My Manta Project

D16PJM

well hopefully I haven't bitten of more than I can chew but here it is, needs lots of welding the boot area is the biggest worry.

here it is once I got it home.

DSCF2573_zps9d91283a.jpg

here is the horror of the rest, I can see these are not made of the thickest metal

DSCF2574_zpsf94acf18.jpg

DSCF2577_zps7aa47e34.jpg

hole near battery tray and inner wing.

DSCF2575_zpsf1ebd726.jpg

boot area

DSCF2582_zps97ffb5ee.jpg

DSCF2583_zps5767db96.jpg

DSCF2584_zpsdb54dad9.jpg

I have taken the front wings off and it is better than I thought behind there, needs a couple of bits but have seen worse, the boot area is my concern as unsure what panels are available.

Im beginning to think I may be mad.

Pete

• Like 2

I agree with andy.and another reason is my manta is in far worse condition and i have had loads of people say why are you trying to repair your car its not worth it but i always say every good clasic car needs saving. so i think you should save yours.

im all for saving cars, I bought this in pieces, cost £800, now owes me a small fortune, only a phone picture so not the best quality, if I can get the manta as good as this I will be over the moon

IMG-20140513-00084_zpsca5543bd.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well with changing jobs recently iv had next to no time to do anything on the car, iv managed to remove the front wings, wire brush with a drill and treat the tin worm to stop it getting much worse, iv decided to start from the front back

This is what I have so far.

Drivers side

DSCF2587_zpsa6dc9654.jpg

DSCF2588_zpsca1f72db.jpg

DSCF2589_zps4b3788b5.jpg

passenger side

DSCF2591_zps43db5904.jpg

DSCF2590_zpsb207d391.jpg

Now I have to decide whether to plate it and have fun or do a proper job cutting out and replacing with new where available, the first option has an appeal as most will not be seen.

• Like 1

Thats just a light bit of welding for a manta, you should see some of the A series projects on here, some need the whole floor pan and boot floor replacing :-)

If your going to keep it for a while do a proper cut and replace job if not then just plate it. If you just plate it and then end up keeping it you will have wished you had done a proper job, trust me been there done the job twice :-)

nice looking car :-)

Andy

• 1 month later...

A small amount done tonight trying to get back into it, 1 hole on the inner wing cut out and a new piece put in, didn't get any pictures but has come out nice, also started on another hole, idea is to get the passenger side done first as that was the worst side, got my engine hoist at the ready to lift it out but finding somewhere to put it once out could be a problem as im out of room.

Pete

another couple of hours done and the inner wing is looking a lot better, I have cut out where visible and let pieces in and cut and plated where not so visible as its a bit quicker.

DSCF2777_zps59c51467.jpg

on the plated parts I normally use seam sealer so no water can get behind but got told the other day that it can actually cause it to rust, is that right.

Pete

• Like 2

Will only rust if it's bare metal under the seam sealer.

Joggle joints should be weld through primed, using weld through primer

I epoxy prime everything before seam sealing.

Many seam sealers out there, most are rubbish, I find the wurth product is the best, but 3m should be good