Selling A Car To Someone In Ireland

mantamia

hi.selling my gsi astra z20let to a guy in ireland..

what do i do with the log book? same as for uk or do i sign it then give all of log book to him?

thats what he says i should do so he can re-register it in ireland..also will i have to pay any duty or fees?cheers for any info

Edited by mantamia

Complete the document as normal and send it to the Dvla yourself. Don't give him anything other than the new keepers section.

Look after yourself mate the new keepers section and vin plates should provide info enough for him to do what he wants. This way you'll not end up being culpable for any speeding tickets or parking fines the new owner may get if he 'forgets' to register the car in his name.

If unsure, however soul destroying it may be, phone the dvla

thanks guys...well this lad can certainly talk fast!! lol i cant understand half the time...i never thought if hes comes with bloody euros this will hurt me on the cashing in at the bank or posty?? well if i just give him new keeper bit he should be ok surely? will i have to pay export fees? thanks

He sends you an electronic transfer or bank cheque in English pounds for whatever price you have agreed on, it is him that is at the mercy of the exchange rate.

No all export and transport fees are not your concern.

This is from the DVLA website

If you’re taking a UK-registered vehicle out of the country for 12 months or more (also known as permanent export) you need to:

1. Tell DVLA by filling in the V5C/4 ‘notification of permanent export’ section of your V5C registration certificate (logbook).

2. Send it to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BD.

3. Keep the rest of your V5C registration certificate - you might need this to register your vehicle abroad.

When I sold a car abroad I sent a covering letter as well saying I'd sold the car and giving the new keepers details.

Edited by 1900SR

I sold my a series to a chap in Ireland. All I did was first off insist on cash payment made in The queens finest Stirling. Make it clear you will not accept euros!

Complete log book as normal and send to dvla yourself as normal. Dvla will post him the bits he needs to re register later.

Simples, don't let him talk you into any other way!!

ok cheers for the info...he just seems as tho he can talk the spots of a dalmatian lol.

i know damn well when he comes on monday he will demand the whole reg document and have me send the blue export bit to swansea?

think thats what he said i have to do..but the blue bit means i,m exporting it? bloody ell more hassle than its worth this.this has got speeding--unpaid tax fines wrote all over it :unsure:

You do just send off the export bit. When I sold my Scirocco to someone in Hong Kong I spoke to DVLA and that's what they told me to do, with the covering letter to show I'd sold it. He will then use the rest of the V5 to get the car into Ireland and registered.

If he is coming personally to pick up the car, then Cash in Pounds.

Have the V5 ready for him,

All he needs to do is sign the Green section 8 as the new keeper.

and Fill out and KEEP the green section 10 'New Keepers details'

All You fill out is green section 6 and the Blue section 11 Notification of permanent export

Note: All he takes with him is section 10 that is all he needs

You post off section 1-8 to the DVLA

Its all outlined in section 12 ;)

Edited by GTREA

If you do a google search for INS160 that's the booklet from the DVLA that explains what you need to do. Page 8 covers selling to someone with a none GB address, looks like we're all wrong. I think if it's Northern Ireland though you treat it as a normal sale.

From DVLA's leaflet - INS160:

What to do if you are selling your vehicle privately to someone that does not have a GB address

You should fill in sections 6 and 10 with the new keeper’s name and address. Both you and the new keeper (buyer) must sign and date the declaration in section 8. Give the whole V5C to the new keeper to aid registration abroad.

You should then send a signed letter to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AG giving the vehicle’s registration number, the make and model of the vehicle, the date of sale or transfer, and the name and address of the new keeper.

• 3 weeks later...

Most of the info given in this thread has been wrong. If selling a car to Ireland, north or south the whole v5 is needed. North is still regarded as an export for registration purposes as its run by DVLNI here. First car I bought in England I just got the new keepers bit and had a 4 month wait on the logbook, I couldnt tax it or anything here until Igot the V5C (NI). So put simply, you just fill in the export bit and send to swansea, this then removes your responsibility of the car. When I sell a car to the south I also include a v7 form whith ghe new keepers details on it, its probably binned, but at least I sentbit in!