My Wee A Series Rebuild

Dougs

Coming on nicely, what colour are you going to spray it.

Was going to go with a satin black for that kind of muscle car look. have had a change of heart a few times but keep coming back to the satin black. Which is good because ive already bought the paint

Spraying all day today 5 coats of primer starting to get the hang of it again [its not like riding a bike]. starting to look pretty good, getting the motivation up to get it on the road this summer.

thanks to snowy for letting me know those rover alloys wont fit. Need a quick fix as the wheels i want dont fit into the budget this year and dont really want to put new tyres on the rostyles as i want a bigger wheel to take bigger brakes

Keep at it will be cracking when done.

Gloss black would be way cooler in my opinion, please don't take offence but always think when I see a satin or matt black car it could look so much better with a shine! Especially the nice lines of the A series

Edited by Paul Barrett
  • Like 2

Keep at it will be cracking when done.

Gloss black would be way cooler in my opinion, please don't take offence but always think when I see a satin or matt black car it could look so much better with a shine! Especially the nice lines of the A series

I agree, even tho its an epic pain in the arse! I intend on keeping mine dirty! :D
  • Like 2

I must say i do agree but ive always fancied the look and think it will suit those 70s lines. As im sure shug would testify if you want to show up any imperfections in your prep paint it gloss black!! So think im going to stick with the satin for now although theres a good chance it will end up gloss in the future.

Its my first real car rebuild and i want to get it on the road this year, drive it for a bit then figure out what i want to do with it long term

Dont worry not easily offended, any ideas apreciated

Hi Dougs, maybe have a look at dip your car,, on you tube. Have been thinking about doing this on one of my other cars.

yea looks like quite a quick easy process to try different styles on your car and then just peel off and start again. could also be a quick fix for the tarnished chrome on the car

Really intresting stuff cheers mate

Got the car sprayed at the weekend and it looks cool! Had a few problems with the gun (don't use an lvlp gun for celly) but managed to get it on nice and even it's just a bit orange peel but as I said want to get the car on the road so just going to go with it for now

looking good! where was the spoiler from?

Spoiler came from lenk tuning in Germany. Nice guys to deal with, wasn't the best fit but with a bit of manipulation it comes out alright. The fibreglass is quite thin as well I would recommend a few extra layers to beef it up

• 3 weeks later...

Getting there with putting it back together but been somewhat sidetracked with the sun, beer and the view from the houseDSC_0047_zpsuxhdjyls.jpg?t=1428582796

Lights and fittings on all working after a bit of snagging grill still to be paintedDSC_0049_zpsxs9tn59j.jpg?t=1428582809DSC_0050_zpsrix9ye09.jpg?t=1428582809DSC_0088_zpswy7sstfx.jpg?t=1428582812

This is a seal we use in the boat world dont know if you guys use it but its really handy for putting trim on and staying clean. Its a butyl based sealant stips that are covered in tape so keeps it from sticking to everythingDSC_0052_zpsqxjxgdr3.jpgDSC_0053_zpske2dicfz.jpgDSC_0055_zpswirukunf.jpg

gave the door and window rubbers a good clean up in the bath left a lot of marks that wont come out [not popular]. So all door trims and quarter windows in and dont worry wont be using these wheels just had them lying around. put them on so i can refurbish the rostyles just going to go with them for nowDSC_0081_zpst9cvxejz.jpgDSC_0083_zpsv7naztwv.jpg?t=1428582809DSC_0084_zpsordmjsuq.jpg?t=1428582809

Also fitted the new fuel pump as i was still getting fuel in the oil and there was a leak coming from it. Thanks again to Julian for the non return valve for the servo working much better now

• Like 1

these wheels just had them lying around. put them on so i can refurbish the rostyles just going to go with them for now

I've seen worse on a Manta, infact if you painted the wheel centers the same colour as the body leaving a thin silver rim they would look great.

This Manta is coming along very nicely, will we see it at Billing??

Coming along really well, the vjew from your house is stunning.

Thanks man it's lovely bit on a farm overlooking loch lomond

I've seen worse on a Manta, infact if you painted the wheel centers the same colour as the body leaving a thin silver rim they would look great.

This Manta is coming along very nicely, will we see it at Billing??

Would love to make billing sounds like a good weekend. Don't know if she'll be ready by then but I'll give it a bash

• 2 weeks later...

Had the car out for another blast up the road, should really be working on it but ho heyDSC_0126_zpssuqlkxbt.jpg?t=1429638373DSC_0127_zps7b87x4x1.jpg?t=1429638373DSC_0128_zpskxumhwmj.jpg?t=1429638373

One of my better drunken ebay purchases

DSC_0131_zpszkexo9xh.jpg

DSC_0133_zpso2c1dbxt.jpg?t=1429638373

Painted up the grill, tried a few different options but back to all black again

DSC_0136_zpshu1mrqag.jpg?t=1429638360

• Like 5

Still waiting on my doors!! The one job I outsourced, its going to cause a family fall out unless my bro gets his finger out

Got the bumpers all cleaned up and fitted, they came up a lot better than I thought they would with steel wool and a gallon of autosol. The front bumper leans on the indicator lenses no matter how I manipulate it,. Is that normal?

OK, satin black A series with chrome trim rolling on ATS alloys, i nominate this Manta for the sub-zero category !!

If you do not bring this Manta to Billing you'll be thrown out of the Culb !!!

Cheers man, you can go to some pretty dark places during a rebuild so it really does perk you up when you get nice comments. Would love to make Billing but still got some ways to go

Cheers

Got the bumperss on and a few other bits and bobs done and well happy with the wheels

DSC_0155_zps6zdmlhx8.jpg?t=1430337636DSC_0156_zps12ixnxgf.jpgDSC_0159_zpsotzxx6w2.jpgDSC_0161_zpsrru2n4a7.jpgDSC_0162_zpsadrmesbc.jpg

Turning my attention to the interior now been measuring up for carpet and new material. Going to go with black carpet, black alcantara bolsters, dash and parts of the door cards. dark grey fluted seat centres and roughley mimic the door cards with this. No headrests and roll the trim over for a 70s style

Hopfully by the time thats done il have my bloody doors back

• Like 2