New 1973 Manta Owner

smghd

Hello,

Recently bought a '73 1900 which I've fancied since I was about 15 and my mates mother took us out in her 1600... they had 5 which were never painted well but his dad was always maintained them and kept on top of repairs; unfortunately they are still sat down in St.Leonards-on-sea, East Sussex, rotting away, 3 outside and at least another 2 in the garages. Damn shame.

The wife is loving it, which always helps and have thoughts of keeping her a while. Just need to sort a few little things out and find some replacement seals for the boot etc. If anyone has used alternatives to the originals (I know most you can't get hold of now) then any pointers will be greatly appreciated. I'm more up on the workings and parts for the Hillman Imp as I have renovated mine and am building a 930cc lump with a rally tuned head... they sit well together as the Imp is bright yellow and the Manta orange.

Steve

Hi Steve, welcome to THE place for Manta's!

Where are you in the UK? darn sarf i presume mentioning St Leonards (incidently 'we' need to know about those five Manta's, if they are too far gone they will still provide rare trim etc, dont want the council to suddenly put them in the crusher)

As for the boot trim, try Woolies, IIRC they had a seal which was just about right for B Series Manta's, , here's a link -

http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/

I'm currently Hampshire based as I'm a aircraft techie in the RAF working at RAF Odiham (not far from Basingstoke).

The 5 Mantas I mentioned are in Charles Road, St. Leonards-on-sea and belong to William Blankley Snr. I'll drop a not through William'[s door next time I'm down home in Hastings (2nd weekend in August). I know there's definitely 3 there sitting outside, one with the remains of a cover on and the others open to the elements. He owns the garages he's parked in front of and I know there used to be at least 2 more inside them. I'll have a nose in August; taking Lola (as she's been christened by my daughters) down fi I haven't already broken her so hopefully William will come out of hiding (he's a strange and certified character).

Thanks for the link; I've used Woolies for the Imp and a mates Moggy. Found some trim on there which looks very similar to the rear window seal in its cross-section will have to measure up and compare. (pt # R36) . Any other suggestions will be gratefully received. So far the interior has styed dry, just the boot got a little wet in the down pour last week; we'll see how dry she stays in the storms we're being forecast (nothing here but a rumble so far)

Cant remember what particular seal from Woolies did the boot, i didn't buy it, we were at the NEC show many years ago and another member bought a length and we were comparing it to a Manta on the club stand, it was very close and certainly would do the job on a B Series Manta, not having had much contact with A Series Manta's don't know if the seal is the same ( but knowing Opels they never change anything unless they really have to ! )

NOt seen William in a while. Wasn't sure if he was a member but always was enthusiastic about them. Not seen any evidence of movement with his cars in a fair few years. His wife is running around in something modern and throw away