Gte Clutch Noise

i2000

hi,i have a noise coming from the clutch when the engine is warm and goes away when i press the pedal,it is only noticable at idle and not very loud,sometimes a vibrating noise and sometimes a rumbling noise and sometimes nothing,i have replaced the release bearing and still the same.i am told by the last owner that the clutch was about a month old when he took it off the road and is heavy duty,it still looked perfect so i put it back in,it has got the plastic washer on the pressure plate,i forget the make of it now.my friend had a similar problem with a new heavy duty clutch on his land rover that turned out to be the springs were loose inside the clutch plate,it is bugging me now,has this happened to anybody else.its a 1985 2.0l gte coupe and the clutch does not slip and the slippers on the fork were not worn,thanks.

After a 160 mile trip back from Billing yesterday mine was doing a similar thing. Not that loud but a definite rumbling. When clutch pedal pressed, goes away.

Was going to investigate when I had time. Clutch was looked at last year and had plenty of life on the plates.

Hi this sounds like the clutch release bearing?.

Yep, sounds like typical release bearing.

I always make sure the spring is on the release arm and clutch adjusted so it is not touching pressure plate when not in use - can't make a noise if not touching and won't last long at engine rpm

failing that its the bearing on first motion shaft in gearbox. its a double bearing roller and ball bearings in one. if you put some lucas gearbox additive it will go quiet. :unsure:

usual mistake thinking clutch bearing. :ph34r:

• Like 1

failing that its the bearing on first motion shaft in gearbox. its a double bearing roller and ball bearings in one. if you put some lucas gearbox additive it will go quiet. :unsure:

usual mistake thinking clutch bearing. :ph34r:

hi,the company i work for reconditions hgv gearboxes,i took it in because the cases were slightly leaking we opened it up cleaned and checked everything and resealed it,we couldnt find anything wrong,it was filled with new oil,could still be worth trying the additive though,thanks.

Hi this sounds like the clutch release bearing?.

i did change it last week but theres no way of knowing how long ago it was made maybe it could have dried out,i had a brand new master cylinder fail,when i took it apart one of the seals had perished.

I added a return spring at the gear box

IMG_1951.jpg

hi,should it have had a spring fitted originally because mine hasnt got one and cant see one in the manual,it would be a good idea and would eliminate the release bearing being at fault if its not in use when the pedal is released,will see what i can do tomorrow night,i ran it tonight and when i got back and turned the engine off there was a rattle that lasted about half a second then i started up again and there was also a rattle i hadnt noticed this before,the last owner/my neighbour said it was noisy before but to me somethings not right.thanks for the replies.

I added the spring after talking to my clutch guy.

I handed him a brand new Helix clutch friction plate I imported from the UK and a used 16V pressure plate to rebuild

he rebuilt the pressure plate with uped pressure and took one look at the brand new Helix friction plate and declared it "total shit!"

so he took the new Helix pressure plate, rebuilt that with new - new springs and changed the friction material to Kevlar

he then ground the flywheel and balanced the whole lot

7mm clearance for the bearing

he was the one that insisted I add the spring and make sure I had a clutch pedal stop in place

so no spring there from factory, you can see how I ended up adding it from the pic

.P3241924.jpg

P3251943.jpgP3251944.jpgP3251945.jpgP3261950.jpg

Edited by opelmantagsi

hi guys,i may be onto something,i was fitting a return spring as it seems a good idea to have and was the most easy thing to try first,i removed the rubber inspection plate from the other side of the box and it took a bit of effort to get any clearance between the bearing and pressure plate even with the clutch cable removed,i then removed the gaitor from the clutch arm and got plenty of clearance i tried fitting it different ways round and still tight so its getting in the way,i got it off ebay germany as it was all i could find at the time,it is supposed to be for a 2.0l 5 speed box the original had rotted away so i had nothing to compare it to,i have not adjusted the ball stud as the dimensions are as the book says.i did fit the gaitor to the gearbox when it was out of the car.

Hi.these were designed to have constant contact release bearings from new.no extra return springs ever fitted to my knowledge.its a good idea but can raise the pedal high .possibly high enough to bring on the clutch wear light or to have a strange feel to the pedal when pressing.you will be taking up the cable slack first before actually operating the arm.similar to the viva / chevette set up.if the noise goes away when you press the pedal it's not likely to be the bearing more like the first input bearing as previously mentioned .Also it's possible for the plastic thrust washer in the middle of the clutch to become worn but not simmetrically so this can cause the release bearing to vibrate a bit when resting on it .

• Like 1