Turbo Manta Replica

Maddog

Hello, i have an 1971 opel manta A sr and i want to make a turbo manta replica, my wallet is not full so i was wondering if you guys have some ideas for the project becose i want to avoid also major surgery on the engine... i read in some sites about it and some say that i need lower compression pistons special head gaskets and all sorts of stuff in others i read that a thicker headgasket is enought..well the turbo doesnt fit even adapting the manifold at least i dont see it fitting lol i saw a guy that did a shorter version of it so maybe i will do the same. the rest is up to you cuz i dont know much about it as i should.

the main idea was to use a 2.2 or 2.4 cih but these engines in portugal are very rare even from omegas or fronteras. maybe in a few years. but like i said i dont have that much money at the moment and i want to speed the process cuz i will marry next year and i want my manta to be ready to the big moment so any ideas i apreciate. thank you very much.

Diogo Lourenço

soon i will post some pictures :)

on opel forum USA rallybob makes an exhaust manifold for a turbo to be fitted. pistons out of a 2.0n engine are lower compression if I remember correctly so a set of these could do the task. or just have your pistons machined with a chamber in the top to lower compression. use a cometic gasket and should have no worries.

Early CIH engines had a lower compression ratio, (larger combustion chamber), when the compression ratio was raised the engine gained the 'S' suffix, one of these early heads could used with a 'light pressure' turbo system.

thanx but ive been searching and i dont find other engines only 1.6 or 1.9 are available and expencive people want to get rich by force...lol :s well maybe if i take my pistons to get worked out to lower, and add that fancy gasket lol in risse motors they have, anyone know the thickness that i should buy to this project? thanx :)

another question what is the best turbo for the project? i will be happy if it gets until 200hp for me is more then enought :P any other idea for the project is welcome i like to see all available points of view to make the best choice.

:P

If you are now thinking of changing the engine, then your options are endless. If you are happy with 200 BHP the you would get very close with the 16v engine (20XE)or you could go V6 (C25XE or C30XE) or if you want turbo why not use the 20LET.

well ive been searching and i cant figure it out for a fact what compression ratio my manta has..i saw in some sites 9.5:1 others 9.0:1 then for the turbo manta also saw 7.8:1 and 7.6:1 i think is 9.0:1 and i have to lower it to 7.6:1 but if anyone can confirm its better, i see gaskets until 2mm that is enought forlowering but i dont find wich diameter..it has 98 96 93 and probably more..wich one? the 9mm ones only have with 98...i dunno if all fits..i want to be sure before buying tho... if anyone can help i apreciate it thank you