Hey Guys

Hadi

This car is located about 15 miles south of Edinburg , and the number to call is 01578 750618 ask for Keith or Robbie , one of them know the owner and can deal with potential buyers , the barn is changing hands this month and I wouldn't want to see this car scrapped

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've been to see this car.I really hoped it wouldn't be to bad but in my opinion its a basket case.The corrosion really is spectacular,the swan necks are nearly gone completely and the rest of the legs a badly corroded.Floors dont look good and the ecu is visable from under the wings.I couldn't turn the engine so it may be siezed,as you would expect the fuel/brake pipes are knackered as is the exhaust.I'm sure theres more but i couldn't get a good look as it was dark.A real shame because it must have been a lovely car when it was parked up.I think it would be better to reshell but even the mechanical bits may be no good.I offered something to take it for wee bits for my car but have not heard anymore.

Spike

Sounds like it is something similar that blue gsi and myself broke a few years ago, the car was waaay too far gone to save but it did keep a lot of other manta's on the road, it was realistically priced as well.

Oh dear, there's a lot of folk who really have no idea about a price!

If you start with a Manta like this with the aim of making it top nick then it might end up worth £7,500 (and personally I think thats pushing it).

So if you got it for £500 then you've got £7k to spend on it.

I average 1 night a week and a Saturday on my classics so that might be 15 hours a week. Now a garage charges £35 an hour. If I rate my time at £20 an hour then after 350 hours I'm in the red. 350 hours at 15 hours a week is 23 weeks. That means I've only got 6 months to do it and I haven't even bought parts yet! Even if I lower my hourly rate to £10 an hour thats a year (still with no parts) and not too many cars get restored in less than that.

Obviously most of us don't do it with the intention of making money but it still doesn't stack up does it - no wonder so many classics get scrapped!

If someone on here did recommend this price they should think more before such recommendations!

As Jenson said - reality check needed!

I'm sure sense will prevail in the end  ...

I've been to see this car.I really hoped it wouldn't be to bad but in my opinion its a basket case.The corrosion really is spectacular,the swan necks are nearly gone completely and the rest of the legs a badly corroded.Floors dont look good and the ecu is visable from under the wings.I couldn't turn the engine so it may be siezed,as you would expect the fuel/brake pipes are knackered as is the exhaust.I'm sure theres more but i couldn't get a good look as it was dark.A real shame because it must have been a lovely car when it was parked up.I think it would be better to reshell but even the mechanical bits may be no good.I offered something to take it for wee bits for my car but have not heard anymore.

Spike

Oh dear, there's a lot of folk who really have no idea about a price!

If you start with a Manta like this with the aim of making it top nick then it might end up worth £7,500 (and personally I think thats pushing it).

So if you got it for £500 then you've got £7k to spend on it.

I average 1 night a week and a Saturday on my classics so that might be 15 hours a week. Now a garage charges £35 an hour. If I rate my time at £20 an hour then after 350 hours I'm in the red. 350 hours at 15 hours a week is 23 weeks. That means I've only got 6 months to do it and I haven't even bought parts yet! Even if I lower my hourly rate to £10 an hour thats a year (still with no parts) and not too many cars get restored in less than that.

Obviously most of us don't do it with the intention of making money but it still doesn't stack up does it - no wonder so many classics get scrapped!

If someone on here did recommend this price they should think more before such recommendations!

As Jenson said - reality check needed!

I'm sure sense will prevail in the end  ...

i agree completely. Shame to hear just how rotten it is :( Reckon my initial thoughts of potentially £1000 to £1500 if solid and saveable were a tad high bearing that in mind :(