Anyone Have A 400 Rear Axle Bracketry Jig?

falk5150

• 3 months later...

Some more info:

I noticed there is a small L- folded piece welded between the original Manta chassis-rail and the 400 chassis rail.

IMG_5102_zpsu3cqd6qd.jpg

It is 1cm by 1cm and 10.5cm long and curved to follow the chape of the rail.

Rahmen8_Ascona_400kl1_zps032ff7af.jpg

this picture shows also the welded piece.

• Like 1

Damo needed some more measurements, needed something that was compareble with the original

manta chassis. I stole a picture of Novasport because all the pics of 400 chassis are already

not suitable there they have slide-panels to protect the brackets etc...

@Novasport: sorry, it is because your chassis looks so good!

IMG_4854_zps04a60ab8.jpg

from the top centre of this bolt (going to the outside)in the left bracket to the centre of the water drain hole nr.2 is 68.7 cm.

from the top centre of this bolt (going to the outside)in the right bracket to the centre of the water drain hole nr.1 is 67.7cm.

9013411F-A842-4EB5-A545-AC8FD157A09E1%20

Grtz!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Digging up this topic as I'm doing some "sorting out" regarding a few 400 rear axle related things.

Just measuring up on a good straight 400 road car with no known accident history etc so I can make a jig for locating the rear chassis rail sections on the 'shell.

This is now done and I have made a few observations, which largely agree with what's above but just thought I'd record them here for posterity and future reference!

The upper link brackets appear to be as near as makes no difference 12 degrees outwards from perpendicular with the axle tube.

The upper links are 296mm long between centres

Lower links are 16 degrees inwards from perpendicular.

Lower link brackets on axle are spaced further apart on 400 axle compared to commodore axle

Upper link brackets are closer together on 400 than commodore

Rear shock absorber mounts are higher up on lower link brackets on 400 compared to commodore.

Panhard rod mounting is different between 400 and commodore

Edited by Retro Power

• 5 years later...
On 26/10/2014 at 19:12, H-400 said:

Hi Damo,

sorry for my late response, had some "to do's" (yes, I'm married...) and later I had time to look at the suspension of my 400.

Had to make the car free and tomorrow I will jack it up to check the differences.

I can give you the next plan of the chassis of a 400:

scannen0002_zpscdcf5f51.jpg

The biggest difference between a commo axle and a 400 one is that a commo's the linkings point forward, and a 400's linking arms have an angle. I think that is

wat you already wrote in your mail. The bottom linking arms (with the springs)point forward together, and the upper arms point outwards.

Tomorrow I will take some pictures and check the measurements.

Grts! Herman.

@H-400 Hi Herman, do you have this again? It's compressed on forum and clicking it no longer takes to original.

Must be possible to help you. I can still see everything on this topic but probably cause I posted a lot. Was in the days of photobucket or Tinypic...So copy & past can not work. But i'v got the pics on a flash card so think the best is I'll start a topic with all the info so everybody that needs it can use it. Give me some time Jess, I will sort it out.

• Thanks 2

That’s really interesting Herman, I haven’t ever seen photos of this car before. I have heard of a Hatchback i200 that was produced as a 1 off by Irmscher UK. I’ve not managed to find any photos of this one yet. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, H-400 said:

There was one 400 hatch produced, it was build  by Opel & Irmscher. Was a blue one and I spoke to the owner on one of those "400" meetings in Holland. Car was in a bad condition but the owner wanted to restore it. 

http://www.mantab.de/www.mantab.de/cms/front_contentdcc1.html?idcat=105

WOW great find Mate, very interesting stuff. 👍 a few pics on that site if pickups too, but again not high enough resolution to get much good positioning measurements off. 
But, solidifies in my mind why coupes are the true Manta, it was the real choice of Opel at the end of the day 😂 ( J/K hatch owners before you all tag team me lol ).

@Paul & Jess: There is a lot of new info to find out as an example I never knew the Exclusive was so much more build for the UK than the EU market. Learned that thanks to the OMOC forum. Some models are typical made for a local market as the "Guy Frequelin" in France:

Guy-Frequelin.jpg

The Silverjet from Switserland:

manta_B_Silverjet_1-706x1024.jpg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, H-400 said:

There was one 400 hatch produced, it was build  by Opel & Irmscher. Was a blue one and I spoke to the owner on one of those "400" meetings in Holland. Car was in a bad condition but the owner wanted to restore it. 

http://www.mantab.de/www.mantab.de/cms/front_contentdcc1.html?idcat=105

Yes this is the info i found whilst researching, thanks Herman. I knew it existed before, thought most knew about it! 

Learned something else direct from irmscher! All exclusives where finished by irmscher, thats a statement direct from irmscher, the story of gm finishing 88 cars is untrue! Apparently?

16 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

But, solidifies in my mind why coupes are the true Manta, it was the real choice of Opel at the end of the day 😂 ( J/K hatch owners before you all tag team me lol ).

How dare you!  That's codswallop!   😂

Edited by ®evo03
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1