Jerky At Low Revs

Daveyboy20

Hi guys - still putting 50 miles a day on my very low mk1 Cavalier.. Broke down he other day as the condensor was goosed - only 3 months old! Cheap Ebay rubbish! Apart from that and the fact it's so low I now need to re underseal most of the chassis it's been very good. I just wanted to try and work out what this slight niggle is...

At low revs/light throttle it is a bit jerky. 2nd gear feels a bit 'rough' too. The engine is a 1.6 with a solex carb with electronic auto choke. If I floor it it's power delivery is smooth, but light throttle cruising (which is where this car really belongs!) is not that enjoyable. I was thinking vac leak but spraying Lynx around the carb a manifold appears to not affect the idle at all so I'm wondering if there is a common problem with these carbs that causes such issues? Vac advance is working, plugs, air filter, coil, leads, dizzy cap, rotor arm, points and condensor all new. Fuel cleaner has been through the system, it doesn't smoke, starts well and always ways has lead additive in. Cheers guys

I just can't get the spray to make the idle raise! If it's a vac leak it's doing a bloody good job of hiding!

Can't tell if it's drive train or engine, it's really low so I'd imagine the prop is at a funny angle but surely if it was drivetrain, booting it would make it worse? Or would it be like a snaking caravan and smooth out?! :)

i had issues similar to this, i had a vac leak at the manifold, unplugged factory opening on the manifold caused the issue. however i would bin the points / condenser and get an accuspark kit for £30 my points were a pain in the ass and caused my car to kangaroo at low revs. electronic points were the best thing i bought made the car run so much smoother.

kenny

Unplugged opening? Where abouts was it? I crawled underneath last night and found the gearbox mount was split so that will be exaggerating the missfire I'd imagine. It's definately also got an engine miss at low revs, I just need to find that vac leak!

not an air leak on the throttle spindle ? check it for play . ht leads can play up at low revs check it in the dark for spark leaks .

id would also fit an electronic thing instead of points , if your doing 50 miles a day it will pay for its self in saved fuel in a few months .