Scottish I200

spike

Hi guys,I've just started a rebuild on an i200 i bought at the new year.I've been into mantas for years but mostly rally cars so i'm learning all the rights and wrongs of putting the car the way it should be.I'm very suprised how good it is but needs the usual swan neck/chassis repairs,jacking points and sills.Whats the best options for sourcing chassis legs? I'm intending getting sills from Retro Power as they look ok.Although most of the car is here i still need alot of wee bits,hopefully callum at opel spares north west can help with those.I'm sure some of you will know the car (on ebay at christmas) so i'd like to know is history.I collected the car from leicester but the interior and trim was with Callum but stupidly i forgot to pick up the green rear screen! Anyway any advise on what is specific to the i200 would be great,i know about the sticker on the dizzy,vented discs,green glass.I'll try to put some photos up now and again if i can work out how.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 1

Welcome Ian,

As brianm says Rab Crow would be a good guy to get in contact with, he is in Scotland, has a mint i200.

anything from Retropower is top quality, I have had panels sent over and other stuff from them, the best in the game.

chassis legs are a challenge, only one way to do them and that's to take them off and rebuild, plenty of info on here on that subject.

look forward to hearing more.

Derek

Thanks guys,i'm based in Hawick in the borders.As i said the car is very good mostly,apart from the chassis leg the only bad point is the poorly done rhd conversion thats gonna take some tidying up.The cars on the spit and the fun task of removing underseal,waxoil,dead spiders etc has started.I'll need to get a good look at Rabs car someday,it looks really good.One annoying thing about the project is the fact i binned loads of manta bits years ago thinking i would never need them...i could do with them now though.

Has anyone got Callum's phone number,i'm having trouble reaching him on the number i have.

Thanks again

Hi spike

welcome to the forum, lots of good info and contacts to help with the build. I've heard about the car from you dad, if you make a list of parts req i'll see what I have.

your dads got my phone number or you cam message me.

cheers allan

Put some piccies up to show us your progress, really interested to see a rare model being restored.

Also, I used industrial paint stripper Ardrox 204 to get the underside clean. You have to blow torch heat the under seal off the use two coats of stripper working in with a wire brush (observe relevant health and safety guidelines - this stuff is AGGRESSIVE and will take your face off if it got the chance)

Upside is that it will be the most gentle and effective way to strip leaving a perfect place to start, and it's comparatively cheap. Downside it it takes effing ages and it is dreadful and soul destroying work. It all depends on your tolerance threshold!!

Yeah i've got most of it stripped(well my old man has) but its getting the wee bits cleaned up thats worst.I have some paint stripper coming but was a bit worried about it getting into seams and not being flushed out properly.I suppose blasting would have been the answer but theres nobody local that can do it.

Rabs the I200 man but I know spoilers are different to the standard exclusive ones, tailpipe, I think rear quarter windows were non opening?non sunroof, different steering wheel. I thought I200's had bronze glass. As for the car, I know it was always looked after and is running with its original engine, the car was dry stored and was owned by a enthusiast who who had this car dry stores for at least 10 years, then it was sold due to him needing space and moving premises. So it was sold to the last owner Chris and work began. But life delt a huge blow and our mate (who was restoring it for Chris) passed away last year so the car was kind of left which is how I am guessing you bought it condition wise.

Yeah the cars pretty much as you describe Danny,all very original.I'm well happy with what i've found so far its amazing for a 30 year old car.I managed to get hold of Callum,hopefully he can get the missing bits sorted out.I,ve been following your rebuild Craig.I remember having an old Rally Sport magazine with Indris car features,must have been about 1996ish.My rally car belonged to Donald Smith at Blackadder Bank,i also got the ascona 400 shell with it.Unfortunately all my rims are five stud but i'm not sure i could part with them anyway,i might actually get the rally car finished one day!

Spike

I got the rallysport mag with the car spike it is circa 96. It's worth keeping hold of the wheels if you've still got the rallycar there bad to come by. Pics of both cars would be nice and the ascona as it's not seen the light of day for a while! Does or did your dad work for Martin Elsdon?

Never worked for him,just helped him out.I used to codrive for Martin a few years ago.i'll get some pics up soon hopefully.

I've now got the nosecone off the car today,its been replaced at some point but its never been lined up right.

Paul Brenneker Overview

The i200 was produced from 1985 to 1986 and was launched as a limited edition Group B FISA homologated model by Opel tuning and styling house, Irmscher. It was based around the GT/E coupe but featured many subtle changes. Manta 400 Rally car quad Halogen headlamps and a deep boot spoiler were added along with many mechanical upgrades. The standard package included a high lift cam, solid lifters, uprated valve springs and re-mapped distributor to increase power output by some 15 bhp. UK specification cars were generally fitted with a gas flowed cylinder head which gave the i200 136 bhp. Many other options were available such as a big valve head and Limited Slip Differential. As the car was usually built to order, the specification was dictated by how much could be spent !

A new cloth trim was introduced, with the Recaro seats being decorated in black 'Opel Sport' cloth. This is the biggest clue as to the whether the car is original. Many 'look alike' models appeared but did not feature the mechanical modifications. A 'no cost option' was the fitment of a Rothmans decal set, to celebrate their sponsorship of the Dealer Opel team. As the i200 was fitted with Quad Headlamps from new, the headlamp wash wipe was not applicable and as such the front airdam was not fitted with washer jets. The chassis build plate should not feature the model code for the GT/E, which surprisingly was XR3.

The i200 was only in production for 2 years and only sold in small numbers from the UK Irmscher franchise, Steve Thompson Cars Ltd, of Walsall. It is believed that 30-35 i200's were built, all of which were Coupe's although there are rumours that a Hatchback version exists. Less than 20 examples survive making this a rare and collectable edition.

Identifying Features

• 1979CC Fuel Injected engine.
  • High Lift Cam with Solid Lifters
  • Sports Distributor
  • Recaro seats with Opel Sport Cloth Trim
  • Irmscher Leather steering wheel (option)
  • i200 Graphics
  • Rothmans Sport Striping Kit
  • Ronal alloy wheels
  • Four Halogen Headlamps
  • Manta 400 rear spoiler
  • Green tinted glass
  • Opening rear quarter windows
  • Sill Extensions in body colour
  • Polar White or Astro Silver paint
  • Stainless Steel Sports Exhaust
  • cheers Geoff
  • Like 1