Had to abandon car and head back to edinburgh so will have to try again next time.

Did have it running briefly sounding ok (had injectors cleaned) but petrol was leaking out injector and I thought pipe had split and took them off, but was just naff jubilee clip. After put them back on really wasnt too good.

• 2 weeks later...

Scrap that. Back to 3 cylinders and dying if you rev it, except now it doesn't rev over 2k again prob cos its only got 3 cylinders. It's definately sparking and those injector have been cleaned and tested. Is there some reason this bloody car does not want to work?

Scrap that. Back to 3 cylinders and dying if you rev it, except now it doesn't rev over 2k again prob cos its only got 3 cylinders. It's definately sparking and those injector have been cleaned and tested. Is there some reason this bloody car does not want to work?

Hi Shug, I understand your pain

I have a 2.4 with 2.2 injection and still don't have it running properly after nearly 2-1/2 years. She will start from cold every time, starts on 2/3 cylinders but quickly has 4-cylinders and will rev very nicely as well,l can leave her running for 30-sec's or 1/2 hour.

The problem is stop the engine and she will not restart till completely cold again so cant even take for an MOT :-(

I am watching your thread closely hoping your solutions will help me

Keep posting please

Guy

I keep telling people don't touch the AFM screw. Should never need moving and if it does only with a gas analyser plugged in.

Bright side the standard Manta GTE won't rev but will idle quite nicely with it disconnected. Don't know about the 2,2 system though.

I keep telling people don't touch the AFM screw. Should never need moving and if it does only with a gas analyser plugged in.

Bright side the standard Manta GTE won't rev but will idle quite nicely with it disconnected. Don't know about the 2,2 system though.

My favourite is when people take the plastic cover off the AFM and then move the spring inside. That takes some sorting out.

My favourite is when people take the plastic cover off the AFM and then move the spring inside. That takes some sorting out.

The old 5 notches thing. I wonder how many AFM got moved 5 notches every other owner back in the day lol

Not so bad if they took the time to at least mark original position

As Paulmanta has suggested........... Put it on a trailer and take it to the manta sanctuary........... It will work when Paul has finished with it.

I'd love to but its 727 miles each way, and I have no towbar. Would cost me near 700 quid in fuel, hire and towbar fitting.

Otherwise, I'd be halfway there by now!

Unless Paul, you have some more gates :lol:

Edited by Shug

Hi Shug, I understand your pain

I have a 2.4 with 2.2 injection and still don't have it running properly after nearly 2-1/2 years. She will start from cold every time, starts on 2/3 cylinders but quickly has 4-cylinders and will rev very nicely as well,l can leave her running for 30-sec's or 1/2 hour.

The problem is stop the engine and she will not restart till completely cold again so cant even take for an MOT :-(

I am watching your thread closely hoping your solutions will help me

Keep posting please

Guy

Hey Guy

When you stop the car can you turn it over by hand? Had a friend who had a cortina and it did exactly the same thing. When he stripped it down an oil way to the crank was blocked and it was ok when running but when you turned it off it would seize and not turn over until it had cooled enough for things to free up and would start ok again. Might not be the problem on yours but its worth a try as it took him ages to work out the problem. we use to pull in to the petrol station and he would fill it up while it was running or we would not get going again and have to sit there for about an hour until it cooled down again :-)

Andy

Hey Guy

When you stop the car can you turn it over by hand? Had a friend who had a cortina and it did exactly the same thing. When he stripped it down an oil way to the crank was blocked and it was ok when running but when you turned it off it would seize and not turn over until it had cooled enough for things to free up and would start ok again. Might not be the problem on yours but its worth a try as it took him ages to work out the problem. we use to pull in to the petrol station and he would fill it up while it was running or we would not get going again and have to sit there for about an hour until it cooled down again :-)

Andy

Hi Andy

No the engine is fine to turn over, the starter motor will crank it over, it just has no intention of re-starting

Guy

Hi Andy

No the engine is fine to turn over, the starter motor will crank it over, it just has no intention of re-starting

Guy

Hi Guy

Just a thought. I know what its like trying to sort these things out. Im putting injection on mine but not got as far as the trying to start her up stage yet :-)

Andy

Investigated a little today. Its definitely sparking. Fuel pump is running on cranking. Injectors are getting no signal when cranking. Every plug in loom is secure and all earthed. Mystifying why it suddenly completely stopped working.

Currently trying to figure out how to get it 724 miles south!

Found a trailer. Just need something to tow it now. My audi will never make it, Had a worrying lurch and buzzing noise coming from the already suspect wheel bearing. I think its on its last legs. Mind you, I have relay breakdown cover :lol: