My Wee A Series Rebuild

Dougs

Bought myself a rover v8 engine today [ dont tell the wife ] Its the high compression version out an sd1. The guy had it lying around was always going to use it for something but never has, made him a cheeky low offer and he went for it. So planing to stick this in the manta at some point not this year though. will try and find some build threads for it as i know its been done a few times but if anyone has any info on a conversion that would be great so i can start squirreling away parts

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Door primed and ready for topcoat just need the other one and were nearly there. Been doing lots of odd jobs on her got the carpets all cleaned and dyed which worked a lot better than i thought it would, put led lights in the dash didnt know they only work one way round had me stumped for a bit, got a cherrybomb type back box and a flexable coupling which was a nice cheap option for this year. not a bad burble off it either.Put on the other steering wheel i have but doesnt have the inicator stopper on the boss and needs some sort of shroud to finish it off. Started making new door cards and been having a wee play about with making an opel blitz door pull. made up a new parcel shelf as well and then refitted rear window. All materials all ordered for interior now and finalised what were going to do inside. Luckily my mum does this sort of thing

Getting well exited now she might make the road this year

Sorry no photos as my smart phone has decided its to smart for me and stopped working

Getting well exited now she might make the road this year

THIS YEAR ???????

We all need to see / drool over / get jealous about this Manta at Billing in July !!!! sorry this year is just not good enough, tormenting all of us with pictures then denying us the chance to see it in the metal at Billing in July could get you ex-communicated from the club !!!!

• Like 1

THIS YEAR ???????

We all need to see / drool over / get jealous about this Manta at Billing in July !!!! sorry this year is just not good enough, tormenting all of us with pictures then denying us the chance to see it in the metal at Billing in July could get you ex-communicated from the club !!!!

I've been getting away with that for years.......

One day Shug, One day,

Perhaps if you don't make it to Billing this year we all should all follow 'The Clan' back to Scotland, pitch our tents outside your workshop and don't go home till your Manta is running perfect.

Indicator stopper is just a pin wedged in a hole drilled in the boss. Think I chucked mine, just have to remember to cancel indicator!

Get a new phone, we want pics!!

cancel the indicator how primitive :) . Whats the other push pin on the wheel is that for the horn?

Also is yours not on the road yet? I love your build thread and use it quite often. so thanks man it really has been a base for mine

THIS YEAR ???????

Would love to make Billing because people up here are getting bored to death of me talking about mantas, but this is my first build and i still have afair bit to sort out. You cannae fling me oot the club I need my fix

Looks wise i would say the one on the right, Black and silver echo's the exterior of the Manta.

Check your seating postion, the left one appears to have a deeper dish which might be what you need to have a comfortable arm postion when driving.

Went with the moutney wheel, horn contact on the boss isnt great but wheel cleaned up nicely

DSC_0197_zps4kdcd9of.jpg

Also got the carpets in the car for the first time and console etc to get a feel for the inside

DSC_0194_zpsydwqrslo.jpg?t=1433106995

Sprayed the carpets which were blue black, they were really badly sun bleached but came back really well. I know its a bit wheeler dealer but it will do for now

DSC_0187_zpseed54qz5.jpgDSC_0188_zps2t7ytgdn.jpgDSC_0189_zpsfkztqmmk.jpg

Also sprayed the headlinning which didnt work well with the autolym product but got rustoleum vinyl paint and that worked a treat

DSC_0186_zpswprr5eqo.jpg

• Like 1

I know its a bit wheeler dealer but it will do for now

I remember that episode, 'Brewer' changed the colour of a parcel shelf, but he used 'rattle can' piant, you have used proper dye so i do not see a problem with this as a long term solution, plus pulling off little tricks like this give you so much satisfaction and helps really make a car feel pert of your efforts.

Cheers Ian, Yea definatley perks you up when you can cut a corner here and there and even better when it turns out ok

This is the pro bomb (cherrybomb) back box and flexi coupling now fitted to the car nice burble for much cheapnessDSC_0190_zpszbtg0msv.jpgDSC_0192_zpsfeji4rng.jpg

Had a wee play making up a door pull and probabley do something similar on the parcel shelf with contrasting fabrics

DSC_0198_zps449proau.jpg?t=1433111303

Went to try on the seatbelts 5 min job, a few nights later and im no further forward. There was no interior in the car when i got it so not got a clue how it should be. its a later a series so the the top point is on the b pillar. I have an old messed up pair of belts and the top strong point has a loop for the belt to slide through with the inertia reel on the bottom which makes sence to me but on these newer looking belts there is no strong point loop for the top. i have lost the rag a few times with them so now looking for some wisdom from the forumDSC_0202_zpsgrxnpefg.jpg?t=1433359271DSC_0201_zps8c7nch7s.jpgDSC_0200_zpsl8tvguhx.jpg

Any ideas

I saw a car a tvr at the car show years ago and loved it so got the manta dash covered in black alcantara with double stitching around the binacle. It was a total nightmare to do there was absoloutley no give in the material. My mum is a seamstress and stitched it all up for me. I cover boat interior panels at work but they normally are flat or you can manipulate the material more. It did turn out pretty good though after a lot of hours. Its the opposite of the spray job where this time the pics dont do it justice it really does look the mutts and well worth the effortDSC_0219_zpsxduvtxqm.jpg

DSC_0211_zpsqdk43rkv.jpgDSC_0218_zpscrak25j3.jpg

DSC_0217_zpsfxj7n0vj.jpg

With ma wee mammy who did a great job

DSC_0214_zpsz2cbjexn.jpg?t=1433701613DSC_0222_zpsum9abkmq.jpg

Sorry theres so many photos but im well chuffed with it

chucked the seatbelts for now will worry about it later

• Like 3

Yes that dash does look good, a very long time ago, just after i left school, i had a job making three piece suites, stretching the material around the arms was always a bu66er of a job.

Will your We Mammy be taking group orders and giving a club discount???

Yes that dash does look good, a very long time ago, just after i left school, i had a job making three piece suites, stretching the material around the arms was always a bu66er of a job.

Will your We Mammy be taking group orders and giving a club discount???

No I can safely say definitely not! The dash was nearly thrown in the fire a couple of times and that was just making up the pattern for it. It really was a nightmare to do and mums pretty much retired now. I just gave her some flowers tonight to keep her sweet as I still need her to do the seats. Luckily I'm the favourite ha ha.

• 2 weeks later...

Right, give me a few days to wrap them up, then i will be able to freight a set of seats to you for your 'Wee Mammy' to give them the same treatment.....

They have come out really well.

There can not be much more to do before this Manta is finnished, a couple of weeks perhaps, just in time for Billing..... Because we need to see this Manta with our own eyes !!

Right, give me a few days to wrap them up, then i will be able to freight a set of seats to you for your 'Wee Mammy' to give them the same treatment.....

They have come out really well.

There can not be much more to do before this Manta is finnished, a couple of weeks perhaps, just in time for Billing..... Because we need to see this Manta with our own eyes !!

Cheers man. Yea I think billing may be bridge to far this year as I am still missing some essential components like BLOODY DOORS!!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I got my doors back still needed some welding but that's another story. Went to top coat them tonight and its bloomed quite badly so will need doing again the joys. Must have been to humid.

Done a few other jobs changed the rear slave cylinders and went to bleed the system again but couldn't get anything through the drivers front. Traced it back and turned out to be the flexi so hopefully that's the brakes done now which I have said before

Put in the larger screencast bottle which sits on top of the bulkhead. Made up a bracket for it but the pump wasn't working so took the one from the small bottle one with the pickup pipe and made it fit. Also put in New lines and jets

So getting there just another big jump backwards today. It seems to be going backwards more than forwards at the moment!