Cavalier Sports Hatch

Snowy

Here is the car as it was bought last weekend...

IMAG0137_zpsbfdc1f16.jpg

After giving it a good look over I'm now not certain what to do with it. Here is a list of work required;

1. New front panel required, possibly the entire nose cone
  2. New inner wings required - There is no mounting rail left and there is corrosion in the front and rear seams
  3. The bulkhead needs previous repairs, done badly, rectified
  4. New jacking points
  5. Floor welding above the jacking points
  6. Inner sill repairs
  7. Rear inner sills none existent
  8. Rear outer sills none existent - I get the feeling that when I pull the trim off the whole sill might need replacing both sides
  9. Both front wings replacing
  10. Both doors replacing and the hinges welding and reaming
  11. Rear arches replacing
  12. Lower rear quarters need replacing
  13. Lower rear panel needs replacing
  14. The front chassis rails need work
  15. The rear spring mounts on the chassis need replacing/repairing
  16. The interior needs re trimming or a better condition one sourcing
  17. A new or re-cored radiator for a 2L. Unless the cavaliers got a 1600 rad on the 2000??None of my other cavaliers had the smaller rad??
  18. A new or refurbished carburettor
  19. New rear springs
  20. Repair or replacement hatch

So is this car worth the work, there is more required than I originally thought? What do people think?

I think I need to find some motivation....

Thanks

Edited by Snowy

Hi snowy, where have you been hiding? Not seen you on here for a long time.

Depends what you mean by worth it??

If its for the love then yes, for the money then no!!

but you know that.

Get it sorted and enjoy.

Kev

• Like 1

Sounds like you have your hands full

I have some spares as selling a sportshatch on ebay away to the crusher if not sold by next weekend.

If you need any bits selling cheap and can post.

Andy

Are any of the panels I have mentioned any good, such as the hatch, doors, front panel etc

Thanks

Will take pictures tomorrow when im over there.

Think the hatch and doors are good ,doors have some rot beside the inner latch area but sound every where else

No front panel removed before I bought it.

Andy

thanks

Here is the car as it was bought last weekend...

IMAG0137_zpsbfdc1f16.jpg

After giving it a good look over I'm now not certain what to do with it. Here is a list of work required;

• New front panel required, possibly the entire nose cone
  • New inner wings required - There is no mounting rail left and there is corrosion in the front and rear seams
  • The bulkhead needs previous repairs, done badly, rectified
  • New jacking points
  • Floor welding above the jacking points
  • Inner sill repairs
  • Rear inner sills none existent
  • Rear outer sills none existent - I get the feeling that when I pull the trim off the whole sill might need replacing both sides
  • Both front wings replacing
  • Both doors replacing and the hinges welding and reaming
  • Rear arches replacing
  • Lower rear quarters need replacing
  • Lower rear panel needs replacing
  • The front chassis rails need work
  • The rear spring mounts on the chassis need replacing/repairing
  • The interior needs re trimming or a better condition one sourcing
  • A new or re-cored radiator for a 2L. Unless the cavaliers got a 1600 rad on the 2000??None of my other cavaliers had the smaller rad??
  • A new or refurbished carburettor
  • New rear springs
  • Repair or replacement hatch
So is this car worth the work, there is more required than I originally thought? What do people think?

I think I need to find some motivation....

Thanks

I didn't realise it needed that much work. What was your intentions for the car, as in project time review?

I have been in a similar situation to you and still suffer with teething problems, but my car has never been on the sale list due to my affection for the car.

Being an OMOC member I know there are people out there that will help you, I know it's not right but there will be a 1.8 Manta that will be broken for it's engine parts and the rest will go to waste unless some one like yourself gets to it for all the bits you require.

Are you thinking of going down the 2.0litre on this thread http://forums.mantaclub.org/topic/35846-engine-and-box/ will be a good choice.

Good luck with the project and don't give up to early.

Well my first panels arrived from Opel Parts Greece.

Next week when I'm I will be collecting a few more from Rayman and Mantasrme.

But the turn around and price from OPG was hard to beat. 425 euro for two genuine inner wings and rear panel delivered in less than six days...

IMAG0142_zpsb7efbe4e.jpg

IMAG0141_zps18e8cd4d.jpg

IMAG0139_zpsf5a91c35.jpg

Once the scaffold comes down from around the house, roof being done, work will start on the hatch...

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

These just arrived from Germany. A new inner and outer five speed gearbox gaiter.

IMAG0019_zps28457834.jpg

I have decided that this car needs so much work I'm not going to bother keeping it original. I'm going to have to replace so much, including the interior I don't think it is practical.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I think after getting this car up on stands today and having a real good look this car may only be fit for scrap!

The only panel on this car that does not need major work is the roof. Very disappointing when the description stated;

V reg car, no tax or mot. needs welding NS chassis rail and rear of each sill couple and of small patches. Mechanically perfect and all other work done for the mot. Engine sweet with brand new camshaft.

The seats are worn out, the carpet rotten from being wet for so long. door cards wet and warped....

It seems the way to fix cars is just to spray thick layers of under seal to hide the patches that have been welded over the patches....

The last hatch I scrapped was in better condition!

I suppose this is what you get for trusting a description and not going to view the car.

So if anyone has a good hatch shell please get in touch. This was going to be a wedding car for next march.

Sorry for the rant but I'm a little annoyed!!

Hi snowy sorry to read that it's not as good as you thought I have a hatch and a coupe I think we all must reach the point when we wonder what the point is and frustration clouds our thoughts. My coupes a bit of a rotter I have lost count of the times I have walked away from it but I guess that's manta sorry cavalier ownership for you .

• Like 1

Hi snowy sorry to read that it's not as good as you thought I have a hatch and a coupe I think we all must reach the point when we wonder what the point is and frustration clouds our thoughts. My coupes a bit of a rotter I have lost count of the times I have walked away from it but I guess that's manta sorry cavalier ownership for you .

I do know what you mean. But this car was supposed to require a small amount of work.

But thanks for the support!!! :)

• Like 1

I know this car and did some work on it. Yes it needs sill and chassis rail work... There is always a bit more than first though when you strip a car and start poking with a screwdriver. It was sold with no MOT and needing work and as you stated when it was delivered you were happy with it.

Its a shame it needs quite so much doing but patches and repairs are the norm if its a daily drive, any old car will need serious work if its a good restoration you are after even ones that look good to start with.

I have known the seller of this for a long time and have bought cars from him myself with no problem, I have always found him to be a fair honest Cavalier enthisiast.

Edited by Mick

I know this car and did some work on it. Yes it needs sill and chassis rail work... There is always a bit more than first though when you strip a car and start poking with a screwdriver. It was sold with no MOT and needing work and as you stated when it was delivered you were happy with it.

Its a shame it needs quite so much doing but patches and repairs are the norm if its a daily drive, any old car will need serious work if its a good restoration you are after even ones that look good to start with.

I have known the seller of this for a long time and have bought cars from him myself with no problem, I have always found him to be a fair honest Cavalier enthisiast.

Sorry, read the add then read the work needed.

Even better wait a week and you'll see the pictures.

The fact I removed the front valance, by accident I might add, by pulling on it says a lot.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, Snowy you are a crazy mutha to have a go at that.

When I took the carpets up on mine & saw it needed a 6"-8" plate over the jacking point I nearly wept, seeing that would have had me banging my head in a bin.

Brave stuff indeed, but it looks like a money pit, be careful.

But good luck... :thumbup:thumbup

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly got the car down to a rolling shell now. But since I've ordered some new chassis rails from Eckhard I need to remove the from subframe.

Typically of a manta the lower subframe to chassis rail bolts did not want to come out. The metal inserts for the bush were well and truly seized onto the bolt. So here is what I do to remove them without destroying anything expect the bush.

The engine will have to come out. But if you are repairing/replacing the chassis rails the engine has to come out to do a proper job.

Remove the split pin and remove the 22mm nut on the subframe to chassis rail bolt.

Remove the steering rack, or at least the two main mounting bolts that go through the cross member. You do not need to pull the bolts all the way out, just enough to clear the rear subframe lower leg.

Remove the rear lower wishbone bolt.

Undo and pull out the front lower wishbone bolt just enough to clear the rear subframe lower leg.

Then you can push the leg off the subframe to chassis rail bolt and bush. You should end up with this.

IMAG0063_zps2f43db9d.jpg

Use a saw to remove the rubber part of the bush from the metal insert.

IMAG0065_zps89c425b3.jpg

IMAG0064_zps268373a1.jpg

Then you heat the metal insert, put a pair of grips onto it to stop it turning. Then use a spanner, wrench or impact gun to turn the bolt while holding the insert. It will free off very easily.

IMAG0066_zpsac777180.jpg

I then used some nylon bushes I have to reassemble it for now so I can still roll the car around.

IMAG0067_zps3dd83f63.jpg

IMAG0068_zps197bb21e.jpg

Repeat on the other side and job done. You still have the bolts and subframe in one piece. Just order a new bush and away you go. Once the chassis rail is repaired/replaced.

I do not recommend anyone tries this unless you have the relevant experience. As if you were to remove the lower wishbone front bolt completely the spring would do you no good at all. So be warned.

Edited by Snowy