C20Xe Motronic 2.8 - Ecu Pinout, Diagnose And Check Engine

ASCONA-HOLIC

Hi to all! One of my ascona's is fitted with C20XE M2.8 and I am thinking of connecting a diagnosis plug and a check engine lamp. I have the pinout of the ECU (from autodata) but I need to know how I should connect the wires for the diagnosis plug. As I know they are 4 wires from ECU for the diagnosis, but how should they be connected in order to make a diagnosis with a 10-pin plug (the plug of the diagnostic system)? And, how can I connect a check engine lamp? Thanks!

With XE's i normally connect an engine warning lamp and also a switch to put it into diagnostic mode whenever i want.

You take pin 22 from ecu Brown/Blue and connect to a lamp, the other side of the lamp goes to an ignition live

This will give you the normal engine warning lamp functions. It will light when the ignition is on and go out when the engine runs.

It will also light if there is a stored error code.

Then you connect pin 13 Brown/Yellow to a switch and the other side to earth. So you can just flick the switch when you want to.

Don't use an LED warning lamp as this can cause the lamp to stay slightly lit all the time.

With XE's i normally connect an engine warning lamp and also a switch to put it into diagnostic mode whenever i want.

You take pin 22 from ecu Brown/Blue and connect to a lamp, the other side of the lamp goes to an ignition live

This will give you the normal engine warning lamp functions. It will light when the ignition is on and go out when the engine runs.

Then you connect pin 13 Brown/Yellow to a switch and the other side to earth. So you can just flick the switch when you want to.

Don't use an LED warning lamp as this can cause the lamp to stay slightly lit all the time.

Thank you very much mantasme for your reply. I understand what you say for the engine warning lamp, however it does not need an earth?

Concerning the diagnosis, I did not understand. What I want to do is to connect a plug the ECU wiring in order to be able to connect a laptop to make an engine diagnosis.

The engine warning lamp earths trough the ecu, and this is what it switches internally to light the lamp.

The 20XE engines are not capable of being plugged into a laptop as they are not OBD2 compatible.

What they do is when put into diagnostic mode they flash the engine warning lamp in pulses to show what error code is stored

I have a GM wiring diagram for Calibra that covers motronic 2.5 (should be the same for 2.8) somewhere. Ill try and scan it for you.

From what i can see thew connections to the diagnostic plug are as follows

Pin A - ECU pin 55 (connected to pin G when diagnostic link not being used)

Pin B - ECU pin 13

Pin E - ECU tell tale lamp (ecu pin 22)

Pin G - Earth (connected to pin A when diagnostic link not being used)

The only pin I'm not sure of is pin F. I found a hand written note saying it is a fused permanent live but I cant confirm this without spending some time going through the schematic diagrams in detail.

Hope this helps

Edited by 16vGraham

The engine warning lamp earths trough the ecu, and this is what it switches internally to light the lamp.

The 20XE engines are not capable of being plugged into a laptop as they are not OBD2 compatible.

What they do is when put into diagnostic mode they flash the engine warning lamp in pulses to show what error code is stored

Thanks again mantasme. I am going to connect a warning lamp. What I have done so far is to perform a diagnosis through analog-parallel mode, however the software did not give the choice for such a diagnosis for M2.8, but only for M2.5 in C20XE engine. However, C25XE has also ECU M2.8...I will make some new tries and will let you know the results.

I have seen in Astra F GSI to perform an auto-diagnosis so I suppose that there is such an opportunity.

I have a GM wiring diagram for Calibra that covers motronic 2.5 (should be the same for 2.8) somewhere. Ill try and scan it for you.

From what i can see thew connections to the diagnostic plug are as follows

Pin A - ECU pin 55 (connected to pin G when diagnostic link not being used)

Pin B - ECU pin 13

Pin E - ECU tell tale lamp (ecu pin 22)

Pin G - Earth (connected to pin A when diagnostic link not being used)

The only pin I'm not sure of is pin F. I found a hand written note saying it is a fused permanent live but I cant confirm this without spending some time going through the schematic diagrams in detail.

Hope this helps

Thank you very much 16vGraham. This definitely helps a lot. I would be grateful if you could confirm the exact connections! Thank you very much m8!

• 3 years later...

Hi to all, after long! I am coming back to this topic as I have connected finally a 16-pin OBD plug (using a plug from Vectra) to my C20XE M2.8 Ascona B. I made the following connections:

ECU pin 55 to plug pin 7

ECU pin 13 to plug pin 6

Earth to plug pins 4&5

+12V to plug pin 16

With these connections it seems to work properly, I can read both ECU errors and data with two different diagnostic software. However, I have recently seen in the internet that ECU pin 13 should be connected to plug pin 15.

Has anyone made a similar connection?

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, mantadoc said:

You can build an ALDL interface but it gives little more than flash codes with the free software available

Many thanks mantadoc. I have already some software to read the 16-pin plug (TEXA, autocom, etc.), so I prefer it from the flash codes. I just wanted to confirm that the connections between ECU pins and 16-pin plug are correct.

ECU pin 55 to plug pin 7

ECU pin 13 to plug pin 6

Earth to plug pins 4&5

+12V to plug pin 16

With these connections it seems to work properly, I can read both ECU errors and data with two different diagnostic software. However, I have recently seen in the internet that ECU pin 13 should be connected to plug pin 15.

• 1 month later...

Good afternoon to everyone! Some latest developments on my Ascona B C20XE M2.8! After the 16-pin OBD2 plug, I now fitted also o MIL (Malfunction Indication Lamp) from ECU pin 22. As I wrote above, I used a 16-pin plug from Vectra B. I will post some pictures also!

• 2 years later...
On 04/08/2013 at 16:06, mantasrme said:

I know this is an old comment but I want to do the same with my c20xe on coil pk

the brown/blue wire pin 22

brown/yellow wire pin 13 are the both found in these 2 plugs in the picture 

A34E8250-05F0-4A6E-BC56-A1CA8F6F285C.png