Pictures Of My Manta Gt/e Hatch

Jack

Ok, that's not standard, those trims were held on with silicone sealer or something.

You can get a sharp blade and scrape it off but there is already paint damage there that I can see, better off taking it to a bodyshop and letting them do it.

They are original because they all came off with GM clips, it's only those two panels that have been pasted on with this stuff for whatever reason and you can see where the holes in the panel have been filled in. Don't think there are any decent bodyshops round near me. Chesterfield bodyshops are a big no no!

So its not standard ! GM never put black shit on to glue it all on.  As you said, they used clips, white ones that locate on little metal pins that are part of the panel, and were not screwed on.

Are both examples of the black goop on the same panel or on different panel ?  To me one looks like its drivers side rear 1/4 and the other drivers side front wing.

Point remains, there is damage, needs professional sorting. 

No the car originally came out of the factory with the strips on because it has those metal pins that are welded to the door including the gm clips . For whatever reason they have been glued on with that gloopy stuff because they have been removed previously on that particular panel and stuck back on without using the clips.

Have you got a pic of the car with the strips fitted ?

I had a GTE hatch years ago that was the same, the weird thing was the strips were higher than the ones fitted to my Gold 1800 Berlinetta.  With the cars side by side (no pic, this was the 90s) it was really obvious.

Leave them on, especially if you use this car daily, example, park another car beside ur manta and try opening the door of that car, saves damage to ur manta, u may say, you never part side by side, but thats not to say some else wont!

Its ur car your choice after all, if it was me id be removing tiger seal, fittin original clips and refitting trim.

Good luck with ur choice lad

Im 100% sure the gte hatch was like pic below originally? If bump strips where fitted

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5286/5353492042_1955ceeed2_b.jpg

Look at the rear corner, behind rear wheel! Not fitted!

The 1.8s, gt, gtj and berlietta had 5 sections each side, all fitted by metal pins, to hold clips.

Gte has 4 strips except corner of rear quarters, thats why urs are bonded on? Replacement wings did not have these also!

Either way, they dont belong where you have tiger seal stuck to your paintwork! Not so easy fix in u want original as per red manta photo example

Edited by brady

Mine did have the metal pins in the doors with the clips holding them in place it's only 2 panels that it was bonded on for whatever reason. The red Hatch has the strips lower than mine were fitted but then again if they were not original why were they held on with original methods apart from those two panels that were bonded on? They actually look worse to me when they are lower down.

Yep, rear quarter back section, as they where never fitted here, maybe ur car has had a replacenent wing also.

Let me guess where the bond is, rear quarter, and one of the wings, passanger wing? Maybe!

Doors and section to rear of doors, pins are present?

I guess what has happened sometime in the past the strips were temporarily taken off for whatever reason and typically when doing this part of the white plastic clip brakes so they have got round the problem with the black 'gloop'

try some sort of solvant like white spirit unless it is the stuff that sets rock hard, in which case only a blade will reove it, there is a very small device that has a blade set so as you can shave off paint runs when spraying a car, one of these might do the trick.

There is some logic to keeping the strips on a 'Daily driver' car, a logic that will become obvious very quickly in the battle ground that is the supermaket car park (mum's who can't see over the stearing wheel of their oversized 4x4 hiting everything as they try and park, kids throwing doors open, runaway trollies etc etc)

I still think a temporary compromise would be to piant the strips white, wouldn't have all the trouble trying to eliminate the mounting 'nails' and they would not stand out nearly so much.

I had a GTE hatch years ago that was the same, the weird thing was the strips were higher than the ones fitted to my Gold 1800 Berlinetta.  With the cars side by side (no pic, this was the 90s) it was really obvious.

I think i know why, the strips at the 1800 hight would interfer with the GTE side skirt 'kick-up' infont of the rear wheel, the GTE coupe i encouterd i thought the strips had been add later because the 'kick-up' had a notch cut into it to clear the end of the strip, but the mounting 'nails' where definately factory fitted ( original underseal inside front wing, original sound deadening in the door )

So even Opels bodged this, it was a very early GTE  and i suspect side strips on a GTE were special order, so perhaps this was one of the first Manta's made with this combination and when they came to fit the side strips there was a 'oh crap' moment, then someone reached for a large file and put a notch in the 'kick-up', then a note was circulated to make sure GTE's having side strips had their 'nails' placed higher up !!

You could try a Toffee wheel to remove bits like that, although if you aren't experienced you can do some damage. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adhesive-removal-wheel-to-remove-Lettering-badge-logo-sticky-glue-residue-tool-/400674647669?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5d4a11ee75

Ideally best let a bodyshop sort it as the paint will need touching up anyway. Was going to suggest colour coding the side strips, but on white it can look a bit naff.

Well I don't know how many times I will keep saying this but THE.STRIPS.ARE.STAYING.OFF. They completely ruin a good GT/E and are 100% genuine and original and I got confirmation of this when I took them off. Somebody has took one or two of them off for whatever reason, panel repair etc and put back on with the bonding paste. 

Totally get the daily driver compromise with the strips but I can't put myself into that mentality, I don't want an ugly car because of idiots who can't park, I am building the Manta up I want and there is enough compromise when they were built in the first place. Only trouble is because of the strips being put back on with the bonding paste a few have been bent getting them off. I will try and sell them I think as I won't use them again. 

You nave set your heart on not having the strips, so as an interim measure you could remove the 'nails' very, very carefully with a dremel type tool. this would still leave a 'spot' but there would not be anything protruding that could injure anyone.