Mk1 Cav 2Door

shooie811

Heres one to consider then . . . LOU848P is the oldest known surviving Cavalier in the world . . . and it was registered on 14/6/76 . . . the car you have was registered on the 19/2/76 . . . so thats the oldest survivor there!!

I know LOU848P well, it belongs to my Friend Richard Watt, leading light in the Cavalier and Chevette Club, whilst 'LOU' was registered in 1976 it was built sometime in september 1975 and remained un-registered because it was used for promotion purposes, appearing at the motor show and in Cavalier brouchers published in the autum of 1975.

Though this Cavalier is not the oldest survivour it is never the less a very rare car so it would be great to see it up and running, either restored, rat look, original condition or reversablely modified.

As it is a very early example, definitely restore to as close to original as possible.

With the rolling tax exemption coming along, it would nice to find a source to link VIN to build date for all of us.

I am afraid you are delving into a can of worms with trying to identify the build date of your car, unfortunately Vauxhall's at Luton disposed of a great deal of thier records thus precise build dates are next to impossible to assertain.

Another friend, Simon Downs, Stoneymanta on here, owner of the Commy A Coupe and part restored Manta GTE, bought an early low milage MK 3 Cavalier as something inexpensive and more interesting than a current car drive around in, it was then pointed out to him it was in an odd colour which turned out to be Parchment ( pale, very light brown/cream ) this colour was used on the fleet of press cars. the people at the Vauxhall Heritage center then pointed out the Chassis number ended in four zero's, probable meaning the first one off the production line, fustratingly absolute proof of this Car being the first Cavalier MK 3 made can't be attained as the records no longer exsist.

Also be carefull of date stamps, Vauxhall/Opel had a habit of either batch producing panels or over producing them and having to stock pile them for a while, some cars have upto four months difference between the first and last panel date stamps ( when i refurbished my 1984 hatch fuel tank it had a 1982 date stamp ! ) there is even a rumour that the dates stamped where sometimes different to when they where actually pressed. i.e. when they thought the panels would be used/match up with some older stock panels.

I have an early Manta ( yet another one of my vast stock... !) that has October 1975 date stamps, it is said they did press a large number of panels just prior to production starting so as they could qiickly assemble and 'get the cars out there' but certianly for Manta's at least any initial stock of panels had been used up in a month, if production of two door Cavaliers was slow then a panel stock could have lasted a long time on the other had if they used panels at the same rate as Manta's then the 09/75 date stamp means it is a very early Cavalier.

i Think you need to talk to my Friend Richard Watt, owner of 'LOU' and Cavalier and Chevette Club leading light,though he probably wont be able to give the deffinative answer he very likely knows more about MK 1 Cavalier history than anyone else in the country, contact him at this address -

richard.cavalierandchevetteclub@virginmedia.com

• 1 month later...

Well iv decided its goin on the road as is going to hopefully get it mot it the next couple of weeks null_zpsb28f2c15.jpg picked up a gte engine and box to fire into to it null_zps7806b1b1.jpg

null_zps987ceeb0.jpg the rear quarter and boot lid straightened out quite well and new rear screen fitted null_zps1bdb9d05.jpglights and badge fitted null_zpsb56c5238.jpg

• Like 3

get it entered at Billing!, shake it up a little, something about this, a proper head turner,

if that bombed past me on a road, it would be a wooooooo WTF moment.

think the key is to have nice wee touches, like ur wheels (first class!) and bits & pieces of trim, detailed!

seen one (rat car) lacquered, all except, bonnet, roof and bootlid. When I say lacquered, it was like a mirror with rust underneath.

Guy did it himself, he said about ten coats, and it didn't matter if it run as it was sanded between coats.

top coat was cut and polished to mirror standards.)alternatively he was lookin a new bonnet airbrushed to make it look rusty

man how things have changed!

Either way, great car, enjoy! (don't restore just now!) But I think you gonna need that finger trap fixed on ur quarter!

I cant wait to get it on the road it looks nuts iv ordered bits an pieces to add to it just waiting on the postman then mot next week hopefully .whens is billing? Was thinking of going havnt been yet. was thinking of hitting it with laquer a heard u can buy a matt finish dont if its true but that would be ideal if it is

more pics needed as you fit your new bits. and to see how car progresses. Im now jealous of a rusty car!

I find cars like this far more interesting, rather than trailer/garage queens of cheque books status.

experiment with matt finish lacquer, but you need depth to cover the surface of the rust, before wetting and drying. then more coats to get depth and a smooth finish. Top coat can be cut and polished. Be good to see differences between matt and gloss finish. Car I seen is still undercovers, no photos etc, but the owner did show depth of lacquer ten coats deep, amazing mirror smooth finish, with contrast of non lacquered bonnet roof and bootlid.

Best of all, its gonna freak people out! 350bhp and very well built, actually over built, underneath of this car has had three yrs of hard graft. All two pack black. every new part fitted. over engineered, most people are gonna think, what a Siht heap! until it takes off like its possessed. Its gonna be quite embarrassing when it outruns Subaru, M3s etc whilst draggin its ass on the floor!

Now go forth to billing and cleanup!!

• Like 1

Another update old rusty dented tank null_zps619fd189.jpg swaped new one null_zps25fe9fd3.jpg

Oldnull_zps540669ec.jpgnewnull_zps78dd8caa.jpgengine painted ready to go in still got rocker cover to paint null_zps727eb489.jpghome made cherry bomb off the my blue cav also fittednull_zpsd11e1c20.jpgnull_zpscc1af058.jpgnull_zps9fce6e93.jpgnull_zps72f8836d.jpgengine and 5 speed box fittedhopefully fire it up tomorrow

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well the car is all road legal now the looks u get in it are priceless lol null_zps41cad113.jpgnull_zpsee86a1db.jpgnull_zps7b91202d.jpg was driving great until the hardyspicer in the 5speed prop i had lying in ma garage broke up i could cry was having great fun aswell lol null_zps9db9a38b.jpg

• Like 3