Building A Kadett C Coupe, What Manta Parts Can I Use?

Fermanta

Evenin all.

I'm currently restoring a C Coupe, and have a Manta 1800 hatch that was accident damaged. I am thinking of using the 1.8 engine and box, and possibly the rear axle. I haven't arched it, and I know the axle will be a tad wide, but will I get away with it? Could I use the front struts/brakes?

I've done several Kadetts/Chevettes, nothing will interchange at all, The 1.8 engine and box will need some fabrication work to get it in too.

If you're going to do an engine swap, you may as well do something like this

2a9458i.jpg

QWB155C........... same front wheel bearing on both so front hubs are interchangeable, and some associated brake parts, so not nothing.

Many people fit the Manta B rear axle. Manta A axle is preferred and the B one haspring hangers too far apart. Some fit them regardless though you can obviously re weld the hangers. The front torque tube mount the strip the mount out of that bolt on cross member.

The Kadett C was also built to take the OHV and CIH engines (in left hand drive so watch the carb choice / moving reservoir only or master and servo - but it can be done without) just like the Manta, so you will notice the Kadett C has 3 enging mount holes on the front cross member, put engine mounts in the CIH position and a CIH will, that of course means your 1.8 will because it was meant to sit in the CIH position in the Manta. The 5 speed box may be too big for the tunnel, but that can be modified or weld in the Manta tunnel, or use of of the 1,8 4 speed bell housings and older 4 speed box.

The lower Rad mount off the smaller OHV Kadett engines gets removed and you will see the hole in the rad crossmember ready for where the GTE Rad went.

Save the pieces of the front panel that have the Kadett Rad mount rubbers in, these cut off, the narroring bits cut off anf those first bits re-weld to the aperture to hold the rad.

Manta GTE Seats and hence 1.8 seats would fit but GTE subframes preferred because you take the front mounting tube and vertical brackets off a spare left one, lose the curvy tube off the Manta drivers side one and use the one off the spare left side one. Then it all bolts to standard mounts and any of the range of Recaro can be used including Manta GTE, Astra GTE, Cavalier SRI etc.

What else?

Lock set fits inc petrol cap

Steering column switch and cowling fits

Door handles fit

Light switch fits

Flasher unit

Washer bottle and pump

Anti roll bar links (though may be diff length) and mounts and / or clamps

Clutch and speedo cables, though a bit long

Coil

Some manufacturers list same shocks for both cars

Maybe track rod ends