White Cavalier Coupe OJC 368 S

Does anyone know this car (it could be OJC or DJC)? It's apparently got a quite well modified CIH engine, twin Dellortos, 5 speed box, GT/E Recaros etc.

Believed to be in the Solihull or Knowle area near Birmingham.

Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Joe.

"I'll light it dear; This car steers itself!"

Hi Joe, OJC 368S is listed on the myrac site as a white cavalier GLS Coupe, so guess that's the reg. 8 former keepers, last change of owner 10th March this year.

1973 A series - Thanks for the trophy!

1979 SRB Combi Coupe - waiting on me finding a small fortune.

omoc 5660

Thanks Steve. I've seen it for sale at a dealer and I wondered if it had been owned by one of 'us'. If it changed hands in March, chances are he's had it in for quite some time. That's very useful to know!

Cheers,

Joe.

That's also interesting. The dealer wants £1750 for it so that probably ties up.

So, should I be interested in having a look at it?

Cheers,

Joe.

It's got to be worth a look Joe, looks tidy in the pics, and not a million miles from you. At least you know what you're looking for, and I'm sure the dealer will have room to move once you've pointed out the car's faults. Not sure I like the GTE alloys on it though.

Oh, and if it's no good, you could always buy the Capri 2.8i he's got [:0]

omoc 5660

I may give him a ring tomorrow but my only concern is (gulp) - it's a Cavalier not a Manta. I've got all the bits I'd need to convert it to something more Manta-like but then I'd start having twinges of guilt about spoiling an original car.... It's a good job I'm not indecisive. Am I?

And I'll bet the chassis rails are rotten too!

Still, it's only about 40 miles away so it is tempting. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,

Joe.

I'm going to have a look tomorrow. I don't care if it's rubbish now either as the dealer has a classic sense of humour. He had to call me back to confirm he was available to see me and when I said "Hello, Paveway Plumbing" he said "A plumber? I'm sorry there's a mis-print, it's £3000."

Well it made me laugh anyway.

I hope he was joking.

Full report to follow (perhaps).

Cheers,

Joe.

Hi Joe

Hope the car turns out all to be a good one. And as for a used car salesman making jokes about plumbers, well, pots and kettles spring to mind.

omoc 5660

Joe, sod the originality, make it into a manta!!!

Sorry to be as subtle as usual but I just don't like the smooth Cavalier front end! (sorry to upset Cavalier owners)

Also, look at the orange B on ebay, is that someone's on here? It looks pretty tidy in the photos, though as usual it's hard to tell, but to fail an mot with no mention of rust is a good start!!!

OMOC - 5716

It's the orange one that's been in the classifieds on here for a few weeks Nat. I decided to become interested in it just too late to stop the owner putting it on Ebay.

As for the Cavalier Coupe, I can't tell if it's absolutely brilliant or somewhat iffy. It was a cool morning and the condensation on it made it impossible to tell what the body was like, although it's clearly very straight.

The engine started very easily from cold and ticked over nicely (on twin 45s). It's had loads of work done on it with recent receipts for the big valve head etc (the old head is in the boot). The servo has been moved forward to clear the carbs and the linkage is a really well done bit of work.

Unfortunately, it had a poorly masked re-spray in Old English White in June (it was a blue car) and lots of shiny black underseal everywhere too, which means there's no way of telling if it's really as solid as it looks.

The chassis rail on the driver's side has been plated (the best job I've ever seen on one) but I did notice some filler under the dashboard to the right of the throttle cable and the n/s A post has been worked on. As it's got wheelarch liners in (very neatly done), it's not possible to see the state of the inner wings and A posts properly.

The interior is a bit tatty, with grey GT/E Recaros clashing with the scruffy blue '70s Cavalier door trims and dash. It has an MOT until June 2005.

I arranged to go and have a look at it again tomorrow with another Manta owning friend as I couldn't decide if it was worth making an offer this morning. However I've since decided it's too risky simply because you just can't see if it's all a bodge or really as good as it looks in this weather. I've let the dealer know. He seems a really decent chap, not at all pushy and very laid back.

That's all folks.

Cheers,

Joe.