Xve 696L - Not A Project I Just Want To Use It.

Mantney

Ok - one job I think note worthy is putting in the screen rubber filler strips. The garage had replaced the rubbers for me but, quite rightly, didn't want to put the old fillers back in (they were the wrong ones anyway and had been stuck in with mastick). I read a lot of horror stories online about doing this job but on the whole I didn't find it too taxing and was in fact relatively rewarding.

Firstly I ordered 2 of these of ebay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281102130612?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_426wt_1063.

I didnt bother with any fancy tools, instead I used the handle of a teaspoon. One thing that makes the job a lot easier is using a lubricant. I didn't want to use anything with an oily base nor did I want to use washing up liquid. In the end I got some water soluable lubricant from boots (yes that sort). I tried it with and without and it was so much easier with.

Basically heat up the strip in warm water, lube up the channel, and gently (and patiently) work the strip in with the teaspoon. But remember, when comming to the joins, the old saying 'measure twice, cut once' is well worth remembering.